Re: [PanoToolsNG] Historical details embedded in present day photos in perspective

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
      panovrx wrote:
      > This is nicely done I thought -- scenes from Russian(?) history overlaid in perspective on contemporary images. In a panorama they could fade in and out.
      > http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/

      I suspect the artist has chosen the selections of the image to represent
      the different eras with care.

      I don't think that allowing the viewer to do it would be better.

      And I don't see how it could be a panorama at all - I'm guessing
      the OLD images are single images, with no scope for shooting more (!)

      BugBear
    • paul womack
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
        paul womack wrote:
        > panovrx wrote:
        >> This is nicely done I thought -- scenes from Russian(?) history overlaid in perspective on contemporary images. In a panorama they could fade in and out.
        >> http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/
        >
        > I suspect the artist has chosen the selections of the image to represent
        > the different eras with care.
        >
        > I don't think that allowing the viewer to do it would be better.
        >
        > And I don't see how it could be a panorama at all - I'm guessing
        > the OLD images are single images, with no scope for shooting more (!)

        BTW, does anyone know what technique he's using
        (or could use) to find out the focal length,
        and shooting point for the old photos?

        BugBear
      • Matt Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
          One way or the other, thanks for showing, I just spent 20 minutes
          looking at them.

          Matt Smith
          PhotoSpherix
          317.396.5791
          360 Product Photography
          Indianapolis, Indiana USA
          http://www.photospherix.com

          On Aug 3, 2010, at 8:11 AM, paul womack wrote:

          > panovrx wrote:
          >> This is nicely done I thought -- scenes from Russian(?) history
          >> overlaid in perspective on contemporary images. In a panorama they
          >> could fade in and out.
          >> http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/
          >
          > I suspect the artist has chosen the selections of the image to
          > represent
          > the different eras with care.
          >
          > I don't think that allowing the viewer to do it would be better.
          >
          > And I don't see how it could be a panorama at all - I'm guessing
          > the OLD images are single images, with no scope for shooting more (!)
          >
          > BugBear

        • paul womack
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
            Matt Smith wrote:
            >>> http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/
            > One way or the other, thanks for showing, I just spent 20 minutes
            > looking at them.

            OK, after some googling, this is what I have so far.

            This has been all over the web-sphere in the last few days.

            There's some new software out

            http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/camera-software-lets-you-see-into-the-past/

            Which was then followed up by Sergey Larenkov's site.

            http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/gallery-of-rephotography-shows-wwii-in-todays-cities/

            But I Larenkov's work is much earlier than the recent buzz:

            http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2009/01/26/2235/

            Note the date.

            The ACM paper on the software is June 2010

            So - does anyone know what Larenkov's technique is?

            BugBear
          • paul womack
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
              paul womack wrote:

              > So - does anyone know what Larenkov's technique is?

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/36383814@N00/3202721568/

              Bruno - you holdin' out on us?

              BugBear
            • bryant_arnett
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                Hi. Neat stuff! I tried my hand at this a few years ago for the WWP....

                http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp306/html/BryantArnett-1902.html

                The hard part was finding the location! Then it was just a matter of lining up points on the buildings. I found that if my camera is in the exact location as the camera used for the original shot, the focal length and lens settings don't matter.

                ````````Bryant
              • Robert Slade
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                  bryant_arnett wrote:

                  > The hard part was finding the location! Then it was just a matter of
                  > lining up points on the buildings. I found that if my camera is in the
                  > exact location as the camera used for the original shot, the focal
                  > length and lens settings don't matter.

                  That's because the perception of the scene is defined entirely by
                  perspective. A 24mm lens has the same perspective as a 300mm lens for
                  any given camera position.

                  I also tried this type of project in 1997 with a series of old B&W
                  postcards from the early 1900s. As you said, the hard part was finding
                  the exact same location!

                  Regards,
                  Rob

                  --
                  Robert Slade, Photographer
                  Manor Photography 07890 564889
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                    "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

                    > This is nicely done I thought -- scenes from Russian(?) history overlaid in perspective on contemporary images. In a panorama they could fade in and out.
                    > http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/
                    >
                    > Peter M

                    Funny, I watched a 2009 video the other day about Patrick Chauvel, one of the greatest war photographer (still alive), who is preparing an exhibition combining his war photos with views of Paris :
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQWrsQGBiI&feature=player_embedded

                    You will all recognize the software they used...

                    Cheers,

                    G.