Sony Nex3/5 stereo panorama firmware now out

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
      http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/07/sony-nex-3-nex-5-cameras-receive-firmware-update-for-3d-panoramas/

      .. a sweeping burst of rapid shots across the scene is all you need to do they say .. probably using slice assembly left and right of centre frame (Peleg) -- as we have discussed I reckon

      Peter M
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
        > .. a sweeping burst of rapid shots across the scene is all you need to do they say .. probably using slice assembly left and right of centre frame (Peleg) ..

        thats what dpreview say too:
        http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10070101sonynexfirmwware.asp

        "Sony has released the promised firmware update for its NEX cameras adding 3D Sweep Panorama mode. This mode separates the left and right edges of the individual image used for creating panoramic shots. It then uses these slices' differing perspectives to create a 3D still image that can be played back if you buy one of the company's Bravia TVs. "

        Peter M
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2010
          there is a link here to an example stereo panorama shot with the Sony Nex camera 3d sweep mode:
          http://3dvision-blog.com/sonys-3d-sweep-panorama-now-available-in-compact-digital-cameras/#comments

          here is the link to the image
          http://www.akiross.es/El%20gaucho.MPO

          it is an MPO stereo image -- you can load it in a program eg. Stereophoto Maker that supports MPOs and see it various stereo ways
          (anaglyph etc) -- it is quite impressive -- about a 150 degree sweep of an interior with good but not very strong stereo, excellent detail. Panorama makers will soon find the mis-stitches but the average amateur wanting to make panoramic 3d shots for his Sony 3d TV would be happy I think.

          Peter M

          > http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/07/sony-nex-3-nex-5-cameras-receive-firmware-update-for-3d-panoramas/
          >
          > .. a sweeping burst of rapid shots across the scene is all you need to do they say .. probably using slice assembly left and right of centre frame (Peleg) -- as we have discussed I reckon
          >
          > Peter M

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2010
            Hello Peter,

            Thanks for the info with links.
            When double clicking on the link my webbrowser (Safari) shows the image as a
            normal 2D image.
            After downloading and opening the file with SPM running with Wine in OSX the
            image is showed as a 3D image.

            Indeed the 3D is not strong but clearly visible, perhaps it is a matter of a
            proper setup on a panohead with a sufficient amount of NPP of the lens. The
            result will also have less stitching errors, especially when using a
            motordrive.

            Wim
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2010
              but the 3D images captured by Sony camera can only be viewed by the Sony 3D
              TV.

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 12, 2010
                On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:10:30 +0900, fatchai <fatchai@...> wrote:

                > but the 3D images captured by Sony camera can only be viewed by the Sony
                > 3D TV.

                This is not so. You can save the files and transform them to any of
                the usual stereo formats. They can EASILY be viewed without further
                processing on a Sony 3D TV.

                Roger W.

                --
                Business: www.adex-japan.com