Fireworks 360VR with massive animation

  • Scott Witte
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2010
      I recently completed a 360VR image of Milwaukee's July 3rd Lakefront
      Fireworks and I would love to hear your comments. You can see it here:
      Milwaukee Lakefront Fireworks <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/blog/?p=97>

      This project fulfills two goals of mine:

      * *Fireworks animation* -- I wanted to see what could be done with
      live bursts vs an artificial animation, which I've seen before.
      The result is not only the bursts but the water and window
      reflections as well as lighting on the people below. /Lots/ going on.
      * *Massive animation* -- This certainly was massive. The main
      animation over the lake covers one full cubeface and extends into
      the four adjacent faces. The animation over the city covers parts
      of two faces.

      So, please let me know how this works for you, problems especially.
      There /will/ be a significant performance hit in full screen but it
      shouldn't affect the animations.

      --
      Scott Witte

      <http://www.scottwitte.com>
      <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
      414.345.9660
      Member, IVRPA

    • mick crane
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 26, 2010
        On Tue, July 27, 2010 12:21 am, Scott Witte wrote:
        > I recently completed a 360VR image of Milwaukee's July 3rd Lakefront
        > Fireworks and I would love to hear your comments. You can see it here:
        > Milwaukee Lakefront Fireworks <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/blog/?p=97>

        it's a problem I don't know how to overcome the viewer experience is
        really crap with this technique. we need to get something else quick.

        mick
      • Scott Witte
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 26, 2010
          On 7/26/2010 6:54 PM, mick crane wrote:
          > it's a problem I don't know how to overcome the viewer experience is
          > really crap with this technique.
          Mick,

          Could you explain that further? What exactly is crap about the viewer
          experience here?

          --
          Scott Witte

          <http://www.scottwitte.com>

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27, 2010
            On Tue, July 27, 2010 1:39 am, Scott Witte wrote:
            > On 7/26/2010 6:54 PM, mick crane wrote:
            >
            >> it's a problem I don't know how to overcome the viewer experience is
            >> really crap with this technique.
            > Mick,
            >

            > Could you explain that further? What exactly is crap about the viewer
            > experience here?

            sorry, it's nothing about the panorama. I've tried to do animating
            hotspots (if that is what it is) and they take too long to load when
            looking lifelike. or they are looking bad as animation. I'm disappointed I
            can't find a technique/presentation that is as flexible as drawing an
            animation and looks as good as film but is in 360degrees.

            mick
          • tom_a_sparks
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2010
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mick crane" <mick.crane@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, July 27, 2010 1:39 am, Scott Witte wrote:
              > > On 7/26/2010 6:54 PM, mick crane wrote:
              > >
              > >> it's a problem I don't know how to overcome the viewer experience is
              > >> really crap with this technique.
              > > Mick,
              > >

              > > Could you explain that further? What exactly is crap about the viewer
              > > experience here?
              >
              > sorry, it's nothing about the panorama. I've tried to do animating
              > hotspots (if that is what it is) and they take too long to load when
              > looking lifelike. or they are looking bad as animation. I'm disappointed I
              > can't find a technique/presentation that is as flexible as drawing an
              > animation and looks as good as film but is in 360degrees.
              >

              > mick

              I remeber watching a video about Presto Studios used Autodesk Combustion for Myst 3:Exile
              autodesk combustion website:
              http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=5562397
              tom
            • montana_jimbo
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2010
                First....... Scott ...I really really liked what you put together twas first cabin.. Ok now In many ways I'm probably not qualified to respond to this post but maybe I can just sneak in.. Your work up is really good. I think what the commenter was trying to speak to is simply bandwidth limitations.. they just get in the damn way. I'm in a band width impaired area but have a pretty good connection ...I can stream video no issues.....but can't be fluid on say your workup.. not your fault not mine...just what we have going on.. so what could you look at to put some of the content in a buffer or?

                jimbo

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                > On 7/26/2010 6:54 PM, mick crane wrote:
                > > it's a problem I don't know how to overcome the viewer experience is
                > > really crap with this technique.
                > Mick,
                >
                > Could you explain that further? What exactly is crap about the viewer
                > experience here?
                >
                > --
                > Scott Witte
                >
                > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                > 414.345.9660
                > Member, IVRPA

              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 27, 2010
                  Hi Scott

                  just to let you know

                  here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with a 3 mbps net connection
                  on my MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz
                  on MAC OS 10.5.8 internal 4 GB RAM
                  and using an external 24" monitor

                  IT IS GREAT MEN !!!

                  It works perfect, and I can only say: CONGRATZS

                  cheers
                  AYRTON

                  On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                  > I recently completed a 360VR image of Milwaukee's July 3rd Lakefront
                  > Fireworks and I would love to hear your comments. You can see it here:
                  > Milwaukee Lakefront Fireworks <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/blog/?p=97>
                  >
                  > This project fulfills two goals of mine:
                  >
                  > * *Fireworks animation* -- I wanted to see what could be done with
                  > live bursts vs an artificial animation, which I've seen before.
                  > The result is not only the bursts but the water and window
                  > reflections as well as lighting on the people below. /Lots/ going on.
                  > * *Massive animation* -- This certainly was massive. The main
                  > animation over the lake covers one full cubeface and extends into
                  > the four adjacent faces. The animation over the city covers parts
                  > of two faces.
                  >
                  > So, please let me know how this works for you, problems especially.
                  > There /will/ be a significant performance hit in full screen but it
                  > shouldn't affect the animations.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Scott Witte
                  >
                  > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                  > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                  > 414.345.9660
                  > Member, IVRPA

                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                • onezebra1
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 27, 2010
                    Hi Scott,
                    When I viewed your fireworks pano from work on a 7 year old computer with a poor graphics card and slow connection, the animation was very slow and looked like a poor slideshow.
                    Here at home on my computer it looks fantastic! very fluid and close to video.

                    Roger Berry
                  • Scott Witte
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 28, 2010
                      Jimbo,

                      Thanks. And yes, that whole bandwidth issue was a big concern of mine.
                      Even with lots of compression and optimization the fireworks over the
                      lake in HD consumes 7MB. There are 76 frames. Plus you have the
                      fireworks over land and the sound file being downloaded at the same time.

                      For people with great connections there should be no problem. In fact I
                      just now tweaked things so it could download even faster. But for many
                      people the images won't download fast enough. So I built in a failsafe.
                      It displays images that have been downloaded then loops to the
                      beginning. All the while more frames are downloaded and will be
                      displayed on the next pass until everything is in cache and being shown.

                      Scott

                      On 7/27/2010 8:27 PM, montana_jimbo wrote:
                      > I think what the commenter was trying to speak to is simply bandwidth limitations.. they just get in the damn way. I'm in a band width impaired area but have a pretty good connection ...I can stream video no issues.....but can't be fluid on say your workup.. not your fault not mine...just what we have going on.. so what could you look at to put some of the content in a buffer or?

                      --
                      Scott Witte

                      <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                      <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                      414.345.9660
                      Member, IVRPA

                    • mrjimbo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 28, 2010
                        Scott,
                        Bandwidth issues will always be a challenge. Those in big cities or developed areas have an advantage and will until the powers to be seek revenue or tax base on bandwidth. (They will) For those that are not in developed areas bandwidth issues will always prevail so alternate solutions need to be developed or present ones exploited.

                        On the bright side their is a new image format in development now which is basically similar to camera raw or LAB and doesn't have the limitations of the typical images we use when manipulated to a degree.. Images will be sent out and pre processed on the recipients machine then final processed in the appropriate program. So yet another puzzle piece..