Re: Questions about 10-17mm zoom fisheye

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
      > Question 2
      >
      > I have several times read that twisting the camera so that the
      > diagonal of the sensor frame is vertical is no help if you have
      > a lens that already fills the entire frame. I don't see that...
      > If you put the diagonal vertical, you will reduce the size of any
      > nadir or zenith holes and may even eliminate them.

      Roger, The problem is that you don't get nice tidy circular holes. They become more like a circular saw shape or like the petals of a flower. Try varying pitch and roll of some sample images in PTGui and you will see what I mean.

      John
    • mick crane
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
        On Sat, July 31, 2010 7:41 pm, John Houghton wrote:
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> Question 2
        >>

        >> I have several times read that twisting the camera so that the
        >> diagonal of the sensor frame is vertical is no help if you have a lens
        >> that already fills the entire frame. I don't see that... If you put the
        >> diagonal vertical, you will reduce the size of any nadir or zenith holes
        >> and may even eliminate them.
        >
        > Roger, The problem is that you don't get nice tidy circular holes. They
        > become more like a circular saw shape or like the petals of a flower.
        > Try varying pitch and roll of some sample images in PTGui and you will
        > see what I mean.

        it is really confusing like that and holding a pole horizontally to decide
        which is up
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
          On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 03:41:00 +0900, John Houghton
          <j.houghton@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
          > wrote:
          >> Question 2
          >>
          >> I have several times read that twisting the camera so that the
          >> diagonal of the sensor frame is vertical is no help if you have
          >> a lens that already fills the entire frame. I don't see that...
          >> If you put the diagonal vertical, you will reduce the size of any
          >> nadir or zenith holes and may even eliminate them.
          >
          > Roger, The problem is that you don't get nice tidy circular holes. They
          > become more like a circular saw shape or like the petals of a flower.
          > Try varying pitch and roll of some sample images in PTGui and you will
          > see what I mean.

          I know what you mean, John, and saw this for myself when I tried to
          get my 10.5mm Nikon full-frame fisheye to give me four-around by
          tilting it. The "petals" were huge and quite intractable.

          But, but, BUT! The only problem I'll have with this lens + six around
          is the need to fill the nadir and zenith. I thought that if I tilted
          the camera and lens until the 180-degree diameter stretched from top
          to bottom of the images, I might do away with the holes altogether.

          The Pentax\Tokina does have 180-degree FOV along the diagonal at
          the 10mm end, if I remember right. Well, I'll soon know... <grin>

          I saw such good things written about the 10-17mm zoom fisheye
          that I wanted to give it a go. I hesitated over the considerably more
          expensive Sigma 8-16mm rectilinear lens because I know I could get
          good use out of that for general photography, but eventually plumped
          for my FIFTH fisheye lens (after Zenit, Peleng, Nikon and Sigma).
          I can always "de-fish" the images...

          Will report back later on the results...

          Roger W.

          --
          Business: www.adex-japan.com
          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
            Am 31.07.2010 14:56, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
            > I know the Tokina version of this lens, which is available in Nikon
            > and Canon mounts, is in much wider use than the Pentax version, but
            > I am hoping that someone knows the NPP, perhaps expressed in mm from
            > the front glass? Or some other non-variable feature of the lens?

            You mean the Tokina 10-17mm f3.5 DX?
            http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database has a value...

          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
              On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 04:11:56 +0900, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

              > Am 31.07.2010 14:56, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
              >> I know the Tokina version of this lens, which is available in Nikon
              >> and Canon mounts, is in much wider use than the Pentax version, but
              >> I am hoping that someone knows the NPP, perhaps expressed in mm from
              >> the front glass? Or some other non-variable feature of the lens?
              >
              > You mean the Tokina 10-17mm f3.5 DX?
              > http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database has a value...

              Thank you very much, Erik. Exactly what I wanted to know. I must remember
              to look in the Wiki every time I have a query, it so often has the answer.
              I cannot really understand my reluctance to use a Wiki, but it is generally
              the LAST place I think of.

              Roger W.