Re: [PanoToolsNG] Mildly OT: installing Flash on OS X without password

  • Robert C. Fisher
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 29, 2010
      Ok Roger I have one user "Me" how do I set up an admin acct, or do I
      set up another user acct without admin privileges? If I do the later
      how do I get my user info into the new user acct?

      > Just a note - admin isn't root (thank god!), and all Flash Player
      > (or any
      > app) needs is admin... and unlike root, admin access does *not*
      > imply full
      > access to any files on your filesystem. Likewise, most all of us
      > should be
      > running our day to day login as a regular user - not admin... though
      > I'd be
      > willing to be not 10% of us do. This simple step is something
      > that'll go a
      > long way to limiting the damage of trojan horses and other malware,
      > and is
      > not nearly as limiting as it might sound.

      Cheers
      Robert C. Fisher
      VR Photography / Cinematography
      bob@...
      http://www.rcfisher.com
      Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 29, 2010
        Absolutely correct. I have been preaching this to Windows users for
        years... saves people from buying antivirus software and saves them from
        crashes and saves them from frustration ... and would also save me from
        having to fix their machines all the time... but unfortunately such an
        advice is not heeded by normal users.

        Me personally... never use a normal user account... but *that* is a
        different story :)

        Trausti