Re: [PanoToolsNG] flash on ipad

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
      I would rather say that the iPad is a useless device because it "can not"
      use Flash, while technically - it can... as long as Jobs doesn't get in the
      way.

      Buying iPad, is like buying a DSLR camera that can only take jpg images...
      because the CEO of the camera company doesn't like the fact that RAW images
      drain the batteries too fast... and as an added bonus, the live view is also
      disabled, because ... yups, it uses too much battery power as well.

      Unless it was Apple making such cameras, I don't really think any pro
      photographer would buy one.

      :)

      Trausti

      On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net <
      360cities@...> wrote:

      > here trausti,
      >
      > you can play with flash on the ipad and see how useless it really is on
      > such
      > a device ;-)
      >

      > http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/07/how-to-install-flash-on-your-jailbroken-ipad-for-real/

    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
        I don't know a single function my iPad can't perform because it lacks Flash. Can I watch videos ? YES, can I view VRs ? YES. If you're too lazy to convert or create content for the iPad that's your problem, not mine and certainly not Apples.

        The only website I've visited on the ipad that I've not been able to view is Nike.com and I simply went to Adidas and bought my shoes there. No biggy really. Also means I'm switching from Nike+ to Suunto Movescount. So by using Flash, Nike has lost a customer and I know I'm not the only one.

        Matt

        On 8 Jul 2010, at 11:15, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

        > I would rather say that the iPad is a useless device because it "can not"
        > use Flash, while technically - it can... as long as Jobs doesn't get in the
        > way.
        >
        > Buying iPad, is like buying a DSLR camera that can only take jpg images...
        > because the CEO of the camera company doesn't like the fact that RAW images
        > drain the batteries too fast... and as an added bonus, the live view is also
        > disabled, because ... yups, it uses too much battery power as well.
        >
        > Unless it was Apple making such cameras, I don't really think any pro
        > photographer would buy one.
        >
        > :)
        >
        > Trausti
        >

        > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net <
        > 360cities@...> wrote:
        >

        >> here trausti,
        >>
        >> you can play with flash on the ipad and see how useless it really is on
        >> such
        >> a device ;-)
        >>

        >> http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/07/how-to-install-flash-on-your-jailbroken-ipad-for-real/

      • Tom Sparks
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
          > use Flash, while technically - it can... as long as Jobs
          > doesn't get in the
          > way.
          >
          > Buying iPad, is like buying a DSLR camera that can only
          > take jpg images...
          > because the CEO of the camera company doesn't like the fact
          > that RAW images
          > drain the batteries too fast... and as an added bonus, the
          > live view is also
          > disabled, because ... yups, it uses too much battery power
          > as well.
          >
          > Unless it was Apple making such cameras, I don't really
          > think any pro
          > photographer would buy one.
          >
          > :)
          its only a matter of time before somebody breaks the system (be it a iDevice), my feeling is that some of these CEO/marketing don't get what the user wants.
          for example the iPad should be looked at like a computer not a device like an oven

          tom
        • Trausti Hraunfjord
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
            Matthew. You can not watch MILLIONS of websites that use Flash only, and
            which do not provide support for the iSnob devices. So don't try to brush
            this off as if it's only a minor issue bound to a couple or so sites.

            I could direct you to thousands of sites if I had the time to waste on such
            things. It is your choice to have a device that is handicapped by the
            DECISION of one man, and that was not your decision. There is no doubt at
            all, that if your Steve hadn't woke up in an anti-flash mood one morning,
            you would be overly happy to have flash support on your iPad. But since you
            are a loyal Apple user, you follow their line without flinching, pretending
            that all is good.

            You would probably be the proud first owner of a Apple made DSLR camera that
            can't shoot in RAW because of battery consumption issues.... and your
            argument would be: There is nothing you can take a picture of, that I can't
            too!

            :)

            What the heck... one day Apple will have to wake up to reality and stop
            putting up road blocks. In a way it is GOOD that they excluded Flash... it
            is bound to result in a very much needed focus on streamlining the Flash
            code and make it better for both computers and telephones. I should
            actually thank Steve for that... when the improvements have happened.

            Trausti

            On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:

            > I don't know a single function my iPad can't perform because it lacks
            > Flash. Can I watch videos ? YES, can I view VRs ? YES. If you're too lazy to
            > convert or create content for the iPad that's your problem, not mine and
            > certainly not Apples.
            >
            > The only website I've visited on the ipad that I've not been able to view
            > is Nike.com and I simply went to Adidas and bought my shoes there. No biggy
            > really. Also means I'm switching from Nike+ to Suunto Movescount. So by
            > using Flash, Nike has lost a customer and I know I'm not the only one.
            >
            > Matt
            >

            > On 8 Jul 2010, at 11:15, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
            >
            > > I would rather say that the iPad is a useless device because it "can not"
            > > use Flash, while technically - it can... as long as Jobs doesn't get in
            > the
            > > way.
            > >
            > > Buying iPad, is like buying a DSLR camera that can only take jpg
            > images...
            > > because the CEO of the camera company doesn't like the fact that RAW
            > images
            > > drain the batteries too fast... and as an added bonus, the live view is
            > also
            > > disabled, because ... yups, it uses too much battery power as well.
            > >
            > > Unless it was Apple making such cameras, I don't really think any pro
            > > photographer would buy one.
            > >
            > > :)
            > >
            > > Trausti
            > >

            > > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net <
            > > 360cities@... <360cities%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            > >

            > >> here trausti,
            > >>
            > >> you can play with flash on the ipad and see how useless it really is on
            > >> such
            > >> a device ;-)
            > >>

            > http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/07/how-to-install-flash-on-your-jailbroken-ipad-for-real/

            > > --

          • Matthew Rogers
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
              On 8 Jul 2010, at 12:03, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

              > Matthew. You can not watch MILLIONS of websites that use Flash only, and
              > which do not provide support for the iSnob devices. So don't try to brush
              > this off as if it's only a minor issue bound to a couple or so sites.

              That's not what I'm saying. In the time I've had my iPad I've not been restricted from viewing any content that I'd normally view. Even on my MacPro I very rarely come across sites that are purely flash based or don't offer other better options.

              Strange that I rarely come across any of these Flash only sites. The Flash only sites that I do visit very rarely do anything that you can't do just as easily without Flash.

              > I could direct you to thousands of sites if I had the time to waste on such
              > things. It is your choice to have a device that is handicapped by the
              > DECISION of one man, and that was not your decision. There is no doubt at
              > all, that if your Steve hadn't woke up in an anti-flash mood one morning,
              > you would be overly happy to have flash support on your iPad. But since you
              > are a loyal Apple user, you follow their line without flinching, pretending
              > that all is good.
              >

              > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:
              >

              >> I don't know a single function my iPad can't perform because it lacks
              >> Flash. Can I watch videos ? YES, can I view VRs ? YES. If you're too lazy to
              >> convert or create content for the iPad that's your problem, not mine and
              >> certainly not Apples.
              >>
              >> The only website I've visited on the ipad that I've not been able to view
              >> is Nike.com and I simply went to Adidas and bought my shoes there. No biggy
              >> really. Also means I'm switching from Nike+ to Suunto Movescount. So by
              >> using Flash, Nike has lost a customer and I know I'm not the only one.
              >>
              >> Matt
              >>

              >> On 8 Jul 2010, at 11:15, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
              >>
              >>> I would rather say that the iPad is a useless device because it "can not"
              >>> use Flash, while technically - it can... as long as Jobs doesn't get in
              >> the
              >>> way.
              >>>
              >>> Buying iPad, is like buying a DSLR camera that can only take jpg
              >> images...
              >>> because the CEO of the camera company doesn't like the fact that RAW
              >> images
              >>> drain the batteries too fast... and as an added bonus, the live view is
              >> also
              >>> disabled, because ... yups, it uses too much battery power as well.
              >>>
              >>> Unless it was Apple making such cameras, I don't really think any pro
              >>> photographer would buy one.
              >>>
              >>> :)
              >>>
              >>> Trausti

              >> http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/07/how-to-install-flash-on-your-jailbroken-ipad-for-real/

              >>> --

            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                As always, it comes down to the needs of the individual. If you don't need
                to watch anything Flashy, then iPad is going to be a great device for you.
                But if it was me having such a device, I would consider it to be a waste of
                money, since I use and view flash based content a lot.... and there are
                hundreds of millions of other people who use Flash every day, and for those
                people, anything BUT iPad will be considered useful.

                As long as it does what you need it to do, then it's fine.

                As long as it doesn't do what I would like it to, it's not going to be mine.

                Trausti

                On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:45 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:

                > On 8 Jul 2010, at 12:03, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                >
                > > Matthew. You can not watch MILLIONS of websites that use Flash only, and
                > > which do not provide support for the iSnob devices. So don't try to brush
                > > this off as if it's only a minor issue bound to a couple or so sites.
                >
                > That's not what I'm saying. In the time I've had my iPad I've not been
                > restricted from viewing any content that I'd normally view. Even on my
                > MacPro I very rarely come across sites that are purely flash based or don't
                > offer other better options.
                >
                > Strange that I rarely come across any of these Flash only sites. The Flash
                > only sites that I do visit very rarely do anything that you can't do just as
                > easily without Flash.
                >

                > > I could direct you to thousands of sites if I had the time to waste on
                > such
                > > things. It is your choice to have a device that is handicapped by the
                > > DECISION of one man, and that was not your decision. There is no doubt at
                > > all, that if your Steve hadn't woke up in an anti-flash mood one morning,
                > > you would be overly happy to have flash support on your iPad. But since
                > you
                > > are a loyal Apple user, you follow their line without flinching,
                > pretending
                > > that all is good.
                > >

                > > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...<matthew%40360precision.com>
                > >wrote:
                > >

                > >> I don't know a single function my iPad can't perform because it lacks
                > >> Flash. Can I watch videos ? YES, can I view VRs ? YES. If you're too
                > lazy to
                > >> convert or create content for the iPad that's your problem, not mine and
                > >> certainly not Apples.
                > >>
                > >> The only website I've visited on the ipad that I've not been able to
                > view
                > >> is Nike.com and I simply went to Adidas and bought my shoes there. No
                > biggy
                > >> really. Also means I'm switching from Nike+ to Suunto Movescount. So by
                > >> using Flash, Nike has lost a customer and I know I'm not the only one.
                > >>
                > >> Matt

                > not"
                > >> the

                > >> images...
                > >> images
                > >> also

                > on
                > >>>>

                > http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/07/how-to-install-flash-on-your-jailbroken-ipad-for-real/

                > > --

              • Matthew Rogers
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                  OK, apart from your own product, give me five examples of sites that you use that require Flash.

                  Matt

                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                    http://www.youtube.com/
                    http://loombo.com/
                    http://megavideo.com/
                    http://freakmov.com/
                    http://wisevid.com/

                    Youtube, the world's biggest in online videos has decided to drop HTML5
                    videos as the "future"... contrary to what Steve was claiming... so even if
                    it is possible to see videos there on iDevices, it may end soon.... or it
                    may continue on limited basis.

                    Trausti

                    On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:

                    > OK, apart from your own product, give me five examples of sites that you
                    > use that require Flash.
                    >
                    > Matt

                  • prague
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                      I love watching this argument.

                      It's like those cock-fights that some people like to watch, but without the blood.

                      http://home.alphalink.com.au/~grum/oldbalipics/internetimage/fight.jpg

                      I guess everyone has their guilty pleasures

                      :-)

                      > http://www.youtube.com/
                      > http://loombo.com/
                      > http://megavideo.com/
                      > http://freakmov.com/
                      > http://wisevid.com/
                      >
                      > Youtube, the world's biggest in online videos has decided to drop HTML5
                      > videos as the "future"... contrary to what Steve was claiming... so even if
                      > it is possible to see videos there on iDevices, it may end soon.... or it
                      > may continue on limited basis.
                      >
                      > Trausti
                      >
                      > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:
                      >

                      > > OK, apart from your own product, give me five examples of sites that you
                      > > use that require Flash.
                      > >
                      > > Matt

                    • Matthew Rogers
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                        I know, but I still don't get his point. So he visits Youtube and 3 crappier versions of Youtube :(

                        Since Apple basically created digital video with the introduction of Quicktime there won't be a time when I can't view videos on my devices. So even if Youtube drop HTML5 (which isn't used in the native youtube app) I can still view all the video content in the native Youtube app.

                        As for file sharing, there are already dozens of file sharing utilities on the iPad and I can't see any use of Flash on Loombo anyway.

                        So your post basically proves to me that even you don't need Flash.

                        Matt

                        On 8 Jul 2010, at 14:15, prague wrote:

                        > I love watching this argument.
                        >
                        > It's like those cock-fights that some people like to watch, but without the blood.
                        >
                        > http://home.alphalink.com.au/~grum/oldbalipics/internetimage/fight.jpg
                        >
                        > I guess everyone has their guilty pleasures
                        >
                        > :-)
                        >
                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > http://www.youtube.com/
                        > > http://loombo.com/
                        > > http://megavideo.com/
                        > > http://freakmov.com/
                        > > http://wisevid.com/
                        > >
                        > > Youtube, the world's biggest in online videos has decided to drop HTML5
                        > > videos as the "future"... contrary to what Steve was claiming... so even if
                        > > it is possible to see videos there on iDevices, it may end soon.... or it
                        > > may continue on limited basis.
                        > >
                        > > Trausti
                        > >
                        > > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > OK, apart from your own product, give me five examples of sites that you
                        > > > use that require Flash.
                        > > >
                        > > > Matt

                      • Trausti Hraunfjord
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                          I don't know if this even qualifies as a fight... the tone is way too
                          friendly.

                          Personally I don't give a hoot about iPad or iPhones.... or any other phones
                          for that matter.... but my thought is that the owners of such devices have
                          been cheated from making their own choices. Just as it would be with my
                          previously mentioned (imaginary) camera example...

                          If Adobe excluded Apple platforms from using it's products, it would
                          probably make every Apple fan go nuts.... but if Steve would exclude all
                          Adobe products from having access to Macs... the fans would probably have a
                          big party and say that it didn't matter at all, because there are other
                          image editors available than PS, and After Effects are not that important,
                          because there is something else that can take it's place... of course none
                          of the replacements would be able to do EVERYTHING the Adobe products can,
                          but the fans would not worry about that, because there would be something
                          really fantastic just around the corner behind their iGod Steve.

                          In my personal opinion, Mac's are great machinery, and absolutely superior
                          in every way and form when compared to PC's. And I am sure that iPhones and
                          iPads and whatever else there is in the iProduct line, is just as great
                          mechanically and on the software side. But that does not mean that I will
                          bow in the dust and praise everything that comes from Steve or Apple. He
                          has made some really bad judgement decisions, and that is a fact... at least
                          from where I view it.

                          Flash exists, and has existed for a long time. It works and can do things
                          that no other software can do. That is a fact.

                          To exclude such a platform, rather than support it, is stupid. The "new
                          standard" as it was touted by Apple a short while back, consisted of
                          completely outdated examples, which were intended to show that HTML5 could
                          do the same as Flash... but completely failed to make the point... unless
                          the point was to be made for people who have no inkling about anything.

                          Quicktime as a format to use?? Come on... that's so last century! It is a
                          terrible format... the installer is what... 30 mb today? Compare that to
                          the 2 mb Flash installer... and now Flash is getting integrated in browsers,
                          so it is not going to be a "plugin" any more. I have QT installed, but
                          truly despise it due to all the crashes it has caused on my end. Freezing
                          up the computer because it decided it had to check for an update. No thank
                          you. That kind of faulty-ware I can't vouch for.

                          I can watch movies in a much better quailty using Flash, and have much fewer
                          crashes.

                          So you couldn't watch anything on the sites in question... therefore you
                          feel that you have to call them crappy?

                          Isn't it just your iPad that is crappy for not being able to visit any site
                          on the internet?

                          :)

                          That IS the issue at hand. You pay good money for a device that prevents
                          you from accessing sites that might have material you would like to see...
                          but rather than admitting that it is a crappy device, you feel the need to
                          bad mouth sites that your iCan't device is unable to visit :)

                          Well... I have no problem watching things I want to see. You probably feel
                          the same.

                          ... but... again... why on earth would you use Quicktime for anything at
                          all, unless you are FORCED to use it?

                          Trausti

                          On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM, prague <360cities@...> wrote:

                          > I love watching this argument.
                          >
                          > It's like those cock-fights that some people like to watch, but without the
                          > blood.
                          >
                          > http://home.alphalink.com.au/~grum/oldbalipics/internetimage/fight.jpg<http://home.alphalink.com.au/%7Egrum/oldbalipics/internetimage/fight.jpg>
                          >
                          > I guess everyone has their guilty pleasures
                          >
                          > :-)
                          >

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > http://www.youtube.com/
                          > > http://loombo.com/
                          > > http://megavideo.com/
                          > > http://freakmov.com/
                          > > http://wisevid.com/
                          > >
                          > > Youtube, the world's biggest in online videos has decided to drop HTML5
                          > > videos as the "future"... contrary to what Steve was claiming... so even
                          > if
                          > > it is possible to see videos there on iDevices, it may end soon.... or it
                          > > may continue on limited basis.
                          > >
                          > > Trausti
                          > >
                          > > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Matthew Rogers <matthew@...>wrote:
                          >

                          > > > OK, apart from your own product, give me five examples of sites that
                          > you
                          > > > use that require Flash.
                          > > >
                          > > > Matt

                        • Christian Bloch
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                            Actually, I'm glad there's less Flash-ONLY sites around these days. From a webdesigner standpoint they have always been horrible, non-indexed, with lengthy intro movies, fixed screen size. It's been a really bad habit to make the full site navigation in Flash, and always a bit lazy on the webdesigner's side.

                            Not saying Flash isn't useful - it's great for runtime-optimized interactive content. But a site that is ONLY Flash has always been considered a failure.

                            Blochi

                            On Jul 8, 2010, at 4:03 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

                            > You can not watch MILLIONS of websites that use Flash only, and
                            > which do not provide support for the iSnob devices.
                          • mick crane
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                              On Thu, July 8, 2010 3:49 pm, Christian Bloch wrote:
                              > Actually, I'm glad there's less Flash-ONLY sites around these days. From
                              > a webdesigner standpoint they have always been horrible, non-indexed,
                              > with lengthy intro movies, fixed screen size. It's been a really bad
                              > habit to make the full site navigation in Flash, and always a bit lazy on
                              > the webdesigner's side.
                              >
                              > Not saying Flash isn't useful - it's great for runtime-optimized
                              > interactive content. But a site that is ONLY Flash has always been
                              > considered a failure.

                              I like this one
                              http://hanamushi.jp/
                            • Henri Smeets
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                                I agree that Flash on iPad/Phone would be great but I cannot say that I
                                really, REALLY need it to be on there, Having had three iPhones by now and
                                awaiting the iPad I truly love many things that these devices have made
                                possible.

                                The iPhone was able to display my panorama's (CubeWorld/PangeaVR and now VR5
                                an KRPano) even before Android was available and the Windows Mobile devices
                                were horrible beyond comprehension. Android is still not able to show
                                panorama's.

                                The biggest crime I my humble opinion is having to work with things that are
                                hard to use or function slowly, have been poorly developed, etc. The
                                iDevices do not fall into that class, Windows does, so do the
                                parkingticketpoles here in Amsterdam, many Philips devices, Realviz Stitcher
                                and many more things!

                                Thankfully we can almost always choose an alternative, so let's not be
                                bitter about it!
                              • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                                  On 8 Jul 2010 at 13:20, Henri Smeets wrote:

                                  > I agree that Flash on iPad/Phone would be great but I cannot say that I
                                  > really, REALLY need it to be on there, Having had three iPhones by now and
                                  > awaiting the iPad I truly love many things that these devices have made
                                  > possible.
                                  >
                                  > The iPhone was able to display my panorama's (CubeWorld/PangeaVR and now VR5
                                  > an KRPano) even before Android was available and the Windows Mobile devices
                                  > were horrible beyond comprehension. Android is still not able to show
                                  > panorama's.
                                  >
                                  > The biggest crime I my humble opinion is having to work with things that are
                                  > hard to use or function slowly, have been poorly developed, etc. The
                                  > iDevices do not fall into that class, Windows does, so do the
                                  > parkingticketpoles here in Amsterdam, many Philips devices, Realviz Stitcher
                                  > and many more things!
                                  >
                                  > Thankfully we can almost always choose an alternative, so let's not be
                                  > bitter about it!

                                  Who can choose? iPad/iPod users can't choose, but have to depend on developers making
                                  their pages available as apps or viewable in a browser in iPosh format. Of the millions
                                  of web pages using Flash I don't think a very high percentage will be rewritten. At least
                                  I hope they won't, and that St Steve will be forced to remove his roadblock. Not very
                                  likely though, as most iUsers seems to be perfectly happy with their limited web options,
                                  thus there most likely will be no riot from unhappy users.

                                • Henri Smeets
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                                    Bjørn wrote: "Who can choose? iPad/iPod users can't choose"

                                    They DID choose, to buy a device that didn't support Flash

                                    Every new hard- or software-technology requires adjustments, tune-ups etc.
                                    We have Unix, Windows, MacOS and many more platforms on dozens of devices, I
                                    hear no one complaining the Kindle doesn't support PS3 games (or color for
                                    that matter)

                                    The most important issue is here that we have to adopt the new developments,
                                    I'd be crazy not to support iDevices, I even think it's an opportunity to
                                    enter new markets and develop new ideas!

                                    Flash on touchscreen devices has issues anyway, click-dragging is a pain,
                                    embedded flash in a html page would make that page not draggable on the
                                    flash surface so what if it fills the screen area, not to mention those
                                    obnoxious Flash add's that cover entire pages!
                                  • Paulo Fernandes
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                                      First I have an iPhone and I do miss flash.
                                      With that said one thing people tend to forget
                                      is that flash player wasn't available for ARM
                                      processors until last month. I'm sorry but that
                                      lame Flash Lite player was completely useless.
                                      iPhones exist for several years and adobe
                                      complained before they had a viable product!
                                      Even now flash is only available on the fastest
                                      Smartphones (with 1Ghz Arm processor like
                                      iPad or the latest Android mobiles).

                                      BUT, as soon as flash is available for my iPhone
                                      I'll be installing it :)

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On 8 de Jul de 2010, at 23:25, Henri Smeets <henri@...> wrote:

                                      > Bjørn wrote: "Who can choose? iPad/iPod users can't choose"
                                      >
                                      > They DID choose, to buy a device that didn't support Flash
                                      >
                                      > Every new hard- or software-technology requires adjustments, tune-ups etc.
                                      > We have Unix, Windows, MacOS and many more platforms on dozens of devices, I
                                      > hear no one complaining the Kindle doesn't support PS3 games (or color for
                                      > that matter)
                                      >
                                      > The most important issue is here that we have to adopt the new developments,
                                      > I'd be crazy not to support iDevices, I even think it's an opportunity to
                                      > enter new markets and develop new ideas!
                                      >
                                      > Flash on touchscreen devices has issues anyway, click-dragging is a pain,
                                      > embedded flash in a html page would make that page not draggable on the
                                      > flash surface so what if it fills the screen area, not to mention those
                                      > obnoxious Flash add's that cover entire pages!
                                    • tom_a_sparks
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 9, 2010
                                        the iDevices, have made us developer rethink our needs to use flash

                                        yes, I know that flash can do something that HTML5 cant do (eg: web cam access, but flash cant do local video transcoding like you can in java)

                                        this is the best example of where flash fails: http://www.spacesounds.com/

                                        tom
                                      • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 9, 2010
                                          I'm sure there's a lot of areas where Flash will never be useful in any way
                                          or form. Personally I find most Flash based websites to be nothing short of
                                          public torture chambers. Come there flashy ads sailing over the monitors...
                                          and I get this urge to smash the monitor.

                                          This space sounds site you linked... what is it that flash failed at doing
                                          there? Isn't the site doing what it was designed to do? Maybe the
                                          designers failed in their work ?

                                          I don't know... I don't find it interesting enough to spend too much time
                                          there, but if you point out where Flash has failed, I might agree... I don't
                                          consider Flash to be some holy cow that can't be poked at with pointy
                                          sticks.

                                          Local video transcoding... what exactly is that? Do you have some examples
                                          to share on that... I have absolutely no idea what that is.

                                          Trausti

                                          On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:38 AM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...>wrote:

                                          > the iDevices, have made us developer rethink our needs to use flash
                                          >
                                          > yes, I know that flash can do something that HTML5 cant do (eg: web cam
                                          > access, but flash cant do local video transcoding like you can in java)
                                          >
                                          > this is the best example of where flash fails: http://www.spacesounds.com/
                                          >
                                          > tom

                                        • Tom Sparks
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 9, 2010
                                            > or form.  Personally I find most Flash based websites
                                            > to be nothing short of
                                            > public torture chambers.  Come there flashy ads
                                            > sailing over the monitors...
                                            > and I get this urge to smash the monitor.
                                            >
                                            > This space sounds site you linked... what is it that flash
                                            > failed at doing
                                            > there?
                                            >  Isn't the site doing what it was designed to
                                            > do?
                                            >  Maybe the
                                            > designers failed in their work ?

                                            > Local video transcoding... what exactly is that?  Do
                                            > you have some examples
                                            > to share on that... I have absolutely no idea what that
                                            > is.

                                            you upload the video to youtube
                                            youtube transcodes the video for you

                                            while firefogg (http://firefogg.org/) dose all the work local and just uploads the video afterward

                                            recording a webcam in flash
                                            the video is streamed to a server
                                            but if you want to encode/transcode the video to webm or theora, forget it
                                            http://www.red5-recorder.com/demo.php

                                            > Trausti
                                            >

                                            > On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:38 AM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...>wrote:
                                            >

                                            > > the iDevices, have made us developer rethink our needs
                                            > to use flash
                                            > >
                                            > > yes, I know that flash can do something that HTML5
                                            > cant do (eg: web cam
                                            > > access, but flash cant do local video transcoding like
                                            > you can in java)
                                            > >
                                            > > this is the best example of where flash fails: http://www.spacesounds.com/
                                            > >
                                            > > tom

                                            >     PanoToolsNG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 9, 2010
                                              Ah... that was interesting! Thank you for the info... and yes, clearly
                                              Flash lags behind on that front.

                                              Trausti

                                              On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:41 AM, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks@...>wrote:

                                              > you upload the video to youtube
                                              > youtube transcodes the video for you
                                              >
                                              > while firefogg (http://firefogg.org/) dose all the work local and just
                                              > uploads the video afterward
                                              >
                                              > recording a webcam in flash
                                              > the video is streamed to a server
                                              > but if you want to encode/transcode the video to webm or theora, forget it
                                              > http://www.red5-recorder.com/demo.php

                                            • Keith Martin
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                Sometime around 8/7/10 (at 09:02 -0500) Trausti Hraunfjord said:

                                                >Isn't it just your iPad that is crappy for not being able to visit any site
                                                >on the internet?
                                                >
                                                >:)

                                                Trausti, smileys are good and proper, but they don't make a daft
                                                statement any less daft! "Any" site? Let's not fish for arguments,
                                                please.

                                                Me, I'm an eyes-wide-open Mac user. I've been using Macs since the
                                                mid-1980s and I've been MacUser's Technical Editor since the mid/late
                                                1990s. I totally agree that there's no such thing as a perfect
                                                platform. But I do like using the Mac, and I do find Windows, not
                                                always but often, to be a source of personal and tech-aesthetic
                                                annoyance. I say this in the hopes that others may regard me as an
                                                intelligent Mac user, not a Mac fanboi. (Well, I can hope, eh?)

                                                I have recently become an iPad owner. NO, it isn't the future of
                                                everything and it doesn't do everything I want. But DAMN, it is a
                                                lovely bit of kit; it is a supremely well-designed and
                                                well-integrated marraige of hardware and software.

                                                It is a very nice bit of tech, but don't get hung up on things like
                                                "but tablet-X and tablet-Y does this or that
                                                more/better/differently". It should definitely not be judged by spec
                                                sheets or features lists; it is far, far more than the sum of it's
                                                parts.

                                                It is a truly good personal device with astounding abilities. It
                                                doesn't do everything. But here's what I'm doing about that: I'm
                                                learning Objective C. This device is seriously EXCITING, and I want
                                                to take it as far as I can.

                                                The iPad is not a crappy device, it just doesn't do everything. If
                                                you want what it can't do, don't get it. Just please don't imply that
                                                those who choose it are fools.

                                              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                  Daft it was. Truly. It was supposed to read "any FLASH site on the
                                                  internet" ... don't know where that "flash" disappeared to ... was Steve in
                                                  here? :) Sorry for that.

                                                  And as to the quality of build. I don't think there is any other company in
                                                  the marketplace of computing and hand-held devices, that comes anywhere
                                                  close to Apple's products. It is engineering at it's best. No darn doubt
                                                  about that.

                                                  Last night I had an iPod nano to play with, and I was truly amazed by it's
                                                  capabilities... the camera, the video quality... the storage space, the
                                                  battery life... absolutely mind blowing!

                                                  I can absolutely see huge possibilities with it, and looking a couple of
                                                  years down the road of the future, it is clear to me that I will probably
                                                  start eating many of my previous statements right back... and I actually
                                                  don't see that as a bad thing.

                                                  Heck, right now I am even feeling that it's a good thing that Flash met this
                                                  fierce resistance by Steve, since it will result in better Flash for all of
                                                  us sooner rather than later.

                                                  Inconvenient yes... but that does actually depend on where one is viewing it
                                                  from.

                                                  More innovation is good. If there is no Flash for the iDevices, then there
                                                  will be more innovation needed in that field, so that Flash will not be
                                                  missed by anyone that has the iDevices, and that could actually result in
                                                  something that might spread into the normal computing world... and Flash
                                                  will have to get a lot better to wipe off the stains Steve smeared on it's
                                                  image, and that will be a good thing too.

                                                  Have I become a convert? No, but it has clearly helped me to gain better
                                                  understanding to meet different views, read online accounts of pros and
                                                  cons, and air my views to people of a different opinion.

                                                  So if my last writing against iDevices has been written, I would like to
                                                  thank all those who helped me to come to the point I am at now... and sorry
                                                  to those who got their knickers in a twist because I word things as I do ...
                                                  sometimes.

                                                  Trausti

                                                  On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

                                                  > Sometime around 8/7/10 (at 09:02 -0500) Trausti Hraunfjord said:
                                                  >
                                                  > >Isn't it just your iPad that is crappy for not being able to visit any
                                                  > site
                                                  > >on the internet?
                                                  > >
                                                  > >:)
                                                  >
                                                  > Trausti, smileys are good and proper, but they don't make a daft
                                                  > statement any less daft! "Any" site? Let's not fish for arguments,
                                                  > please.
                                                  >
                                                  > Me, I'm an eyes-wide-open Mac user. I've been using Macs since the
                                                  > mid-1980s and I've been MacUser's Technical Editor since the mid/late
                                                  > 1990s. I totally agree that there's no such thing as a perfect
                                                  > platform. But I do like using the Mac, and I do find Windows, not
                                                  > always but often, to be a source of personal and tech-aesthetic
                                                  > annoyance. I say this in the hopes that others may regard me as an
                                                  > intelligent Mac user, not a Mac fanboi. (Well, I can hope, eh?)
                                                  >
                                                  > I have recently become an iPad owner. NO, it isn't the future of
                                                  > everything and it doesn't do everything I want. But DAMN, it is a
                                                  > lovely bit of kit; it is a supremely well-designed and
                                                  > well-integrated marraige of hardware and software.
                                                  >
                                                  > It is a very nice bit of tech, but don't get hung up on things like
                                                  > "but tablet-X and tablet-Y does this or that
                                                  > more/better/differently". It should definitely not be judged by spec
                                                  > sheets or features lists; it is far, far more than the sum of it's
                                                  > parts.
                                                  >
                                                  > It is a truly good personal device with astounding abilities. It
                                                  > doesn't do everything. But here's what I'm doing about that: I'm
                                                  > learning Objective C. This device is seriously EXCITING, and I want
                                                  > to take it as far as I can.
                                                  >
                                                  > The iPad is not a crappy device, it just doesn't do everything. If
                                                  > you want what it can't do, don't get it. Just please don't imply that
                                                  > those who choose it are fools.

                                                • mrjimbo
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                    Trausti,
                                                    Your scaring me.. :-)... To sum on on my end.. I to think that these apple devices are actually pretty neat.. I also however am not convinced that Mr iJobs .. is on top of his game sometimes.. Anyway he's got a better track record at this stuff then I do so I guess I have to trust for a while. What's weird is that it seems that everyone tries to kill the guy on top (flash) ...wouldn't a more humane way simply be to develop an alternate then over time then make a switch.. rather then all this bashing ..

                                                    jimbo