Seams are always a problem. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

  • needakeeper
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 26 11:11 AM
      Not sure what I am doing wrong. This happens all the time, so I know it
      is something I am doing wrong.

      Right now, I am working on 6 images shot with 10.5 mm at 90°, 1
      zenith and 1 nadir. I was using my NN 5L and the tripod was level.

      It also happens when I stitch four images shot on 8mm, tilted up about
      15°. I do not have parallax errors. I have seam issues.

      Here is my workflow:

      Load images
      If on 8mm, crop
      Change Panorama Settings
      Set File format, layers, etc
      Align Images
      Run PTO optimizer
      Preview
      Add Manual Control Points
      At this point I have tried both re-optimizing and/or aligning and then
      re-optimizing but I get no improvement either way.

      What am I doing wrong?

      Screenshots <http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualpointphotos/?saved=1>

    • needakeeper
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 29 10:48 AM
        Looks like I didn't give enough information for someone to be able to help me. I think the only things I left out were software and camera specs. Can anyone help now?

        Ptgui 8.3.6
        Mac OSX 10.6.4
        Nikon D80
        Sigma 8mm
        Nikkor 10.5

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

        > Not sure what I am doing wrong. This happens all the time, so I know it
        > is something I am doing wrong.
        >
        > Right now, I am working on 6 images shot with 10.5 mm at 90°, 1
        > zenith and 1 nadir. I was using my NN 5L and the tripod was level.
        >
        > It also happens when I stitch four images shot on 8mm, tilted up about
        > 15°. I do not have parallax errors. I have seam issues.
        >
        > Here is my workflow:
        >
        > Load images
        > If on 8mm, crop
        > Change Panorama Settings
        > Set File format, layers, etc
        > Align Images
        > Run PTO optimizer
        > Preview
        > Add Manual Control Points
        > At this point I have tried both re-optimizing and/or aligning and then
        > re-optimizing but I get no improvement either way.
        >
        > What am I doing wrong?
        >

        > Screenshots <http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualpointphotos/?saved=1>

      • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 29 10:58 AM
          Hi Needakeeper!

          I've just seen your pictures. My guess is that you have a calibration issue.
          Check your nodal point. On ocassions, my camera's plate rotates between
          shots and I have to realign it.

          Best regards

          2010/7/29 needakeeper <virtualpointphotos@...>

          > Looks like I didn't give enough information for someone to be able to help
          > me. I think the only things I left out were software and camera specs. Can
          > anyone help now?
          >
          > Ptgui 8.3.6
          > Mac OSX 10.6.4
          > Nikon D80
          > Sigma 8mm
          > Nikkor 10.5
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Not sure what I am doing wrong. This happens all the time, so I know it
          > > is something I am doing wrong.
          > >
          > > Right now, I am working on 6 images shot with 10.5 mm at 90��, 1
          > > zenith and 1 nadir. I was using my NN 5L and the tripod was level.
          > >
          > > It also happens when I stitch four images shot on 8mm, tilted up about
          > > 15��. I do not have parallax errors. I have seam issues.
          > >
          > > Here is my workflow:
          > >
          > > Load images
          > > If on 8mm, crop
          > > Change Panorama Settings
          > > Set File format, layers, etc
          > > Align Images
          > > Run PTO optimizer
          > > Preview
          > > Add Manual Control Points
          > > At this point I have tried both re-optimizing and/or aligning and then
          > > re-optimizing but I get no improvement either way.
          > >
          > > What am I doing wrong?
          > >

          > > Screenshots <http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualpointphotos/?saved=1>

          L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
          felipe@...
          1998-5246
          www.fpk.com.mx

        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 29 11:01 AM
            Hi,

            If you want to zip the images and PTGui file up and send them to me via
            www.yousendit.com, I'd be happy to take a look. Markdfink at northernlight
            dot net.

            Mark
            www.virtual-travels.tumblr.com
            www.pinnacle-vr.com
            www.northernlight.net

          • Stephani Hill
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 29 11:02 AM
              That may have been a problem at one point, but shouldn't ptgui be able to overcome that? It stitches handheld stuff, right?

              When I add control points, do I realign or do I optimize OR do I realign and then optimize. It doesn't seem to get better no matter what I try. I am sure there is a problem with my workflow. I am tired of spending outrageous amounts of time trying to overcome these misalignments. Can you tell me what my workflow should be?

            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 29 12:41 PM
                Stephani,

                sometimes it also helps to check the control points ptgui has placed by itself.

                Next thing is, how do you shoot 6 images at 90 degrees? Or did you want to say 4 images at 90° + 2 for z/n? (Which then would cause too much overlap on a FF sensor, try to stitch just the 4 around).

                Jürgen

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 29 1:02 PM
                  Am 29.07.2010 20:02, schrieb Stephani Hill:
                  > That may have been a problem at one point, but shouldn't ptgui be
                  > able to overcome that? It stitches handheld stuff, right?

                  Right, and wrong. It was always possible to stitch handheld stuff, but
                  it got much easier since multiresolution blending was implemented.
                  However, no stitcher can solve parallax problems. And if a long edge
                  crosses the overlap region there is no way but morphing or similar to
                  join it automatically if it doesn't align.

                  Offenburger Str. 33
                  79108 Freiburg
                • Stephani Hill
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 29 1:06 PM
                    On Jul 29, 2010, at 2:41 PM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

                    > Stephani,
                    >
                    > sometimes it also helps to check the control points ptgui has placed by itself.

                    I had not thought to check those. I will do that.

                    > Next thing is, how do you shoot 6 images at 90 degrees? Or did you want to say 4 images at 90� + 2 for z/n? (Which then would cause too much overlap on a FF sensor, try to stitch just the 4 around).

                    I was shooting with a 10.5, so I shot 6 around at 90� (I meant that I did not have the camera tilted up or down) and one zenith and one nadir.

                    > J�rgen
                    >
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Not sure what I am doing wrong. This happens all the time, so I know it
                    > > is something I am doing wrong.
                    > >
                    > > Right now, I am working on 6 images shot with 10.5 mm at 90��, 1
                    > > zenith and 1 nadir. I was using my NN 5L and the tripod was level.
                    > >
                    > > It also happens when I stitch four images shot on 8mm, tilted up about
                    > > 15��. I do not have parallax errors. I have seam issues.
                    > >
                    > > Here is my workflow:
                    > >
                    > > Load images
                    > > If on 8mm, crop
                    > > Change Panorama Settings
                    > > Set File format, layers, etc
                    > > Align Images
                    > > Run PTO optimizer
                    > > Preview
                    > > Add Manual Control Points
                    > > At this point I have tried both re-optimizing and/or aligning and then
                    > > re-optimizing but I get no improvement either way.
                    > >
                    > > What am I doing wrong?
                    > >

                    > > Screenshots <http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualpointphotos/?saved=1>

                  • uricogan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 29 5:24 PM
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Stephani Hill <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

                      > I was shooting with a 10.5, so I shot 6 around at 90° (I meant that I did not have the camera tilted up or down) and one zenith and one nadir.

                      6 shots at 90 degrees creates too much overlap which could cause PRGui to "leap over"and generate false control points between images 0-2, 1-3, 2-4, etc. if you find any - remove them!

                      For the 10.5mm lens it's enough to do 6 shots all around at 60 degrees, certainly not 90 degrees.

                      You could get away with just 4 shots at 90 degrees if you have a full-size (24X36mm) sensor and use a shaved 10.5mm lens.
                    • John Houghton
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 30 12:00 AM
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

                        > Add Manual Control Points
                        > At this point I have tried both re-optimizing and/or aligning and then
                        > re-optimizing but I get no improvement either way.

                        Run the Align Images option once only. Thereafter you should use the optmizer after making changes to the control point assignments. It's important to optimize the lens shift parameters: to do this, select Advanced mode via the button on the Project Assistant tab and go to the Optimizer tab. This hsa a Simple and Advanced mode. In the default Simple mode, select "Heavy + lens shift" in the "Mimimize lens distortion" options list. Also check "Optimize lens field of view".

                        After clicking "Run Optimizer", the average and maxium distance values will be reported. You should aim to get the maximum down to below 2 or 3 if possible. If you display the control points table and click on the Distance heading to sort the points in order to bring the largest values to the top, you can double click on an entry to take you to that point in the Control Points tab, where you can check the positioning of the points. Correct any inaccurate placement or delete the point if its on something likely to have moved between shots. Then try another optimize run. Repeat until a satisfactory result is obtained.

                        John
                      • paul womack
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 30 3:39 AM
                          uricogan wrote:
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Stephani Hill <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> I was shooting with a 10.5, so I shot 6 around at 90° (I meant that I did not have the camera tilted up or down) and one zenith and one nadir.
                          >
                          > 6 shots at 90 degrees creates too much overlap which could cause PRGui to "leap over"and generate false control points between images 0-2, 1-3, 2-4, etc. if you find any - remove them!

                          Why are these "false" control points?

                          I'll grant you they're probably redundant, but false seems a little strong.

                          Unless you know something I don't, which is entirely possible.

                          BugBear
                        • Jim Watters
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 30 5:20 AM
                            On 7/30/2010 4:00 AM, John Houghton wrote:
                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper"<virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:
                            >> Add Manual Control Points
                            >> At this point I have tried both re-optimizing and/or aligning and then
                            >> re-optimizing but I get no improvement either way.

                            Also make sure that none of the images imported into PTGui have been rotated.
                            If some of your images have been rotated and your camera has heavy shift values
                            then you will need optimize these images shift values separate from the rest. -
                            But the best thing is to *never* rotate images before importing.

                            --
                            Jim Watters
                            http://photocreations.ca
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 30 7:32 AM
                              My zenith and nadir shots (when I shot with the 10.5) were in landscape orientation, so I did rotate them to portrait. I tried inputting in their native form, but Ptgui wanted them all the same (don't quite remember what the wording was.)

                              I shouldn't rotate them?

                              > But the best thing is to *never* rotate images before importing.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Jim Watters
                              > http://photocreations.ca

                            • John Houghton
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 30 7:38 AM
                                > But the best thing is to *never* rotate images before importing.

                                Jim, Good advice, though I myself shoot RAW and *always* rotate them to bring them into the upright position (-90). I make sure that all the images are rotated thus by checking the orientation values in the metadata available in ACR, but it's a good idea to turn off the auto rotation feature in the camera to avoid possibly inconsistent rotation data for the zenith and nadir shots.

                                John
                              • Eric O'Brien
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 31 5:07 PM
                                  Six shots "around the horizon" using a 10.5 mm full frame fisheye in
                                  portrait orientation is fine (that's what I do).

                                  I prefer to say "around the horizon" or something similar so as to
                                  avoid confusion with angles that might mean up or down pitch angles,
                                  or [horizontal] shooting interval angles -- "4 shots 90 degrees
                                  apart"; "6 shots 60 degrees apart," etc. I might even go as far as
                                  saying "6 shots around, 60 degrees apart."

                                  eo

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 31 5:36 PM
                                    Dadgum, you are right. That would have made a lot more sense. I will use "around the horizon" next time.

                                    Thanks-

                                  • John Houghton
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

                                      > I shouldn't rotate them?

                                      You can rotate them before input to PTGui as much as you like, but make sure that they end up being all rotated through the same angle (and in the same direction) with respect to the camera's raw landscape orientation. e.g. all rotated by -90 or all rotated by +90, with due allowance being made for the tendency of the camera's orientation sensor data to be unreliable for the zenith and nadir shots.

                                      The simplest way to avoid all these troubles is to turn off the auto rotate feature in the camera. Then, either submit all the images to PTGui in their natural landscape orientation, or rotate them all by -90 degrees into portrait orientation if you prefer then the right way up.

                                      John
                                    • Mark D. Fink
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
                                        Just my own $.02, but I ALWAYS shoot 10 degrees up with a fisheye lens. That
                                        ensures I get overlap on the zenith, and there will always be hole that
                                        needs patching in the nadir. Especially with fisheye lenses, I find that the
                                        overlap gives me clean zeniths without light falloff that can happen so
                                        easily.

                                        Just to keep things easier, I have a PTGui template that I use as my
                                        starting point, then create control points from there. 15 minutes at most
                                        from start to finish of stitching with 5000x10000 pixel images.