Re: Seams are always a problem. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1 3:02 AM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

      > I shouldn't rotate them?

      You can rotate them before input to PTGui as much as you like, but make sure that they end up being all rotated through the same angle (and in the same direction) with respect to the camera's raw landscape orientation. e.g. all rotated by -90 or all rotated by +90, with due allowance being made for the tendency of the camera's orientation sensor data to be unreliable for the zenith and nadir shots.

      The simplest way to avoid all these troubles is to turn off the auto rotate feature in the camera. Then, either submit all the images to PTGui in their natural landscape orientation, or rotate them all by -90 degrees into portrait orientation if you prefer then the right way up.

      John
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1 4:15 PM
        Just my own $.02, but I ALWAYS shoot 10 degrees up with a fisheye lens. That
        ensures I get overlap on the zenith, and there will always be hole that
        needs patching in the nadir. Especially with fisheye lenses, I find that the
        overlap gives me clean zeniths without light falloff that can happen so
        easily.

        Just to keep things easier, I have a PTGui template that I use as my
        starting point, then create control points from there. 15 minutes at most
        from start to finish of stitching with 5000x10000 pixel images.

        Mark
        www.virtual-travels.tumblr.com
        www.northernlight.net
        www.pinnacle-vr.com