Re: OT-In a pricing quandry. Hourly rate would be too high.

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 1, 2010
      Getting the right contract is not sooo complicated.
      Most important is to define what may where be published, for what purpose and how long (for prints also include size and circulation).

      Next level could be to define when you deliver the images, how you deliver the images and which tasks the customer has (e.g. room decoration, room cleaning, etc.), that retouching is not included and what the hourly rate is if the customer wants retouching, when payment is expected, etc.

      Good luck
      J├╝rgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

      > We have struck a deal for a virtual tour that includes five panoramas. Any suggestions on items that need to be included in the contract that pertain to rights and usage?
      >
      > I found out yesterday that a photo I did last summer was on the inside cover of a small magazine here in AR and my credit was omitted. I gave permission for the photo to be used as long as it included my name. I have contacted the ad agency that approached me about the photo to see if it can be rectified.
      >
      > Needless to say, with these two incidents I am getting wary. I don't want to fail to include something in the virtual tour contract that will come back and bite me in the butt.
      >
      > sh

    • Scott Highton
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 1, 2010
        ASMP's forms and paperwork examples have always been good. ASMP has
        long been one of the leading organizations in the world protecting and
        promoting the interests of professional photographers whose work is
        for publication. While some may feel their sample terms and
        conditions are overkill, they are all derived from real life
        experiences of professional photographers and intended to help other
        photographers protect themselves from as many unfortunate business
        experiences as possible.

        I should remind you also that there is an entire section (five
        chapters) of my new Virtual Reality Photography book devoted to
        business concerns for VR photographers. You can see more about this at:
        http://www.vrphotography.com/bookpromo.html

        Additionally, there is quite a bit of free business practices
        information on the Virtual Reality Photography web site. For a case
        study showing how three leading VR photographers (also all ASMP
        members at the time) estimated the same project, including all their
        respective terms and conditions, go to:
        http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/casestudies/vrestimate2003.html

        Even if the figures and rates don't seem appropriate to your
        particular market or business, look carefully at the kinds of terms
        and conditions that each photographer uses on their Estimates. These
        may help guide you in better crafting your own.

        Other useful business information from the vrphotography.com web site
        can be found at:
        http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/askexperts/askexperts.html
        http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/askexperts/business/pricingvr.html
        http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/askexperts/business/sample%20forms.html