Re: [PanoToolsNG] Historical details embedded in present day photos in perspective

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
      paul womack wrote:

      > So - does anyone know what Larenkov's technique is?

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/36383814@N00/3202721568/

      Bruno - you holdin' out on us?

      BugBear
    • bryant_arnett
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
        Hi. Neat stuff! I tried my hand at this a few years ago for the WWP....

        http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp306/html/BryantArnett-1902.html

        The hard part was finding the location! Then it was just a matter of lining up points on the buildings. I found that if my camera is in the exact location as the camera used for the original shot, the focal length and lens settings don't matter.

        ````````Bryant
      • Robert Slade
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
          bryant_arnett wrote:

          > The hard part was finding the location! Then it was just a matter of
          > lining up points on the buildings. I found that if my camera is in the
          > exact location as the camera used for the original shot, the focal
          > length and lens settings don't matter.

          That's because the perception of the scene is defined entirely by
          perspective. A 24mm lens has the same perspective as a 300mm lens for
          any given camera position.

          I also tried this type of project in 1997 with a series of old B&W
          postcards from the early 1900s. As you said, the hard part was finding
          the exact same location!

          Regards,
          Rob

          --
          Robert Slade, Photographer
          Manor Photography 07890 564889
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
            "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

            > This is nicely done I thought -- scenes from Russian(?) history overlaid in perspective on contemporary images. In a panorama they could fade in and out.
            > http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/
            >
            > Peter M

            Funny, I watched a 2009 video the other day about Patrick Chauvel, one of the greatest war photographer (still alive), who is preparing an exhibition combining his war photos with views of Paris :
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQWrsQGBiI&feature=player_embedded

            You will all recognize the software they used...

            Cheers,

            G.