Another November Pic

  • henrystuart70
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
      This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.

      http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm

      Two exposures blended.

      Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
      Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.

      Henry Stuart
    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
        Nice Pano John
        I have several issues with it though.
        Pureplayer Pro is really clunky and doesn't move smooth at all, very
        stutery (if thats a word) on my computer at fullscreen. My computer
        is a G5 2Gb with 128 video memory and a 24" apple cinema HD display.
        Also there is no close button, to get out of the pano I had to quit
        the browser. That's a bit of a pain!

        Like I said I do like the pano.

        On Nov 29, 2006, at 9:31 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:

        > This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
        >
        > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
        >
        > Two exposures blended.
        >
        > Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
        > Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
        >
        > Henry Stuart

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography/Cinematography
      • Fabio Bustamante
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
          Robert,

          I have an athlon 64 x2 3800 and Pure Player runs pretty smoothly here.
          In fact it seems to deliever a slightly higher fps than Quick Time in
          full screen. I also had once the opportunity to test it against quick
          time in a MAC computer (not very powerful, consumer level... don't
          remember the model) and the performance was exactely the same, if not
          better.

          It seems Henry set some parameters for the viewer that really slow down
          the rendering. One of them is fulltime antialiasing, instead of aplying
          it only when not moving. There's another parameter called
          "optmizememory" that when set to "true" makes the rendering slower too.

          If you'd like to see Pure Player running without these parameters check
          out this link:

          www.fabiobustamante.com.br/noronha

          Please tell me your impressions about the viewer if you don't mind!

          Regards,

          Fabio.

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
            OK, the image does not start in fullscreen now, is it smoother? There
            is a close button that I can see on my browsers (PC, IE7 and Firefox)
            does it not show up on yours? If not there may be a problem with
            PurePro and Macs?!

            Henry

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...>
            wrote:

            > Nice Pano John
            > I have several issues with it though.
            > Pureplayer Pro is really clunky and doesn't move smooth at all,
            very
            > stutery (if thats a word) on my computer at fullscreen. My
            computer
            > is a G5 2Gb with 128 video memory and a 24" apple cinema HD display.
            > Also there is no close button, to get out of the pano I had to
            quit
            > the browser. That's a bit of a pain!
            >
            > Like I said I do like the pano.
            >
            > On Nov 29, 2006, at 9:31 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:
            >
            > > This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
            > >
            > > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
            > >
            > > Two exposures blended.
            > >
            > > Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto
            190CL,
            > > Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
            > >
            > > Henry Stuart
            > >

            > Cheers
            > Robert C. Fisher
            > VR Photography/Cinematography

          • Steve Schacht
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
              On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:07 AM, Robert C. Fisher wrote:

              > Pureplayer Pro is really clunky and doesn't move smooth at all, very
              > stutery (if thats a word) on my computer at fullscreen.

              Yes, at full screen, PURE Player is not as smooth as some other
              viewers. (IMO, though, it has many advantages which outweigh the
              full screen performance issue.)

              > Also there is no close button, to get out of the pano I had to quit
              > the browser.

              Yes, a button to go to non-full screen (or to close the window) is
              needed. However, you don't have to quit the browser. Although it's
              not obvious, if you just bring the applet's browser window to the
              front and close that window, the applet quits and the full screen
              window closes.

              (And I agree, nice pano!)

              Regards,

              ---
              Steve Schacht
              shot@...
            • Steve Schacht
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:27 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:

                > There
                > is a close button that I can see on my browsers (PC, IE7 and Firefox)
                > does it not show up on yours? If not there may be a problem with
                > PurePro and Macs?!

                The full screen button in the upper right shows up before going full
                screen, but there is no button to return from full screen. The
                buttons in the lower left are visible in both modes, so perhaps
                moving the button down there will keep it visible?

                Also, the problem is a real issue on the Mac. The "close window"
                method I mentioned works in Safari but not Firefox. I couldn't even
                quit Firefox; I had to "force quit" it to close the pano. Yuk.
                Moving the button so that it's always visible might be the solution.

                ---
                Steve Schacht
                shot@...
              • Robert C. Fisher
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                  Hi Henry
                  Now the pano comes up in the smaller window and plays very smooth,
                  however when I hit the go fullscreen button it tries to go fullscreen
                  then just displays the smaller window never makes it to fullscreen mode.

                  I checked with both Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 2.0 on my Mac G5.

                  some parameter not set properly in the javascript maybe?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                    Nice, Fabio.

                    After looking at your panoramas, I think I know the answer to Henry's
                    disappearing button issue. On the Mac, the menu bar remains visible
                    across the top of the screen, and thus it's obscuring the button!
                    Fabio, your circular button in the upper right is only partially
                    obscured. That's what provided the clue.

                    BTW Fabio, are those buttons GIF images? They look so nice (with the
                    transparency) that I might think they were PNG.

                    ---
                    Steve Schacht
                    shot@...

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > Hi Henry
                      > Now the pano comes up in the smaller window and plays very smooth,
                      > however when I hit the go fullscreen button it tries to go
                      fullscreen
                      > then just displays the smaller window never makes it to fullscreen
                      mode.

                      > I checked with both Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 2.0 on my Mac G5.
                      >
                      > some parameter not set properly in the javascript maybe?
                      >
                      > On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:27 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:

                      Very strange, I'm trying on a few other computers and having no
                      problem, anyone else having problems going fullscreen on this pano?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                        That's strange. It was working fine. Than I accessed again and couldn't
                        go full screen. Now I can go full screen again...

                        I'm runing Windows XP and Firefox.

                        BTW, I think you set up a way way too long time for your splash
                        screen... 3-5 seconds should be more than enough!

                        Regads,

                        Fabio.

                        henrystuart70 wrote:
                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hi Henry
                        >> Now the pano comes up in the smaller window and plays very smooth,
                        >> however when I hit the go fullscreen button it tries to go
                        >>
                        > fullscreen
                        >
                        >> then just displays the smaller window never makes it to fullscreen
                        >>
                        > mode.
                        >
                        >> I checked with both Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 2.0 on my Mac G5.
                        >>
                        >> some parameter not set properly in the javascript maybe?
                        >>
                        >> On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:27 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:
                        >>

                        > Very strange, I'm trying on a few other computers and having no
                        > problem, anyone else having problems going fullscreen on this pano?
                        > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                        >
                        > Henry

                      • henrystuart70
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                          Here's a QuickTime version of the pano, seems there were some
                          problems with people not being able to see or use the Immervision
                          version properly?! Some compatibility issues need to be ironed out.
                          http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton2.html

                          Thanks for all the comments,

                          Henry

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "henrystuart70" <henry@...> wrote:

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Henry
                          > > Now the pano comes up in the smaller window and plays very
                          smooth,
                          > > however when I hit the go fullscreen button it tries to go
                          > fullscreen
                          > > then just displays the smaller window never makes it to
                          fullscreen
                          > mode.
                          > >
                          > > I checked with both Safari 2.0.4 and Firefox 2.0 on my Mac G5.
                          > >
                          > > some parameter not set properly in the javascript maybe?
                          > >
                          > > On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:27 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:
                          > >

                          > Very strange, I'm trying on a few other computers and having no
                          > problem, anyone else having problems going fullscreen on this pano?
                          > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                          >
                          > Henry

                        • Fulvio Senore
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                            Fabio,

                            I looked at your images.

                            Your panos are very smooth, but that smoothness comes at a high price:
                            no antialiasing.
                            When panning I see a very strong "shimmering" effect, caused by
                            aliasing. Since the panoramic image used for full screen is( most of
                            times) smaller than the one that you could use with QT the shimmering
                            effect is even more visible. I know that a lot people don't care, but it
                            really disturbs me.

                            Robet has turned antialiasing on to reduce that problem (I suppose), and
                            the Immervision player seems to become very slow when using antialiasing.

                            That is really strange: PTViewer has antialiasing turned on by default,
                            and antialiasing does not slow down things very much. A large PTViewer
                            of the same size is much faster than the immervision applet.

                            I don't know why this happens, maybe they did not optimize that code
                            very much. Since it seems possible to speed things up a lot, I think
                            that they should do it quickly: image quality is much better with
                            antialiasing on.

                            Fulvio Senore

                            Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:
                            > Robert,
                            >
                            > I have an athlon 64 x2 3800 and Pure Player runs pretty smoothly here.
                            > In fact it seems to deliever a slightly higher fps than Quick Time in
                            > full screen. I also had once the opportunity to test it against quick
                            > time in a MAC computer (not very powerful, consumer level... don't
                            > remember the model) and the performance was exactely the same, if not
                            > better.
                            >
                            > It seems Henry set some parameters for the viewer that really slow down
                            > the rendering. One of them is fulltime antialiasing, instead of aplying
                            > it only when not moving. There's another parameter called
                            > "optmizememory" that when set to "true" makes the rendering slower too.
                            >
                            > If you'd like to see Pure Player running without these parameters check
                            > out this link:
                            >
                            > www.fabiobustamante.com.br/noronha
                            >
                            > Please tell me your impressions about the viewer if you don't mind!
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >

                            > Fabio.
                            >

                            > Robert C. Fisher wrote:
                            >
                            >> Nice Pano John
                            >> I have several issues with it though.
                            >> Pureplayer Pro is really clunky and doesn't move smooth at all, very
                            >> stutery (if thats a word) on my computer at fullscreen. My computer
                            >> is a G5 2Gb with 128 video memory and a 24" apple cinema HD display.
                            >> Also there is no close button, to get out of the pano I had to quit
                            >> the browser. That's a bit of a pain!
                            >>
                            >> Like I said I do like the pano.
                            >>
                            >> On Nov 29, 2006, at 9:31 AM, henrystuart70 wrote:
                            >>

                            >>> This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
                            >>>
                            >>> http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                            >>>
                            >>> Two exposures blended.
                            >>>
                            >>> Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
                            >>> Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
                            >>>
                            >>> Henry Stuart
                            >>>

                            >> Cheers
                            >> Robert C. Fisher
                            >> VR Photography/Cinematography

                          • Sacha Griffin
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                              Remove the fullscreen = false...
                              No reason for it to be there.

                              Sacha Griffin
                              Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                              www.southern-digital.com
                              www.seeit360.net
                              www.ezphotosafe.com
                              404-551-4275
                              404-731-7798

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                                Hi Fulvio,

                                It seems the shimmering effect doesn't bother me as much as it bothers
                                you... so I chose the antialiasing to be off when moving to raise the fps.

                                I must confess that I've never seen PTViewer running in full screen. Do
                                you have any example??

                                > I think that they should do it quickly: image quality is much better with antialiasing on.

                                I really hope they do it... You should offer this optmization for them! Your programming skills would certainly be welcome there! ;)

                                Regards,

                                Fabio.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                                  Hi, Steve

                                  You're right - they have indeed smooth transparency, but they're not PNG.

                                  When working with Pure Player you can create a button that is a xml file
                                  that refers to two images - the button image itself (GIF in my case) and
                                  another with the transparency map. Latter when creating the GUI you just
                                  need to refer to the xml file and the player will render the button with
                                  the transparency aplied. Using PNG would ceirtanly be easier but it
                                  seems Pure Player can't deal with this format...

                                  In my panos you'll also find my name discreetly placed on the lower left
                                  corner. I could use the player's text feature but I decided to use an
                                  image and have the feel of an antialiased text!

                                  Best regards,

                                  Fabio.

                                • John Riley
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                                    If I have Safari on the Mac opening in Rosetta mode, PurePlayer
                                    panoramas don't show up. The "loading applet" image appears and
                                    perhaps the data is even downloaded, but it never gets past the

                                    So why am I in Rosetta mode? Well, Spi-V panos won't work unless I
                                    am in Rosetta Mode.

                                    I hope Adobe/Macromedia gets their act together and ships a universal
                                    Shockwave player soon.

                                    Never sure which way to start up Safari on a given day. I always
                                    have 10 tabs open and don't want to close all of them just to see a
                                    pano of the "wrong" type.

                                    John

                                    John Riley
                                    johnriley@...
                                    jriley@...

                                    On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:31 PM, henrystuart70 wrote:

                                    > This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                                    >
                                    > Two exposures blended.
                                    >
                                    > Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
                                    > Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
                                    >
                                    > Henry Stuart

                                  • Pat Swovelin
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                                      Fabio Bustamante wrote:
                                      > Hi, Steve
                                      >
                                      > You're right - they have indeed smooth transparency, but they're not PNG.
                                      >
                                      > When working with Pure Player you can create a button that is a xml file
                                      > that refers to two images - the button image itself (GIF in my case) and
                                      > another with the transparency map. Latter when creating the GUI you just
                                      > need to refer to the xml file and the player will render the button with
                                      > the transparency aplied. Using PNG would ceirtanly be easier but it
                                      > seems Pure Player can't deal with this format...
                                      >
                                      > In my panos you'll also find my name discreetly placed on the lower left
                                      > corner. I could use the player's text feature but I decided to use an
                                      > image and have the feel of an antialiased text!

                                      Wow, that's sure strange. In FF (1.5.0.8 XP Pro SP2) it's showing the
                                      pano flipped horizontally because your name is in the bottom right
                                      corner. =8^)

                                      Pat Swovelin
                                      Cool Guy @ Large
                                    • HarryofGermany
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                                        Why dont you try http://hugin.sf.net ???

                                        > If I have Safari on the Mac opening in Rosetta mode, PurePlayer
                                        > panoramas don't show up. The "loading applet" image appears and
                                        > perhaps the data is even downloaded, but it never gets past the
                                        >
                                        > So why am I in Rosetta mode? Well, Spi-V panos won't work unless I
                                        > am in Rosetta Mode.
                                        >
                                        > I hope Adobe/Macromedia gets their act together and ships a universal
                                        > Shockwave player soon.
                                        >
                                        > Never sure which way to start up Safari on a given day. I always
                                        > have 10 tabs open and don't want to close all of them just to see a
                                        > pano of the "wrong" type.
                                        >
                                        > John
                                        >
                                        > John Riley
                                        > johnriley@...
                                        > jriley@...
                                        >

                                        > On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:31 PM, henrystuart70 wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
                                        > >
                                        > > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                                        > >
                                        > > Two exposures blended.
                                        > >
                                        > > Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto 190CL,
                                        > > Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
                                        > >
                                        > > Henry Stuart

                                      • John Riley
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                                          I don't follow your suggestion. What does Hugin (a stitcher that I
                                          already have BTW) have to do with VR players working or not in
                                          Rosetta mode on and Intel Mac??

                                          John

                                          John Riley
                                          johnriley@...
                                          jriley@...

                                          On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:41 PM, HarryofGermany wrote:

                                          > Why dont you try http://hugin.sf.net ???
                                          >
                                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > If I have Safari on the Mac opening in Rosetta mode, PurePlayer
                                          > > panoramas don't show up. The "loading applet" image appears and
                                          > > perhaps the data is even downloaded, but it never gets past the
                                          > >
                                          > > So why am I in Rosetta mode? Well, Spi-V panos won't work unless I
                                          > > am in Rosetta Mode.
                                          > >
                                          > > I hope Adobe/Macromedia gets their act together and ships a
                                          > universal
                                          > > Shockwave player soon.
                                          > >
                                          > > Never sure which way to start up Safari on a given day. I always
                                          > > have 10 tabs open and don't want to close all of them just to see a
                                          > > pano of the "wrong" type.
                                          > >
                                          > > John
                                          > >
                                          > > John Riley
                                          > > johnriley@...
                                          > > jriley@...
                                          > >

                                          > > On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:31 PM, henrystuart70 wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > This is taken from Clifton suspension bridge in Bristol, UK.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > http://www.sphericalimages.com/bristol/clifton.htm
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Two exposures blended.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Kit: Nikon D70s, 10.5mm Nikkor, 360 Precision Head, Manfrotto
                                          > 190CL,
                                          > > > Raw Images, PTGui, Photoshop, Pano2QTVR and PureplayerPro.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Henry Stuart

                                        • Fulvio Senore
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 30, 2006
                                            Hi Fabio,

                                            Fabio Bustamante ha scritto:
                                            > Hi Fulvio,
                                            >

                                            > It seems the shimmering effect doesn't bother me as much as it bothers
                                            > you... so I chose the antialiasing to be off when moving to raise the fps.
                                            >
                                            > I must confess that I've never seen PTViewer running in full screen. Do
                                            > you have any example??

                                            No, I do not have one on line. I simply took a test page, changed the
                                            pano image with a larger one and changed the applet size to a larger
                                            value. Since I was not able to go to a real full screen I defined an
                                            applet size as large as the screen, then I raised the screen resolution
                                            to be able to see all those pixels in a portion of the screen.
                                            >> I think that they should do it quickly: image quality is much better with antialiasing on.
                                            >>

                                            > I really hope they do it... You should offer this optmization for them! Your programming skills would certainly be welcome there! ;)

                                            To be fair that code was already there: it has been written by Helmut
                                            Dersch. It is simple bilinear interpolation on four pixels with the
                                            loops manually unrolled to gain speed. I must admit that I have been
                                            surprised that it could be so fast.

                                            Fulvio Senore