Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Questions about 10-17mm zoom fisheye

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 10:44 PM
      On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 03:41:00 +0900, John Houghton
      <j.houghton@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
      > wrote:
      >> Question 2
      >>
      >> I have several times read that twisting the camera so that the
      >> diagonal of the sensor frame is vertical is no help if you have
      >> a lens that already fills the entire frame. I don't see that...
      >> If you put the diagonal vertical, you will reduce the size of any
      >> nadir or zenith holes and may even eliminate them.
      >
      > Roger, The problem is that you don't get nice tidy circular holes. They
      > become more like a circular saw shape or like the petals of a flower.
      > Try varying pitch and roll of some sample images in PTGui and you will
      > see what I mean.

      I know what you mean, John, and saw this for myself when I tried to
      get my 10.5mm Nikon full-frame fisheye to give me four-around by
      tilting it. The "petals" were huge and quite intractable.

      But, but, BUT! The only problem I'll have with this lens + six around
      is the need to fill the nadir and zenith. I thought that if I tilted
      the camera and lens until the 180-degree diameter stretched from top
      to bottom of the images, I might do away with the holes altogether.

      The Pentax\Tokina does have 180-degree FOV along the diagonal at
      the 10mm end, if I remember right. Well, I'll soon know... <grin>

      I saw such good things written about the 10-17mm zoom fisheye
      that I wanted to give it a go. I hesitated over the considerably more
      expensive Sigma 8-16mm rectilinear lens because I know I could get
      good use out of that for general photography, but eventually plumped
      for my FIFTH fisheye lens (after Zenit, Peleng, Nikon and Sigma).
      I can always "de-fish" the images...

      Will report back later on the results...

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
        Am 31.07.2010 14:56, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
        > I know the Tokina version of this lens, which is available in Nikon
        > and Canon mounts, is in much wider use than the Pentax version, but
        > I am hoping that someone knows the NPP, perhaps expressed in mm from
        > the front glass? Or some other non-variable feature of the lens?

        You mean the Tokina 10-17mm f3.5 DX?
        http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database has a value...

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
          On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 04:11:56 +0900, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

          > Am 31.07.2010 14:56, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
          >> I know the Tokina version of this lens, which is available in Nikon
          >> and Canon mounts, is in much wider use than the Pentax version, but
          >> I am hoping that someone knows the NPP, perhaps expressed in mm from
          >> the front glass? Or some other non-variable feature of the lens?
          >
          > You mean the Tokina 10-17mm f3.5 DX?
          > http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database has a value...

          Thank you very much, Erik. Exactly what I wanted to know. I must remember
          to look in the Wiki every time I have a query, it so often has the answer.
          I cannot really understand my reluctance to use a Wiki, but it is generally
          the LAST place I think of.

          Roger W.