Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Another November Pic

  • Steve Schacht
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
      On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:27 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:

      > There
      > is a close button that I can see on my browsers (PC, IE7 and Firefox)
      > does it not show up on yours? If not there may be a problem with
      > PurePro and Macs?!

      The full screen button in the upper right shows up before going full
      screen, but there is no button to return from full screen. The
      buttons in the lower left are visible in both modes, so perhaps
      moving the button down there will keep it visible?

      Also, the problem is a real issue on the Mac. The "close window"
      method I mentioned works in Safari but not Firefox. I couldn't even
      quit Firefox; I had to "force quit" it to close the pano. Yuk.
      Moving the button so that it's always visible might be the solution.

      ---
      Steve Schacht
      shot@...
    • Steve Schacht
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
        Nice, Fabio.

        After looking at your panoramas, I think I know the answer to Henry's
        disappearing button issue. On the Mac, the menu bar remains visible
        across the top of the screen, and thus it's obscuring the button!
        Fabio, your circular button in the upper right is only partially
        obscured. That's what provided the clue.

        BTW Fabio, are those buttons GIF images? They look so nice (with the
        transparency) that I might think they were PNG.

        ---
        Steve Schacht
        shot@...

        On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Fabio Bustamante wrote:

        > Robert,
        >
        > I have an athlon 64 x2 3800 and Pure Player runs pretty smoothly here.
        > In fact it seems to deliever a slightly higher fps than Quick Time in
        > full screen. I also had once the opportunity to test it against quick
        > time in a MAC computer (not very powerful, consumer level... don't
        > remember the model) and the performance was exactely the same, if not
        > better.
        >
        > It seems Henry set some parameters for the viewer that really slow
        > down
        > the rendering. One of them is fulltime antialiasing, instead of
        > aplying
        > it only when not moving. There's another parameter called
        > "optmizememory" that when set to "true" makes the rendering slower
        > too.
        >
        > If you'd like to see Pure Player running without these parameters
        > check
        > out this link:
        >
        > www.fabiobustamante.com.br/noronha
        >
        > Please tell me your impressions about the viewer if you don't mind!
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > Fabio.
        >

        > Robert C. Fisher wrote:
        >> Nice Pano John
        >> I have several issues with it though.
        >> Pureplayer Pro is really clunky and doesn't move smooth at all, very
        >> stutery (if thats a word) on my computer at fullscreen. My computer
        >> is a G5 2Gb with 128 video memory and a 24" apple cinema HD display.
        >> Also there is no close button, to get out of the pano I had to quit
        >> the browser. That's a bit of a pain!
        >>
        >> Like I said I do like the pano.
        >>
        >> On Nov 29, 2006, at 9:31 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:
        >>

        >>> This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
        >>>
        >>> http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
        >>>
        >>> Two exposures blended.
        >>>
        >>> Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
        >>> Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
        >>>
        >>> Henry Stuart
        >>>

        >> Cheers
        >> Robert C. Fisher
        >> VR Photography/Cinematography
      • Fabio Bustamante
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
          That's strange. It was working fine. Than I accessed again and couldn't
          go full screen. Now I can go full screen again...

          I'm runing Windows XP and Firefox.

          BTW, I think you set up a way way too long time for your splash
          screen... 3-5 seconds should be more than enough!

          Regads,

          Fabio.

          henrystuart70 wrote:
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Henry
          >> Now the pano comes up in the smaller window and plays very smooth,
          >> however when I hit the go fullscreen button it tries to go
          >>
          > fullscreen
          >
          >> then just displays the smaller window never makes it to fullscreen
          >>
          > mode.
          >
          >> I checked with both Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 2.0 on my Mac G5.
          >>
          >> some parameter not set properly in the javascript maybe?
          >>
          >> On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:27 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:
          >>

          > Very strange, I'm trying on a few other computers and having no
          > problem, anyone else having problems going fullscreen on this pano?
          > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
          >
          > Henry

        • henrystuart70
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
            Here's a QuickTime version of the pano, seems there were some
            problems with people not being able to see or use the Immervision
            version properly?! Some compatibility issues need to be ironed out.
            http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton2.html

            Thanks for all the comments,

            Henry

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "henrystuart70" <henry@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Henry
            > > Now the pano comes up in the smaller window and plays very
            smooth,
            > > however when I hit the go fullscreen button it tries to go
            > fullscreen
            > > then just displays the smaller window never makes it to
            fullscreen
            > mode.
            > >
            > > I checked with both Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 2.0 on my Mac G5.
            > >
            > > some parameter not set properly in the javascript maybe?
            > >
            > > On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:27 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:
            > >

            > Very strange, I'm trying on a few other computers and having no
            > problem, anyone else having problems going fullscreen on this pano?
            > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
            >
            > Henry

          • Fulvio Senore
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
              Fabio,

              I looked at your images.

              Your panos are very smooth, but that smoothness comes at a high price:
              no antialiasing.
              When panning I see a very strong "shimmering" effect, caused by
              aliasing. Since the panoramic image used for full screen is( most of
              times) smaller than the one that you could use with QT the shimmering
              effect is even more visible. I know that a lot people don't care, but it
              really disturbs me.

              Robet has turned antialiasing on to reduce that problem (I suppose), and
              the Immervision player seems to become very slow when using antialiasing.

              That is really strange: PTViewer has antialiasing turned on by default,
              and antialiasing does not slow down things very much. A large PTViewer
              of the same size is much faster than the immervision applet.

              I don't know why this happens, maybe they did not optimize that code
              very much. Since it seems possible to speed things up a lot, I think
              that they should do it quickly: image quality is much better with
              antialiasing on.

              Fulvio Senore

              Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:
              > Robert,
              >
              > I have an athlon 64 x2 3800 and Pure Player runs pretty smoothly here.
              > In fact it seems to deliever a slightly higher fps than Quick Time in
              > full screen. I also had once the opportunity to test it against quick
              > time in a MAC computer (not very powerful, consumer level... don't
              > remember the model) and the performance was exactely the same, if not
              > better.
              >
              > It seems Henry set some parameters for the viewer that really slow down
              > the rendering. One of them is fulltime antialiasing, instead of aplying
              > it only when not moving. There's another parameter called
              > "optmizememory" that when set to "true" makes the rendering slower too.
              >
              > If you'd like to see Pure Player running without these parameters check
              > out this link:
              >
              > www.fabiobustamante.com.br/noronha
              >
              > Please tell me your impressions about the viewer if you don't mind!
              >
              > Regards,
              >

              > Fabio.
              >

              > Robert C. Fisher wrote:
              >
              >> Nice Pano John
              >> I have several issues with it though.
              >> Pureplayer Pro is really clunky and doesn't move smooth at all, very
              >> stutery (if thats a word) on my computer at fullscreen. My computer
              >> is a G5 2Gb with 128 video memory and a 24" apple cinema HD display.
              >> Also there is no close button, to get out of the pano I had to quit
              >> the browser. That's a bit of a pain!
              >>
              >> Like I said I do like the pano.
              >>
              >> On Nov 29, 2006, at 9:31 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:
              >>

              >>> This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
              >>>
              >>> http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
              >>>
              >>> Two exposures blended.
              >>>
              >>> Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
              >>> Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
              >>>
              >>> Henry Stuart
              >>>

              >> Cheers
              >> Robert C. Fisher
              >> VR Photography/Cinematography

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                Remove the fullscreen = false...
                No reason for it to be there.

                Sacha Griffin
                Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                www.southern-digital.com
                www.seeit360.net
                www.ezphotosafe.com
                404-551-4275
                404-731-7798

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                  Hi Fulvio,

                  It seems the shimmering effect doesn't bother me as much as it bothers
                  you... so I chose the antialiasing to be off when moving to raise the fps.

                  I must confess that I've never seen PTViewer running in full screen. Do
                  you have any example??

                  > I think that they should do it quickly: image quality is much better with antialiasing on.

                  I really hope they do it... You should offer this optmization for them! Your programming skills would certainly be welcome there! ;)

                  Regards,

                  Fabio.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                    Hi, Steve

                    You're right - they have indeed smooth transparency, but they're not PNG.

                    When working with Pure Player you can create a button that is a xml file
                    that refers to two images - the button image itself (GIF in my case) and
                    another with the transparency map. Latter when creating the GUI you just
                    need to refer to the xml file and the player will render the button with
                    the transparency aplied. Using PNG would ceirtanly be easier but it
                    seems Pure Player can't deal with this format...

                    In my panos you'll also find my name discreetly placed on the lower left
                    corner. I could use the player's text feature but I decided to use an
                    image and have the feel of an antialiased text!

                    Best regards,

                    Fabio.

                  • John Riley
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                      If I have Safari on the Mac opening in Rosetta mode, PurePlayer
                      panoramas don't show up. The "loading applet" image appears and
                      perhaps the data is even downloaded, but it never gets past the

                      So why am I in Rosetta mode? Well, Spi-V panos won't work unless I
                      am in Rosetta Mode.

                      I hope Adobe/Macromedia gets their act together and ships a universal
                      Shockwave player soon.

                      Never sure which way to start up Safari on a given day. I always
                      have 10 tabs open and don't want to close all of them just to see a
                      pano of the "wrong" type.

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...
                      jriley@...

                      On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:31 PM, henrystuart70 wrote:

                      > This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
                      >
                      > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                      >
                      > Two exposures blended.
                      >
                      > Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
                      > Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
                      >
                      > Henry Stuart

                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                        Fabio Bustamante wrote:
                        > Hi, Steve
                        >
                        > You're right - they have indeed smooth transparency, but they're not PNG.
                        >
                        > When working with Pure Player you can create a button that is a xml file
                        > that refers to two images - the button image itself (GIF in my case) and
                        > another with the transparency map. Latter when creating the GUI you just
                        > need to refer to the xml file and the player will render the button with
                        > the transparency aplied. Using PNG would ceirtanly be easier but it
                        > seems Pure Player can't deal with this format...
                        >
                        > In my panos you'll also find my name discreetly placed on the lower left
                        > corner. I could use the player's text feature but I decided to use an
                        > image and have the feel of an antialiased text!

                        Wow, that's sure strange. In FF (1.5.0.8 XP Pro SP2) it's showing the
                        pano flipped horizontally because your name is in the bottom right
                        corner. =8^)

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • HarryofGermany
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                          Why dont you try http://hugin.sf.net ???

                          > If I have Safari on the Mac opening in Rosetta mode, PurePlayer
                          > panoramas don't show up. The "loading applet" image appears and
                          > perhaps the data is even downloaded, but it never gets past the
                          >
                          > So why am I in Rosetta mode? Well, Spi-V panos won't work unless I
                          > am in Rosetta Mode.
                          >
                          > I hope Adobe/Macromedia gets their act together and ships a universal
                          > Shockwave player soon.
                          >
                          > Never sure which way to start up Safari on a given day. I always
                          > have 10 tabs open and don't want to close all of them just to see a
                          > pano of the "wrong" type.
                          >
                          > John
                          >
                          > John Riley
                          > johnriley@...
                          > jriley@...
                          >

                          > On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:31 PM, henrystuart70 wrote:
                          >
                          > > This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
                          > >
                          > > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                          > >
                          > > Two exposures blended.
                          > >
                          > > Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
                          > > Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
                          > >
                          > > Henry Stuart

                        • John Riley
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                            I don't follow your suggestion. What does Hugin (a stitcher that I
                            already have BTW) have to do with VR players working or not in
                            Rosetta mode on and Intel Mac??

                            John

                            John Riley
                            johnriley@...
                            jriley@...

                            On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:41 PM, HarryofGermany wrote:

                            > Why dont you try http://hugin.sf.net ???
                            >
                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > If I have Safari on the Mac opening in Rosetta mode, PurePlayer
                            > > panoramas don't show up. The "loading applet" image appears and
                            > > perhaps the data is even downloaded, but it never gets past the
                            > >
                            > > So why am I in Rosetta mode? Well, Spi-V panos won't work unless I
                            > > am in Rosetta Mode.
                            > >
                            > > I hope Adobe/Macromedia gets their act together and ships a
                            > universal
                            > > Shockwave player soon.
                            > >
                            > > Never sure which way to start up Safari on a given day. I always
                            > > have 10 tabs open and don't want to close all of them just to see a
                            > > pano of the "wrong" type.
                            > >
                            > > John
                            > >
                            > > John Riley
                            > > johnriley@...
                            > > jriley@...
                            > >

                            > > On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:31 PM, henrystuart70 wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
                            > > >
                            > > > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                            > > >
                            > > > Two exposures blended.
                            > > >
                            > > > Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto
                            > 190CL,
                            > > > Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
                            > > >
                            > > > Henry Stuart

                          • Fulvio Senore
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 30, 2006
                              Hi Fabio,

                              Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:
                              > Hi Fulvio,
                              >

                              > It seems the shimmering effect doesn't bother me as much as it bothers
                              > you... so I chose the antialiasing to be off when moving to raise the fps.
                              >
                              > I must confess that I've never seen PTViewer running in full screen. Do
                              > you have any example??

                              No, I do not have one on line. I simply took a test page, changed the
                              pano image with a larger one and changed the applet size to a larger
                              value. Since I was not able to go to a real full screen I defined an
                              applet size as large as the screen, then I raised the screen resolution
                              to be able to see all those pixels in a portion of the screen.
                              >> I think that they should do it quickly: image quality is much better with antialiasing on.
                              >>

                              > I really hope they do it... You should offer this optmization for them! Your programming skills would certainly be welcome there! ;)

                              To be fair that code was already there: it has been written by Helmut
                              Dersch. It is simple bilinear interpolation on four pixels with the
                              loops manually unrolled to gain speed. I must admit that I have been
                              surprised that it could be so fast.

                              Fulvio Senore