Hugin & 8mm Fisheye & 4 Shot Pitch Variation Method: HELP!

  • Darren
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 22, 2010
      New guy here...

      My previous equirectangular panorama creation attempts used a Nikon CP4300 and FC-E8 180° fisheye with 2 shots. As of this week, I have 'graduated' to a Canon T1i and Samyang 8mm fisheye, which I hope will provide the extra resolution that I crave. As a Linux/open-source guy, my pano-creator program of choice is Hugin, of course :)

      OK, using 4 *level* shots with the Samyang, and letting Hugin auto-control-point, I managed to generate a boring but proper pano -- but with no nadir/zenith as expected. Can anyone point to a tutorial somewhere that will provide (much) more detail on the '4 shot pitch variation' method described on these pages -- in the context of Hugin?

      http://wiki.panotools.org/Philopod_pitch_variation
      http://www.panotool.com/pages/8mmFisheye.html

      Will I need to give up the auto-control-point creation to use this technique?

      Thanks!
    • alan_r_cam
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 15, 2010
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "_kfj" <_kfj@...> wrote:

        >There seems to be a bug in the processing of stereographic input images.

        I've been trying to get my head around the SIFT algorithm for a while now. From that study I say:
        1. For a "standard" panorama, we usually want minimal difference between adjacent pictures. A small distance between related target points makes a better pano.
        2. Reproducing 3D objects (stereographic or other), means changing the topic to "3D Reconstruction". A LARGER distance between related target points makes a better 3D object.

        Your current software may be compared to hammering nails with a frozen fish - technically possible, but there are better tools for the job.