Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: OT - help! can't connect to camera via USB

  • mick crane
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 30, 2010
      On Fri, July 30, 2010 5:13 pm, prague wrote:
      > I tried different cables and I also tried a different *camera* and the
      > result was the same. so i can rule that out.

      could be the litle connection inside the pc has become partly disconnected

      > tonight i'll try a different PC and then I can definitely take a
      > sledgehammer to my netbook (or to the current installation of windows
      > anyway)

    • Paulo Fernandes
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 30, 2010
        Try resetting the camera settings, and check if the camera communication
        protocol is in "Normal" mode and not in PTP mode.
        You could also try pluging the camera to another USB port.
        And hope it isn't a hardware problem....

        Best Regards,

        Paulo Fernandes
        Multim�dia

        Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multim�dia
        Cal�ada do Lidador, 22, 1�Andar
        4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375

        On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM, mick crane <mick.crane@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, July 30, 2010 5:13 pm, prague wrote:
        > > I tried different cables and I also tried a different *camera* and the
        > > result was the same. so i can rule that out.
        >
        > could be the litle connection inside the pc has become partly disconnected
        >

        > > tonight i'll try a different PC and then I can definitely take a
        > > sledgehammer to my netbook (or to the current installation of windows
        > > anyway)
        > >

        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,

      • Woody Howard
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31, 2010
          I'm with Trausti on this one. It sounds much more like a hardware issue than
          software. Cable or contacts are the most likely suspects, but you could also
          be the victim of a USB port failing (contacts to motherboard breaking due to
          usage). The good thing about these issues is that all can be easily checked.

          1) Try connecting a USB mouse to the computer USB port that you're
          using for the camera. If it is recognized and functions correctly then you
          know that it is not a USB port physical failure.

          2) Change out (replace) the camera connection USB cable - if you are
          then able to connect to the camera then problem solved. (As Trausti stated -
          Simply cleaning the contacts on the initial cable may resolve the issue.)
          Also try connecting your camera to any other USB port on your computer.

          3) If after steps 1& 2 you are still unable to connect - then try to
          connect your camera to any other computer using your original cable . If
          you're able to make a connection then you've narrowed the POF (point of
          failure) to a software or driver issue.

          4) Drivers can become corrupted in multiple ways. Always "eject" a USB
          device before unplugging the device. In a vast majority of the time you'll
          not have an issue if you simply unplug the device without "ejecting" but
          corruption can occur if devices are simply unplugged from the system.

          5) If steps 1-4 lead you to a driver related problem then go to the
          manufacturers website and get the latest driver and install it. IMHO, That
          will be a much quicker (and best practices) solution vs. completing a
          "Restore".

          Woody

          Clean the contacts for the USB cable where it connects to the puter.
          Equally, clean the contacts on the cable and the camera. There are some
          electronic cleaners on spray cans available that can do a good job.

          Trausti

        • prague
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
            I tried on another pc, and it worked fine. so the problem is on my netbook. if i can't roll back windows to before last week i guess i'll nuke it and install a fresh copy of windows on the hard disk.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paulo Fernandes <paulo.jf@...> wrote:

            > Try resetting the camera settings, and check if the camera communication
            > protocol is in "Normal" mode and not in PTP mode.
            > You could also try pluging the camera to another USB port.
            > And hope it isn't a hardware problem....
            >
            > Best Regards,
            >
            > Paulo Fernandes
            > Multimédia
            >

            > Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
            > Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar
            > 4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
            > Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
            >

            > On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM, mick crane <mick.crane@...> wrote:
            >

            > > On Fri, July 30, 2010 5:13 pm, prague wrote:
            > > > I tried different cables and I also tried a different *camera* and the
            > > > result was the same. so i can rule that out.
            > >
            > > could be the litle connection inside the pc has become partly disconnected
            > >

            > > > tonight i'll try a different PC and then I can definitely take a
            > > > sledgehammer to my netbook (or to the current installation of windows
            > > > anyway)
            > > >

            > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,

          • mick crane
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
              On Sun, August 1, 2010 11:00 am, prague wrote:
              > I tried on another pc, and it worked fine. so the problem is on my
              > netbook. if i can't roll back windows to before last week i guess i'll
              > nuke it and install a fresh copy of windows on the hard disk.

              I'd get one of those installs of fedora or something on a usb stick and
              see if that works first.
              http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

              mick