Monopod base

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
      http://www.mediavr.com/monopodbase.jpg

      I've been wanting to have two hands free while attaching a camera rotator and twin cameras (for stereo) to a monopod so I put this monopod base together to hold the monopod upright while I was assembling and levelling the camera rig on top of it... the base is an aluminium fruit bowl. Lately there are a lot of cheap heavy duty cast aluminium candlesticks, bowls etc (Chinese) appearing and often they are good for hacking as camera supports. This setup is quite rigid enough, in calm conditions, for free standing standard panoramas too -- with much reduced nadir obstruction and shadowing issues, compared with using a tripod or having to hold the monopod.

      Peter M
    • fatchai
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
        yes correct. i have been searching base to support monopod shooting.
        what do you think these 2 ?

        http://www.xinxuyao.com/uploadfiles/Image/2008-4/0428093749-88301.jpg

        http://img08.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i8/T1jABjXmU9t0P2KYDc_095848.jpg_310x310.jpg

      • mick crane
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 8, 2010
          On Thu, July 8, 2010 7:38 am, fatchai wrote:
          > yes correct. i have been searching base to support monopod shooting. what
          > do you think these 2 ?
          >
          > http://www.xinxuyao.com/uploadfiles/Image/2008-4/0428093749-88301.jpg
          >

          > http://img08.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i8/T1jABjXmU9t0P2KYDc_095848.jpg_310x
          > 310.jpg

          with the threaded base manfrotto monopod I've used a table top tripod with
          a ballhead. I could also use the base of a potters banding wheel I've had
          tapped.
          something like this http://tinyurl.com/39djkuu

          mick
        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 8, 2010
            On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:38:18 +0900, fatchai <fatchai@...> wrote:

            > yes correct. i have been searching base to support monopod shooting.
            > what do you think these 2 ?
            >
            > http://www.xinxuyao.com/uploadfiles/Image/2008-4/0428093749-88301.jpg
            >
            > http://img08.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i8/T1jABjXmU9t0P2KYDc_095848.jpg_310x310.jpg

            I think these are quite "cute."

            My own idea was a something that could be placed on the ground with a
            kind of "star of David" hole into which the foot of the monopod fitted
            so that it could be quickly rotated to exactly the right angle for
            six around. I have no construction skills myself, and no-one I have
            talked to has gone on to make something of the kind, even after some
            initial enthusiasm. <sigh> I still think it's a good idea!

            Currently, I use a VERY small tripod into which the foot of the monopod
            screws, and which has a ball head that allows the monopod to be
            rotated about precisely the same point on the ground (I found that the
            monopod tip tended to "walk" just enough to make stitching nadirs a
            real pain).

            I still have to keep the monopod vertical, of course, which is easy
            enough using a bubble level velcro'd to it.

            Roger W.

            --
            Business: www.adex-japan.com
            Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 8, 2010
              In a similar vain I needed a stable Monopod as Tripods aren't allowed in the majority of National Trust buildings in the UK, so having seen an idea on the Nodal Ninja forum using a Velbon table top mini tripod I have come up with this solution.
              http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/tripod.jpg
              http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/mono.jpg
              http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/stab.jpg
              The base is the Velbon ULTRA MAXi mini and the Monopod itself is a Manfrotto 694, the coupling shim is 5cm x 18mmOD x 16mmID stainless steel.

              Geoff
            • Ian Wood
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 8, 2010
                That's almost identical to what I use a lot of the time, but with a Cullman monopod. As my camera has an L-plate on it, the NN head is replaced with a Novoflex ballhead and a flash bracket with a mini QR to grip the L-plate on the camera.

                Ian

                On 8 Jul 2010, at 20:26, g8dhe wrote:

                > In a similar vain I needed a stable Monopod as Tripods aren't allowed in the majority of National Trust buildings in the UK, so having seen an idea on the Nodal Ninja forum using a Velbon table top mini tripod I have come up with this solution.
                > http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/tripod.jpg
                > http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/mono.jpg
                > http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/stab.jpg
                > The base is the Velbon ULTRA MAXi mini and the Monopod itself is a Manfrotto 694, the coupling shim is 5cm x 18mmOD x 16mmID stainless steel.
                >
                > Geoff
              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 8, 2010
                  On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 04:26:13 +0900, g8dhe <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > In a similar vain I needed a stable Monopod as Tripods aren't allowed in
                  > the majority of National Trust buildings in the UK, so having seen an
                  > idea on the Nodal Ninja forum using a Velbon table top mini tripod I
                  > have come up with this solution.
                  > http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/tripod.jpg
                  > http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/mono.jpg
                  > http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/stab.jpg
                  > The base is the Velbon ULTRA MAXi mini and the Monopod itself is a
                  > Manfrotto 694, the coupling shim is 5cm x 18mmOD x 16mmID stainless
                  > steel.

                  This is functionally identical to the solution I came up with. But I
                  really don't see how this helps you overcome the National Trust ban on
                  tripods. I mean, it may be small, but it IS a tripod. No? Or is it OK
                  to use a tripod if it's combined with a monopod that dwarfs it?

                  Also, I don't feel the need for a click-stop rotator at the other end
                  of the monopod, as I use a ball-head to link the mini tripod and the
                  monopod, and align the orientation by eye. (But then I usually stick
                  to the easier four-shot/90-degree sets.)

                  Roger W.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 9, 2010
                    > tripods. I mean, it may be small, but it IS a tripod. No? Or is it OK
                    > to use a tripod if it's combined with a monopod that dwarfs it?
                    Well I guess it depends on your take as to why they don't like standard tripods ? Mine is that they block the corridors / walkways for other visitors, in which case the spread of the feet on the monopod is less than my own feet so no problem there.

                    > Also, I don't feel the need for a click-stop rotator at the other end
                    > of the monopod, as I use a ball-head to link the mini tripod and the
                    > monopod, and align the orientation by eye. (But then I usually stick
                    > to the easier four-shot/90-degree sets.)
                    In which case what's the difference from using the monopod on its own ? you would either need to bend down between each shot and lock it or its no different from a monopod resting on the ground ?

                    Geoff
                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 9, 2010
                      On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 05:52:24 +0900, g8dhe <yahoo@...> wrote:

                      >> tripods. I mean, it may be small, but it IS a tripod. No? Or is it OK
                      >> to use a tripod if it's combined with a monopod that dwarfs it?

                      > Well I guess it depends on your take as to why they don't like standard
                      > tripods ? Mine is that they block the corridors / walkways for other
                      > visitors, in which case the spread of the feet on the monopod is less
                      > than my own feet so no problem there.

                      Ah, that makes sense. I assumed it was a mindless exclusion of anyone
                      who might, through the possession of, gasp, a TRIPOD, be thought to
                      be a professional photographer. <wry grin> Japanese officials tend
                      to be more, well, officious, and I am sure that to them it would be a
                      case of "a tripod is a tripod is a tripod." For instance, when my wife
                      and I took a domestic flight to Okinawa last week, I had to detach
                      the mini tripod because when it was attached to the monopod the combined
                      length came slightly over that of the "bar" they were prepared to let
                      on board.

                      >> Also, I don't feel the need for a click-stop rotator at the other end
                      >> of the monopod, as I use a ball-head to link the mini tripod and the
                      >> monopod, and align the orientation by eye. (But then I usually stick
                      >> to the easier four-shot/90-degree sets.)

                      > In which case what's the difference from using the monopod on its own ?
                      > you would either need to bend down between each shot and lock it or its
                      > no different from a monopod resting on the ground ?

                      That's a good question. I did hint at the answer in my initial post. It
                      is because the foot of the monood tends to "walk" as I turn it, wandering
                      away from the initial position. This is very hard to prevent--impossible
                      on some types of flooring--and can create disproportionately large
                      problems with zeniths. I never lock the ball head but hold the monopd
                      in its successive positions.

                      My mini-tripod holds the bottom in precisely the same spot but allows
                      the monopod to turn freely. For me, it's ideal. The tripod itself is
                      not strong enough to hold the entire camera/head/monopod rigidly still,
                      so I am not tempted to use it for six-around, where it is much harder to
                      estimate 60 degrees by eye than 90 degrees and therefore really requires
                      the Nodal Ninja head. It is quite strong enough to hold the bottom of
                      the monopod in position though, as I grasp it and walk it around...

                      Hope this makes things clear.

                      Roger W.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 10, 2010
                        On Sat, July 10, 2010 5:00 am, Roger D. Williams wrote:

                        > My mini-tripod holds the bottom in precisely the same spot but allows
                        > the monopod to turn freely. For me, it's ideal. The tripod itself is not
                        > strong enough to hold the entire camera/head/monopod rigidly still, so I
                        > am not tempted to use it for six-around, where it is much harder to
                        > estimate 60 degrees by eye than 90 degrees

                        of course the little legs themselves make a reasonable guide.

                        mick
                      • Csaba Tóth
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 10, 2010
                          I got and use one TrekPod:
                          http://www.hhcdistribution.dk/?produktArkiv=detaljer&pID=806

                          csaba

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 10, 2010
                            On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:25:22 +0900, mick crane <mick.crane@...>
                            wrote:

                            > On Sat, July 10, 2010 5:00 am, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                            >
                            >> My mini-tripod holds the bottom in precisely the same spot but allows
                            >> the monopod to turn freely. For me, it's ideal. The tripod itself is not
                            >> strong enough to hold the entire camera/head/monopod rigidly still, so
                            >> am not tempted to use it for six-around, where it is much harder to
                            >> estimate 60 degrees by eye than 90 degrees
                            >
                            > of course the little legs themselves make a reasonable guide.

                            I do my best. If it were THREE around, which would require a full-frame
                            camera with my 8mm Sigma, the three legs point in the right directions,
                            but judging halfway between them is not so easy.

                            Roger W

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 10, 2010
                              On Sat, July 10, 2010 5:20 pm, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                              > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:25:22 +0900, mick crane <mick.crane@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >

                              >> On Sat, July 10, 2010 5:00 am, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                              >>

                              >>> My mini-tripod holds the bottom in precisely the same spot but allows
                              >>> the monopod to turn freely. For me, it's ideal. The tripod itself is
                              >>> not strong enough to hold the entire camera/head/monopod rigidly
                              >>> still, so I
                              >>> am not tempted to use it for six-around, where it is much harder to
                              >>> estimate 60 degrees by eye than 90 degrees
                              >>
                              >> of course the little legs themselves make a reasonable guide.
                              >
                              > I do my best. If it were THREE around, which would require a full-frame
                              > camera with my 8mm Sigma, the three legs point in the right directions, but
                              > judging halfway between them is not so easy.

                              you are supposed to get 3 around with this but might be a bit tight with a
                              monopod.

                              http://www.agnos.com/dati/download/download/manuali/mrotatorc_eng.pdf

                              mick
                            • Roger D. Williams
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 11, 2010
                                Thanks for the suggestion and the link, Mick. I have an Agnos ring mount,
                                so it is no problem to have the camera held at the right angle. I'll give
                                it a try. It would be great if it worked...

                                Roger W.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 11, 2010

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 11, 2010
                                    Sorry but I thought that my message did not get through the first time. That's why I sent it again.

                                    Cheers

                                    wrote:

                                    > On Sat, July 10, 2010 5:20 pm, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                    >> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:25:22 +0900, mick crane <mick.crane@...>
                                    >> wrote:

                                    >>> of course the little legs themselves make a reasonable guide.
                                    >>
                                    >> I do my best. If it were THREE around, which would require a full-frame
                                    >> camera with my 8mm Sigma, the three legs point in the right directions,
                                    >> but
                                    >> judging halfway between them is not so easy.
                                    >
                                    > you are supposed to get 3 around with this but might be a bit tight with
                                    > monopod.
                                    >

                                    > http://www.agnos.com/dati/download/download/manuali/mrotatorc_eng.pdf
                                    >
                                    > mick

                                    Business: www.adex-japan.com
                                    Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

                                  • Michael Crane
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 11, 2010
                                      Yes gmail doesn't always show your own mail