Re: [PanoToolsNG] Pano2VR 3.0 beta

  • Woody Howard
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 2 3:26 PM
      Looks good on the iPad also. Hotspots on the map are a bit tough to
      activate. The Wiki links work fine on the initial pano but not on the
      others. Over all this looks good.

      Woody

      >>Go here: http://www.ggnome.com/3

      >>there you will find the HTML5 tour with hotspots

      >>Willy

      >>On Aug 2, 2010, at 21:52, Ned Chiariello wrote:

      >> Has anyone posted a HTML5 panorama on the internet from the new Pano2VR
      3.0 beta, I would like to see one.

    • Kathy Wheeler
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 2 4:10 PM
        On 08/03/2010, at 7:30 AM, Willy Kaemena wrote:
        > Go here: http://www.ggnome.com/3

        Hey! That html5 demo is really rather nice! I wish Firefox (Opera etc)
        would hurry up and catch up now!?!?

        I hate the click-drag (grumble grumble) navigation. I guess we have to
        learn to live with it, but would it be practical to have a sort-of
        power-user button for us oldies to reverse the way it works back to
        what we're used to?

        KathyW.
      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 2 4:15 PM
          On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...>wrote:

          > On 08/03/2010, at 7:30 AM, Willy Kaemena wrote:
          > > Go here: http://www.ggnome.com/3
          >
          > Hey! That html5 demo is really rather nice! I wish Firefox (Opera etc)
          > would hurry up and catch up now!?!?
          >
          > I hate the click-drag (grumble grumble) navigation. I guess we have to
          > learn to live with it, but would it be practical to have a sort-of
          > power-user button for us oldies to reverse the way it works back to
          > what we're used to?

          There is !
          just click and change the way the mouse behaves

          best
          AYRTON

          > KathyW.

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 2 4:55 PM
            On 2 Aug 2010, at 21:52, Ned Chiariello <panophoto@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone posted a HTML5 panorama on the internet from the new Pano2VR 3.0 beta, I would like to see one.

            Sure have!

            http://panotools-meeting.com/2010grp/

            Flash/QT versions to follow at some stage.

            Ian

            P.S. Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianjameswood/sets/72157623644613666/
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 2 5:12 PM
              No! We don't have to learn to live with it! We have to educate
              those who are less perceptive and more gullible that moving your
              viewpoint is more natural for an immersive vr than dragging the
              whole world around a fixed camera.

              I'm amazed at how easily so many people are giving in so fast.

              Kathy Wheeler wrote:
              > On 08/03/2010, at 7:30 AM, Willy Kaemena wrote:
              >> Go here: http://www.ggnome.com/3
              >
              > Hey! That html5 demo is really rather nice! I wish Firefox (Opera etc)
              > would hurry up and catch up now!?!?
              >
              > I hate the click-drag (grumble grumble) navigation. I guess we have to
              > learn to live with it, but would it be practical to have a sort-of
              > power-user button for us oldies to reverse the way it works back to
              > what we're used to?
              >
              > KathyW.

            • Kathy Wheeler
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 2 9:03 PM
                On 08/03/2010, at 9:15 AM, AYRTON wrote:

                > On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...
                > >wrote:
                >> a sort-of
                >> power-user button for us oldies to reverse the way it works back to
                >> what we're used to?
                >>

                > There is !
                > just click and change the way the mouse behaves

                Hrmmmmmm ... all I get when right-click is pop-up with "Back, Reload
                Page, Open in Dashboard" etc. Left click just drags. What am I doing
                wrong?

                KathyW.

                PS I do love the double-click "full screen" (window), and it caches
                beautifully.
              • jrgen_schrader
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 2 9:30 PM
                  >What am I doing wrong?

                  Try the hand icon in the navigation bar.

                  ;)

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

                  > On 08/03/2010, at 9:15 AM, AYRTON wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...
                  > > >wrote:
                  > >> a sort-of
                  > >> power-user button for us oldies to reverse the way it works back to
                  > >> what we're used to?
                  > >>

                  > > There is !
                  > > just click and change the way the mouse behaves
                  >

                  > Hrmmmmmm ... all I get when right-click is pop-up with "Back, Reload
                  > Page, Open in Dashboard" etc. Left click just drags. What am I doing
                  > wrong?
                  >
                  > KathyW.
                  >
                  > PS I do love the double-click "full screen" (window), and it caches
                  > beautifully.

                • Eric O'Brien
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 2 11:40 PM
                    I don't care at all for "drag move the image" as opposed to "drag
                    moves the 'camera'." I hope he offers the ability for the pano
                    creator to choose either approach.

                    eo

                    On Aug 2, 2010, at 2:30 PM, Willy Kaemena wrote:

                    > Go here: http://www.ggnome.com/3
                    >
                    > there you will find the HTML5 tour with hotspots
                    >
                    > Willy
                    >
                    > On Aug 2, 2010, at 21:52, Ned Chiariello wrote:
                    >
                    > > Has anyone posted a HTML5 panorama on the internet from the new
                    > Pano2VR 3.0 beta, I would like to see one.
                    > >
                    > ___

                  • Eric O'Brien
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 2 11:47 PM
                      Well, I certainly am glad to find this... so it IS possible.

                      (The "hand" icon is not present in all of the samples however.)

                      On Aug 2, 2010, at 9:30 PM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

                      > >What am I doing wrong?
                      >
                      > Try the hand icon in the navigation bar.
                      >
                      > ;)
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > On 08/03/2010, at 9:15 AM, AYRTON wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...
                      > back to
                      > > >>

                      > > > There is !
                      > > > just click and change the way the mouse behaves
                      > >

                      > > Hrmmmmmm ... all I get when right-click is pop-up with "Back, Reload
                      > > Page, Open in Dashboard" etc. Left click just drags. What am I doing
                      > > wrong?
                      > >
                      > > KathyW.
                      > >
                      > > PS I do love the double-click "full screen" (window), and it caches
                      > > beautifully.

                    • Eric O'Brien
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 3 12:07 AM
                        Very much agree!

                        Luckily, it does appear to be possible to switch between dragging the
                        background and dragging the viewpoint. It's just that the "hand" icon
                        is not displayed on the toolbars of all the samples.

                        For me, the "dragging the background" approach completely breaks the
                        illusion of immersion. Instead of steering a viewpoint left/right or
                        up/down to view a static external world, you are looking through a
                        peephole and dragging some seamless picture past it, little bits at at
                        time. Scooch, scooch, scooch... scooch, scooch.

                        A big "Yuck!" from me on that. Is there a "thumbs down" smiley??

                        The motion also is clunky and only as smooth as you can move your
                        mouse (or finger) -- which means that the motion is NOT smooth. Also,
                        with this mode any pan or tilt you perform will stop abruptly at the
                        edge of the screen, or the edge of your trackpad, or when you run out
                        of space sliding your mouse across your desktop.

                        I think "dragging the background" also reduces the perceived quality
                        of the product. To me, it looks cheaper. :(

                        eo

                        On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

                        > No! We don't have to learn to live with it! We have to educate
                        > those who are less perceptive and more gullible that moving your
                        > viewpoint is more natural for an immersive vr than dragging the
                        > whole world around a fixed camera.
                        >
                        > I'm amazed at how easily so many people are giving in so fast.
                        >
                        > Kathy Wheeler wrote:
                        > > On 08/03/2010, at 7:30 AM, Willy Kaemena wrote:
                        > >> Go here: http://www.ggnome.com/3
                        > >
                        > > Hey! That html5 demo is really rather nice! I wish Firefox (Opera
                        > etc)
                        > > would hurry up and catch up now!?!?
                        > >
                        > > I hate the click-drag (grumble grumble) navigation. I guess we
                        > have to
                        > > learn to live with it, but would it be practical to have a sort-of
                        > > power-user button for us oldies to reverse the way it works back to
                        > > what we're used to?
                        > >
                        > > KathyW.

                      • Robert Bilsland
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 3 12:36 AM
                          Thomas included the option of click to drag a few minor revisions ago. So it is possible for the person creating the panoramic view to choose their choice of navigation and if they want to provide a button to change.

                          As for what feels the most natural method to use it's all personal choice, but I've found that on touch based devices it's very natural to grab the view you can see and feel like you are physically moving it.

                          Bob.

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Eric O'Brien <ericob@...> wrote:

                          > Very much agree!
                          >
                          > Luckily, it does appear to be possible to switch between dragging the
                          > background and dragging the viewpoint. It's just that the "hand" icon
                          > is not displayed on the toolbars of all the samples.
                          >
                          > For me, the "dragging the background" approach completely breaks the
                          > illusion of immersion. Instead of steering a viewpoint left/right or
                          > up/down to view a static external world, you are looking through a
                          > peephole and dragging some seamless picture past it, little bits at at
                          > time. Scooch, scooch, scooch... scooch, scooch.
                          >
                          > A big "Yuck!" from me on that. Is there a "thumbs down" smiley??
                          >

                          > The motion also is clunky and only as smooth as you can move your
                          > mouse (or finger) -- which means that the motion is NOT smooth. Also,
                          > with this mode any pan or tilt you perform will stop abruptly at the
                          > edge of the screen, or the edge of your trackpad, or when you run out
                          > of space sliding your mouse across your desktop.
                          >
                          > I think "dragging the background" also reduces the perceived quality
                          > of the product. To me, it looks cheaper. :(
                          >
                          > eo
                          >
                          > On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Ken Warner wrote:
                          >
                          > > No! We don't have to learn to live with it! We have to educate
                          > > those who are less perceptive and more gullible that moving your
                          > > viewpoint is more natural for an immersive vr than dragging the
                          > > whole world around a fixed camera.
                          > >
                          > > I'm amazed at how easily so many people are giving in so fast.
                          > >
                          > > Kathy Wheeler wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hey! That html5 demo is really rather nice! I wish Firefox (Opera
                          > > etc)
                          > > > would hurry up and catch up now!?!?
                          > > >
                          > > > I hate the click-drag (grumble grumble) navigation. I guess we
                          > > have to
                          > > > learn to live with it, but would it be practical to have a sort-of
                          > > > power-user button for us oldies to reverse the way it works back to
                          > > > what we're used to?
                          > > >
                          > > > KathyW.

                        • Christian Bloch
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 3 3:12 AM
                            On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Robert Bilsland wrote:

                            > As for what feels the most natural method to use it's all personal choice, but I've found that on touch based devices it's very natural to grab the view you can see and feel like you are physically moving it.

                            That's true. Maybe a grab-drag style (with some more inertia) should be default for touch devices and click-spin for mouse computers. Both optional, with a switcher button...

                          • Keith Martin
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 5 4:03 AM
                              Sometime around 3/8/10 (at 09:10 +1000) Kathy Wheeler said:

                              >I hate the click-drag (grumble grumble) navigation.

                              So do I. And far more than the issue of which direction to drag, I
                              HATE that I can't click-drag-hold to keep turning. This is a big fat
                              fly in the ointment. I REALLY hope this can be changed. >:-(

                            • Keith Martin
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 5 5:11 AM
                                Sometime around 5/8/10 (at 12:03 +0100) Keith Martin said:

                                >I REALLY hope this can be changed. >:-(

                                Before anyone gets the wrong impression - I am *delighted* that both
                                Pano2VR and PTGui are moving fast in the HTML5 direction. I also
                                agree that the 'different drag direction' thing is somewhat of a
                                platform-specific thing; it *does* feel different on an iPhone or
                                iPad than on a mouse-driven desktop or laptop.

                                My beef is really the same as with Google Street View - it forces me
                                to click-drag-let go, click-drag-let go, over and over if I want to
                                look all around. Whereas all other VR pano engines - including
                                Pano2VR SWF output - will keep the image turning while the 'mouse' is
                                down.

                                I wonder whether the HTML5 behaviour is actually a fundamental part
                                of the format or whether it is just an early convention that has
                                started to form?

                              • Ian Wood
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 5 6:10 AM
                                  You're aware that Thomas has written *both* types of navigation into his HTML viewer? :-)

                                  Use the new simplex skin/controller like I have on the updated PTM group pano and you can swap between them.

                                  Ian

                                  (From the very nice Rock Inn on Dartmoor, surrounded by panoramic photographers...)

                                  On 5 Aug 2010, at 13:11, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

                                  > My beef is really the same as with Google Street View - it forces me
                                  > to click-drag-let go, click-drag-let go, over and over if I want to
                                  > look all around. Whereas all other VR pano engines - including
                                  > Pano2VR SWF output - will keep the image turning while the 'mouse' is
                                  > down.
                                • rj_profile2004
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 5 6:55 AM
                                    Here is my first test:

                                    http://terra360.com/temp/racetrack_html5.html

                                    works on iPad, and Safari on Mac, but not on Firefox (Mac)

                                    runs on iPhone 4 but best in vertical orientation. I think I have it formatted too large frankly. (1024 x 768).

                                    I have not tested it on my PC yet.

                                    But Thomas did a great job on this new software, I am sure improvements will come.

                                    ~ Rusty

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 5 7:45 AM
                                      Rusty,
                                      Works like a charm

                                      best
                                      AYRTON

                                      ------------
                                      | A Y R |
                                      | T O N |
                                      ------------
                                      + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                                      + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                                      http://ayrton360.com
                                      twitter.com/ayrton360

                                      On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:55 AM, rj_profile2004 <4x9@...> wrote:

                                      > Here is my first test:
                                      >
                                      > http://terra360.com/temp/racetrack_html5.html
                                      >
                                      > works on iPad, and Safari on Mac, but not on Firefox (Mac)
                                      >
                                      > runs on iPhone 4 but best in vertical orientation. I think I have it
                                      > formatted too large frankly. (1024 x 768).
                                      >
                                      > I have not tested it on my PC yet.
                                      >
                                      > But Thomas did a great job on this new software, I am sure improvements
                                      > will come.
                                      >
                                      > ~ Rusty
                                      >
                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ned Chiariello <panophoto@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Has anyone posted a HTML5 panorama on the internet from the new Pano2VR
                                      > 3.0 beta, I would like to see one.

                                    • Roger D. Williams
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 5 7:56 AM
                                        On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 22:55:13 +0900, rj_profile2004 <4x9@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Here is my first test:
                                        >
                                        > http://terra360.com/temp/racetrack_html5.html
                                        >
                                        > works on iPad, and Safari on Mac, but not on Firefox (Mac)
                                        >
                                        > runs on iPhone 4 but best in vertical orientation. I think I have it
                                        > formatted too large frankly. (1024 x 768).
                                        >
                                        > I have not tested it on my PC yet.
                                        >
                                        > But Thomas did a great job on this new software, I am sure improvements
                                        > will come.

                                        Hmmm. It had a very strange effect on my iPhone 3G. It flipped me over to
                                        Google every time I tried to access this URL.

                                        On a PC with Opera, it produced a small square image in the upper LH
                                        corner.

                                        On the same PC with Safari, it showed a panorama about one quarter full
                                        screen size in the upper left quartile of my 22" screen, and when I
                                        double clicked on it, it went to full screen. I like the ability to
                                        switch instantly between the two screen display areas.

                                        Promising, but not ready for prime time yet.

                                        Roger W,

                                        --
                                        Business: www.adex-japan.com
                                        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 5 9:05 AM
                                          Sometime around 5/8/10 (at 14:10 +0100) Ian Wood said:

                                          >You're aware that Thomas has written *both* types of navigation into
                                          >his HTML viewer? :-)

                                          Nope, I haven't had a chance to use it yet - I just tried the
                                          panorama demos. [blush]

                                          I *really* hope the default behaviour is not the crude start-stop
                                          one. This is the time where that sort of convention can be
                                          established. What should be considered the default and what the
                                          optional choice?

                                          Also, are we talking about the drag direction AND, separately, the
                                          continuous-drag behaviour? I'd like to keep those concepts separate.

                                        • rj_profile2004
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 5 9:25 AM
                                            http://terra360.com/temp/racetrack_html5.html

                                            > Hmmm. It had a very strange effect on my iPhone 3G. It flipped me over to Google every time I tried to access this URL.

                                            that tells me you had the URL wrong.

                                            > On a PC with Opera, it produced a small square image in the upper LH
                                            > corner.

                                            yes, this is what I get on Firefox on the Mac. Very strange.

                                            > On the same PC with Safari, it showed a panorama about one quarter full screen size in the upper left quartile of my 22" screen, and when I double clicked on it, it went to full screen. I like the ability to switch instantly between the two screen display areas.

                                            on my PC, Safari gave me a weird little rotating "3D like" flat image, a small square in the middle of the screen. IE gave me a small blank box in the upper left with an even smaller X in the upper left hand corner. Firefox yielded a black screen.

                                            > Promising, but not ready for prime time yet.
                                            >
                                            > Roger W,

                                            agreed, HTML5 seems to work better for Steve Jobs than me. Perfect on the iPad, but little else.

                                            ~ Rusty
                                          • Eric O'Brien
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 5 9:50 PM
                                              On Aug 5, 2010, at 9:05 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

                                              > Also, are we talking about the drag direction AND, separately, the
                                              > continuous-drag behaviour? I'd like to keep those concepts separate.

                                              Hmm...

                                              That's an interesting point. But, at least in the examples I've seen,
                                              the difference is not as simple as having the drag directions reversed.

                                              In the "traditional" approach, where you drag the "viewpoint/camera"
                                              toward what you want to see, the mouse down position does not seem to
                                              be "attached" to something in the scene. Instead, it is simply the
                                              place where you "grabbed hold" of the "camera." When you drag away
                                              from that point, you are "pulling" the camera's view in that
                                              direction. As long as the pointer is away from the mouse down
                                              location, the "pull" continues. If you drag back and forth *quickly*
                                              it is possible for the view to move in a direction opposite from which
                                              you are (at the moment) dragging your mouse.

                                              In the "drag the background" approach, it isn't just that the drag
                                              direction "is reversed": you have the impression of having "grabbed
                                              hold of" some part of the image that you are viewing. (However, at
                                              least with the current version of Pano2VR, the "grab" isn't *quite*
                                              solid. If you note the place that you mouse down, then drag back and
                                              forth and up and down a bit, you'll notice that the point in the image
                                              that's under the mouse point has changed. There's a bit of "sliding"
                                              going on. I wonder if this is intentional.)

                                              At any rate, my POINT here is that if you mouse down and drag and the
                                              viewpoint keeps moving even though you've stopped moving your mouse,
                                              that is going to feel very different than if you "grab hold of part of
                                              the image," drag and stop moving your finger *but the image "breaks
                                              free" of your hold and keeps moving!*

                                              The way I found (using an iPad for 5 minutes, mind you) to keep the
                                              image moving was to gently brush my finger across the screen every few
                                              moments.

                                              eo

                                            • Willy Kaemena
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 6 4:06 AM
                                                I could just complete my first HTML5 test which contains an switch to test both dragging/ spinning methods ( to switch behavior click the hand symbol)

                                                http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/iPad/EC/EastCoast.html

                                                this panorama is made for the iPad in mind, but it is also visible on HTML5 savvy browsers on the computer. It should also work on the iPhone albeit it is a bit large ( filesize ) for it.

                                                Will have to create a device sensing site in order to switch between different size versions for the different devices. Anybody could give me a helping hand for that?

                                                - Mac/PC
                                                - iPhone
                                                - iPad

                                                Willy

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 7 3:02 PM
                                                  Am 06.08.2010 06:50, schrieb Eric O'Brien:
                                                  > In the "drag the background" approach, it isn't just that the drag
                                                  > direction "is reversed": you have the impression of having "grabbed
                                                  > hold of" some part of the image that you are viewing. (However, at
                                                  > least with the current version of Pano2VR, the "grab" isn't*quite*
                                                  > solid. If you note the place that you mouse down, then drag back and
                                                  > forth and up and down a bit, you'll notice that the point in the image
                                                  > that's under the mouse point has changed. There's a bit of "sliding"
                                                  > going on. I wonder if this is intentional.)

                                                  I guess this is because you actually change the angle with the mouse but
                                                  the panorama is mapped to rectilinear. To have the position solid an
                                                  additional calculation would be needed. You can see it more pronounced
                                                  if you zoom out...