Re: [PanoToolsNG] Mildly OT: installing Flash on OS X without password

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 29, 2010
      On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM, mick crane <mick.crane@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, June 29, 2010 5:43 am, Kathy Wheeler wrote:
      > > My Firefox (beta) just updated itself to 3.6, and told me I should
      > > update my Flash plugin to prevent "security and stability" issues.
      > Security
      > > issues yet again. How wonderful ... not. I already run Flashblock and
      > > Flashkiller and I only allow Flash to run to see stuff
      > > I really want to (like the panos posted here). But the damn Flash
      > > installer wants my password, and for "security and stability" reasons and
      > > the poor track record Flash has in that area I'm not prepared to give it.
      > >
      > > So ... does any Mac user here know how to install the current Flash
      > > plugin by-passing the password requirement?? I found a windows related
      > > page, but it doesn't translate well to OS X. I can't see one good reason
      > > for Flash to need an administrator/system password. But at the moment as
      > > I've disabled the old insecure/unstable plugin I'm
      > > flying blind as far as most pano content is concerned :-(
      > >
      > > Suggestions appreciated, off-list if you prefer.
      >
      > It is the way things are these days. you have to take that leap of trust.
      > probably there are ways to protect sensitive stuff but generally
      > everything is done over the net and it wants root access. So you can be
      > safe and have stuff that doesn't work very well or take the risk.

      Just a note - admin isn't root (thank god!), and all Flash Player (or any
      app) needs is admin... and unlike root, admin access does *not* imply full
      access to any files on your filesystem. Likewise, most all of us should be
      running our day to day login as a regular user - not admin... though I'd be
      willing to be not 10% of us do. This simple step is something that'll go a
      long way to limiting the damage of trojan horses and other malware, and is
      not nearly as limiting as it might sound.

    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 29, 2010
        Ok Roger I have one user "Me" how do I set up an admin acct, or do I
        set up another user acct without admin privileges? If I do the later
        how do I get my user info into the new user acct?

        > Just a note - admin isn't root (thank god!), and all Flash Player
        > (or any
        > app) needs is admin... and unlike root, admin access does *not*
        > imply full
        > access to any files on your filesystem. Likewise, most all of us
        > should be
        > running our day to day login as a regular user - not admin... though
        > I'd be
        > willing to be not 10% of us do. This simple step is something
        > that'll go a
        > long way to limiting the damage of trojan horses and other malware,
        > and is
        > not nearly as limiting as it might sound.

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography / Cinematography
        bob@...
        http://www.rcfisher.com
        Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 29, 2010
          Absolutely correct. I have been preaching this to Windows users for
          years... saves people from buying antivirus software and saves them from
          crashes and saves them from frustration ... and would also save me from
          having to fix their machines all the time... but unfortunately such an
          advice is not heeded by normal users.

          Me personally... never use a normal user account... but *that* is a
          different story :)

          Trausti