Re: Good bye GSV... Hello MSSS...

  • enridp
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
      > >give it up already.
      >
      > The real problem ISN'T actually the direction of the turn, although I
      > do totally agree with the concensus here that it is ass-backwards.
      >
      > No, the real problem is that movement stops dead when the cursor
      > stops moving. If I click-drag I don't want things to stop turning
      > until I either let go or bring the cursor back to the start point. It
      > is this that really lobotomises the whole experience in GSV. And THIS
      > is something that could (and damn well should) be changed.

      I like the click and drag system, I think we are too habituated to the "classical" movement, but when I show a pano to a person for the first time, with the classical method they are feeling dizzy, even more, sometimes they are so "brutish" that the pano starts to rotate at high speed without control. Dragging the pano solves that, and for panos like GSV and MS is even more natural, because they are simulating a 3D enviorement (when you are over a street you can see a circle in perspective, when you are over a building you see an oriented square, etc), and in that situation is more natural to drag, because we are over a "real" reference (is not just a pointer over an image), this is like any 3D program.

      Anyway, Google will have big troubles if Microsoft continues in this way, you can see more about "Microsoft Street View" (Bing StreetSide) here:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QFvfHXkd2o