Re: [PanoToolsNG] Historical details embedded in present day photos in perspective

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
      Matt Smith wrote:
      >>> http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/
      > One way or the other, thanks for showing, I just spent 20 minutes
      > looking at them.

      OK, after some googling, this is what I have so far.

      This has been all over the web-sphere in the last few days.

      There's some new software out

      http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/camera-software-lets-you-see-into-the-past/

      Which was then followed up by Sergey Larenkov's site.

      http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/gallery-of-rephotography-shows-wwii-in-todays-cities/

      But I Larenkov's work is much earlier than the recent buzz:

      http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2009/01/26/2235/

      Note the date.

      The ACM paper on the software is June 2010

      So - does anyone know what Larenkov's technique is?

      BugBear
    • paul womack
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
        paul womack wrote:

        > So - does anyone know what Larenkov's technique is?

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/36383814@N00/3202721568/

        Bruno - you holdin' out on us?

        BugBear
      • bryant_arnett
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
          Hi. Neat stuff! I tried my hand at this a few years ago for the WWP....

          http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp306/html/BryantArnett-1902.html

          The hard part was finding the location! Then it was just a matter of lining up points on the buildings. I found that if my camera is in the exact location as the camera used for the original shot, the focal length and lens settings don't matter.

          ````````Bryant
        • Robert Slade
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
            bryant_arnett wrote:

            > The hard part was finding the location! Then it was just a matter of
            > lining up points on the buildings. I found that if my camera is in the
            > exact location as the camera used for the original shot, the focal
            > length and lens settings don't matter.

            That's because the perception of the scene is defined entirely by
            perspective. A 24mm lens has the same perspective as a 300mm lens for
            any given camera position.

            I also tried this type of project in 1997 with a series of old B&W
            postcards from the early 1900s. As you said, the hard part was finding
            the exact same location!

            Regards,
            Rob

            --
            Robert Slade, Photographer
            Manor Photography 07890 564889
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
              "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

              > This is nicely done I thought -- scenes from Russian(?) history overlaid in perspective on contemporary images. In a panorama they could fade in and out.
              > http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/
              >
              > Peter M

              Funny, I watched a 2009 video the other day about Patrick Chauvel, one of the greatest war photographer (still alive), who is preparing an exhibition combining his war photos with views of Paris :
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQWrsQGBiI&feature=player_embedded

              You will all recognize the software they used...

              Cheers,

              G.