Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Questions about 10-17mm zoom fisheye

  • mick crane
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
      On Sat, July 31, 2010 7:41 pm, John Houghton wrote:
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Question 2
      >>

      >> I have several times read that twisting the camera so that the
      >> diagonal of the sensor frame is vertical is no help if you have a lens
      >> that already fills the entire frame. I don't see that... If you put the
      >> diagonal vertical, you will reduce the size of any nadir or zenith holes
      >> and may even eliminate them.
      >
      > Roger, The problem is that you don't get nice tidy circular holes. They
      > become more like a circular saw shape or like the petals of a flower.
      > Try varying pitch and roll of some sample images in PTGui and you will
      > see what I mean.

      it is really confusing like that and holding a pole horizontally to decide
      which is up
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
        On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 03:41:00 +0900, John Houghton
        <j.houghton@...> wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
        > wrote:
        >> Question 2
        >>
        >> I have several times read that twisting the camera so that the
        >> diagonal of the sensor frame is vertical is no help if you have
        >> a lens that already fills the entire frame. I don't see that...
        >> If you put the diagonal vertical, you will reduce the size of any
        >> nadir or zenith holes and may even eliminate them.
        >
        > Roger, The problem is that you don't get nice tidy circular holes. They
        > become more like a circular saw shape or like the petals of a flower.
        > Try varying pitch and roll of some sample images in PTGui and you will
        > see what I mean.

        I know what you mean, John, and saw this for myself when I tried to
        get my 10.5mm Nikon full-frame fisheye to give me four-around by
        tilting it. The "petals" were huge and quite intractable.

        But, but, BUT! The only problem I'll have with this lens + six around
        is the need to fill the nadir and zenith. I thought that if I tilted
        the camera and lens until the 180-degree diameter stretched from top
        to bottom of the images, I might do away with the holes altogether.

        The Pentax\Tokina does have 180-degree FOV along the diagonal at
        the 10mm end, if I remember right. Well, I'll soon know... <grin>

        I saw such good things written about the 10-17mm zoom fisheye
        that I wanted to give it a go. I hesitated over the considerably more
        expensive Sigma 8-16mm rectilinear lens because I know I could get
        good use out of that for general photography, but eventually plumped
        for my FIFTH fisheye lens (after Zenit, Peleng, Nikon and Sigma).
        I can always "de-fish" the images...

        Will report back later on the results...

        Roger W.

        --
        Business: www.adex-japan.com
        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
          Am 31.07.2010 14:56, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
          > I know the Tokina version of this lens, which is available in Nikon
          > and Canon mounts, is in much wider use than the Pentax version, but
          > I am hoping that someone knows the NPP, perhaps expressed in mm from
          > the front glass? Or some other non-variable feature of the lens?

          You mean the Tokina 10-17mm f3.5 DX?
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database has a value...

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
            On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 04:11:56 +0900, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

            > Am 31.07.2010 14:56, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
            >> I know the Tokina version of this lens, which is available in Nikon
            >> and Canon mounts, is in much wider use than the Pentax version, but
            >> I am hoping that someone knows the NPP, perhaps expressed in mm from
            >> the front glass? Or some other non-variable feature of the lens?
            >
            > You mean the Tokina 10-17mm f3.5 DX?
            > http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database has a value...

            Thank you very much, Erik. Exactly what I wanted to know. I must remember
            to look in the Wiki every time I have a query, it so often has the answer.
            I cannot really understand my reluctance to use a Wiki, but it is generally
            the LAST place I think of.

            Roger W.