Re: Stereo pano viewing with the Zalman 24" 3d display

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
      Hello Peter,

      Thanks for the info about this 3D new monitor, it seems a very good display
      for 3D content if I have interpreted the specs right.
      The drawback is that with interlacing the effective screen resolution is
      halved and that you need dedicated and expensive hardware to make zooming
      possible, probably that means that on OSX I and my closed hardware (iMac) I
      am out of luck.

      Is the ghosting you experienced with the other 3D monitor a hardware related
      issue, is it caused by a bad polarising of the interlacing lines or
      something else ?

      Can you tell why you get flicker with your projection system and shutter
      glasses, was the frequency of the flipping of the left/right images to low
      (if I am right you need at least 120 HZ) or was it because there are
      synchronizing problems between the projector and the shutter glasses ?

      The 3D monitor/projection systems are all new to me so I am eager to learn
      before I buy my own 3D system.

      Wim
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:
        ,

        > Thanks for the info about this 3D new monitor, it seems a very good display
        > for 3D content if I have interpreted the specs right.
        > The drawback is that with interlacing the effective screen resolution is
        > halved and that you need dedicated and expensive hardware to make zooming
        > possible, probably that means that on OSX I and my closed hardware (iMac) I
        > am out of luck.

        Well we are all out of luck when it comes to a good stereo pano viewer -- with features like we are used to with 2d panos. We should try to encourage the Flash pano software makers to produce interlaced stereo versions. Actually the Glpanorama Stereo viewer zooming works ok with the keyboard shortcuts, just not with the right click menu I discovered later. This viewer might work on your Mac if you install Windows -- then you can use Stereophoto Maker as well which doubles as a viewer as well as being the most popular authoring program for stereo stills. They say on the SPM site it works well on Macs with Windows installed. Macs generally, like with stitching software, dont have much stereo software (though for 3d film editing, eg with Final Cut Pro, there are state of the art solutions).

        >>>Is the ghosting you experienced with the other 3D monitor a hardware related
        issue, is it caused by a bad polarising of the interlacing lines or
        something else ?

        The Iz3d monitor does not use interlacing. It has full resolution for both eyes but significant ghosting issues. An intractable aspect of their technology I think. But with certain stereo panoramas it looks really great -- but for most it is not acceptable for that -- though many users are happy with it for games in 3d.

        >>Can you tell why you get flicker with your projection system and shutter
        glasses, was the frequency of the flipping of the left/right images to low
        (if I am right you need at least 120 HZ) or was it because there are
        synchronizing problems between the projector and the shutter glasses ?

        One way of projecting stereo is with standard DLP projectors, many of which can project at 85Hz, using shutter glasses, but for stereo panoramas this means using Opengl Quadro or FireGl cards with "Hardware quad-buffered" stereo features. Lately this has become more difficult as Nvidia is pushing its 3d Vision hardware/software and has disabled stereo for earlier -- less expensive -- Quadro cards as they are not supported by the newer 3d vision drivers. But you can use the older drivers. With my projector each eye is seeing images flashing at half of 85Hz which means visible flicker. Newer 3d Vision certified and other projectors can project at 120Hz which gives no visible flicker at 60Hz for stereo for most people.

        Peter M
      • Wim Koornneef
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2010
          Hello Peter,

          Thanks for your explanation, it is all clear to me.
          I already use SPM on my iMac for authoring anaglyph panos. I started to use
          this app in Parallels with WindowsXP installed but since I found out that
          SPM also runs fine and very fast with OSX and Wine, I prefer to use the app
          in OSX (with Wine I get a much faster startup of the app then in Parallels).

          I wasn't aware of the viewer/player possibilities of SPM, as it turns out
          SPM is the *must have* Swiss army knife for stereo content makers.

          Best,
          Wim