Custom underwater pano rig

  • Rick Drew
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2010
      If any of you are curious, here's a link to the details on the underwater
      pano rig we're using. The results are phenomenal! No noticeable parallax
      error.

      http://digitaldivemaster.com/UnderWater-Panoramic-Tripod-Head-Description.ht

      We've shot several pano's on a local shipwreck, plus at a local quarry.
      I'll be uploading them shortly. Shooting is easier and stitching is more
      difficult than I expected. PTgui only found 3 control points on one set, and
      none at all on the others. Part of the problem is the amount of debris
      floating in the water, plus there are some larger objects that bob around
      (they are secured, but are able to move.) And everything is pretty monotone.

      Some photos on Flickr:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/sets/72157624421894976/

      Comments welcome!

      Rick Drew

    • mal_yeo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2010
        Rick,

        Good to see some underwater panoramas!

        I find tripod based pano rigs too cumbersome to use easily underwater & I prefer monopod based setups.
        How much lead weight do you need to steady the rig?
        Housed cameras are very easily tipped over by water movement or bumps from the photographer.

        Control points are difficult underwater for the reasons you mentioned, after some time I've gotten better at pattern recognition manually. I tried Autopano Pro to more automatically process things but it was a failure & I'm best manually processing the pano.

        Lake shots will look monochrome, you may get more colour from the rusting metal if you use a grey card for manually setting colour temperature. I have a laminated grey card that I use for colour balance & exposure setting, as with many things underwater this only introduces another problem with the appearance of the water column - it tends to go magenta.
        Blending & masking together a natural coloured (as shot) pano with a grey card corrected pano results in a pleasing image.

        With Photoshop I have to double process the raw images to colour balance the grey card because naturally lit scenes are beyond the range envisaged practical by Adobe (or any one else).
        First pass with Camera Raw & save as 16B tiff, then using Bridge you can open the tiff file with Camera Raw again to complete colour temperature setting; I know this is strange but it works.

        All the best!

        Mal

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

        > If any of you are curious, here's a link to the details on the underwater
        > pano rig we're using. The results are phenomenal! No noticeable parallax
        > error.
        >

        > http://digitaldivemaster.com/UnderWater-Panoramic-Tripod-Head-Description.ht
        >

        > We've shot several pano's on a local shipwreck, plus at a local quarry.
        > I'll be uploading them shortly. Shooting is easier and stitching is more
        > difficult than I expected. PTgui only found 3 control points on one set, and
        > none at all on the others. Part of the problem is the amount of debris
        > floating in the water, plus there are some larger objects that bob around
        > (they are secured, but are able to move.) And everything is pretty monotone.
        >

        > Some photos on Flickr:
        >

        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/sets/72157624421894976/
        >

        > Comments welcome!
        >

        > Rick Drew

      • m_stosz
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2010
          Great work and thank you for sharing the details on your rig.

          Why is the base of the adapter v2 still as protruding as it is? Must make up quite a big area to patch afterwards.

          Yours,
          Michael