Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Canyoning VR

  • mick crane
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
      On Tue, June 29, 2010 8:54 pm, Erik Krause wrote:

      >> what is the green thing above the carabeener ?
      >
      > A belay device, most likely a simple ATC:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belay_devices

      I tried this briefly. the mechanics are interesting, for abseiling this is
      like a double twist of a thin cord wrapped around the rope and attached to
      you which by holding lets the rope slip through but if you let go it snags
      and you do not fall. or one of those sprung teethed things that grab if
      let go. I cannot see how in the photograph the green thing with 2 ropes is
      operational.
      mick
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
        Am 29.06.2010 22:14, schrieb mick crane:

        > I cannot see how in the photograph the green thing with 2 ropes is
        > operational.

        You cannot see it because the perspective doesn't show it. But I can
        assure you: it works. ;-) But it doesn't lock automatically.

        This kind of belay and rappel device is nothing but a refined version of
        the original Sticht plate.

        You have several views here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/ATC_Guide
        If you pull the ropes down into the narrower slots, you get more friction.

      • Ignacio Ferrando Margel√≠
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
          It's this

          http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/belay-devices/reverso-3