Hangs when creating control points

  • Maxxer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2010
      Hi.

      I'm trying to stitch ~350 pictures, but my frames appears to be missing a piece, so as a result I get two photo groups.

      When I manually connect the pictures and press "Align" again, it works for some minutes but then Hugin appears to hang.

      I even tried removing all the pictures of the second group, and hugin works for ~40m and after that hangs.
      In "top" I still see it eating cpu, but I tried letting it work but the window stays stuck for at least the same amount of time.

      I'm using 2010.0.0.5149 compiled from SVN on Ubuntu.

      thanks
      maxxer
    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2010
        On Mon 19-Jul-2010 at 18:30 -0000, Maxxer wrote:

        > I'm trying to stitch ~350 pictures, but my frames appears to be
        > missing a piece, so as a result I get two photo groups.
        >
        > When I manually connect the pictures and press "Align" again, it
        > works for some minutes but then Hugin appears to hang.

        I suspect that there are misplaced control points in the system
        such that the layout can't be resolved.

        Can you send me the .pto project that fails? (i.e. after you add the
        manual control points, but before you click Align), no need to send
        the photos.

        The 'Align' button on the Assistant tab makes lots of assumptions, I
        suggest that for complex projects like this you instead use the
        Optimiser tab where you have more control. Try just optimising
        'positions', use the result to look for obviously 'bad' control
        points and delete them before proceeding.

        --
        Bruno
      • Maxxer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2010
          > I suspect that there are misplaced control points in the system
          > such that the layout can't be resolved.
          >
          > Can you send me the .pto project that fails? (i.e. after you add the
          > manual control points, but before you click Align), no need to send
          > the photos.

          your first guess could be right. Since I don't want to ignore those pics, I created three control points between the two groups, which are probably not connected at all...

          Here you can find the project AFTER I created the fake points
          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/706934/culmine.tar.bz2

          > The 'Align' button on the Assistant tab makes lots of assumptions, I
          > suggest that for complex projects like this you instead use the
          > Optimiser tab where you have more control. Try just optimising
          > 'positions', use the result to look for obviously 'bad' control
          > points and delete them before proceeding.

          Could you please explain a bit more?
          You mean I should do the first "align", add the fake points and then use the optimize?

          thanks
          maxxer
        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2010
            On Tue 20-Jul-2010 at 19:30 -0000, Maxxer wrote:

            >> The 'Align' button on the Assistant tab makes lots of
            >> assumptions, I suggest that for complex projects like this you
            >> instead use the Optimiser tab where you have more control. Try
            >> just optimising 'positions', use the result to look for obviously
            >> 'bad' control points and delete them before proceeding.
            >
            >Could you please explain a bit more?
            >You mean I should do the first "align", add the fake points and
            >then use the optimize?

            The Assistant tab automates functionality that can be found
            elsewhere in Hugin, approximately it follows the order of tabs from
            left to right.

            For big projects like this, rather than using the Assistant it would
            be a good idea to follow the steps manually: loading images,
            creating control points, optimising positions, and (optionally)
            exposure correction.

            If optimisation is a problem, fewer parameters will converge
            quicker, so just optimise positions and you can get an overview of
            the state of the project before trying to optimise more parameters.

            --
            Bruno
          • Eric O'Brien
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2010
              On Jul 20, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Maxxer wrote:

              > > I suspect that there are misplaced control points in the system
              > > such that the layout can't be resolved.
              > >
              > > Can you send me the .pto project that fails? (i.e. after you add the
              > > manual control points, but before you click Align), no need to send
              > > the photos.
              >
              > your first guess could be right. Since I don't want to ignore those
              > pics, I created three control points between the two groups, which
              > are probably not connected at all...

              If you are trying to make sure these images are included in the final
              panorama, adding random control points between them will not
              accomplish that. Or at least it won't do so in a predictable manner.

              Hugin understands nothing about your images, really, and will blindly
              try to get the best fit taking into account *all* the control points.
              If you add control points to places that don't match, Hugin will just
              "take your word for it" and do its best to try to *get* them to
              match., ;)

              If these few "odd" images have no visible features that you can match
              to adjacent images (like you might encounter for a zenith shot of a
              cloudless blue sky), you can still position them manually, either in
              the Preview window, or by typing numbers in the Images tab.

              eo

              > Here you can find the project AFTER I created the fake points
              > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/706934/culmine.tar.bz2
              >
              > > The 'Align' button on the Assistant tab makes lots of assumptions, I
              > > suggest that for complex projects like this you instead use the
              > > Optimiser tab where you have more control. Try just optimising
              > > 'positions', use the result to look for obviously 'bad' control
              > > points and delete them before proceeding.
              >
              > Could you please explain a bit more?
              > You mean I should do the first "align", add the fake points and then
              > use the optimize?
              >
              > thanks
              > maxxer

            • David Dantowitz
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 23, 2010
                Just released The Apache-Apple Event Bridge

                http://aaeb.net/

                Enables you to easily run AppleScripts via Apache. You can view the video demo for a quick overview.

                David
              • Maxxer
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 26 11:36 PM
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Maxxer" <maxxer@...> wrote:
                  > I'm trying to stitch ~350 pictures, but my frames appears to be missing a piece, so as a result I get two photo groups.

                  I'm still here with this pano.
                  I managed to create the control points thanks to the suggestions received here, but sadly the process fails at picture 79 because it runs out of memory.
                  On this dual core I have 2G of ram and 6G of swap.
                  Will increasing the swap make the process go to the end?
                  I don't care if it will take (much) more time, I have a spare "build" machine I can use.

                  Thanks
                  maxxer
                • Maxxer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 28, 2010
                    After long time I managed to get my "hands" on a PC I could use for this pano.
                    7.4G of ram, 400G disk space...
                    Trying to stitch my 360 images, around image 160 enblend stops saying "Out of memory" (??), while for the whole process it never used more than 1.7G.

                    Precise error: std::bad_alloc
                    (screenshot http://imagebin.ca/view/P1jV2c.html)

                    this was enblend+hugin from ubuntu ppa, on latest maverick.