Re: [PanoToolsNG] Canyoning VR

  • mick crane
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
      On Tue, June 29, 2010 11:31 am, Ignacio Ferrando Margelí wrote:
      > Hi,
      >

      > last week I made am VR of canyoning on Guara sierra (Huesca) ...
      >
      > http://www.abaco-digital.es/virtual.php?src=elvero
      what is the green thing above the carabeener ?
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
        Am 29.06.2010 20:56, schrieb mick crane:
        >> > http://www.abaco-digital.es/virtual.php?src=elvero
        > what is the green thing above the carabeener ?

        A belay device, most likely a simple ATC:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belay_devices

      • mick crane
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
          On Tue, June 29, 2010 8:54 pm, Erik Krause wrote:

          >> what is the green thing above the carabeener ?
          >
          > A belay device, most likely a simple ATC:
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belay_devices

          I tried this briefly. the mechanics are interesting, for abseiling this is
          like a double twist of a thin cord wrapped around the rope and attached to
          you which by holding lets the rope slip through but if you let go it snags
          and you do not fall. or one of those sprung teethed things that grab if
          let go. I cannot see how in the photograph the green thing with 2 ropes is
          operational.
          mick
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
            Am 29.06.2010 22:14, schrieb mick crane:

            > I cannot see how in the photograph the green thing with 2 ropes is
            > operational.

            You cannot see it because the perspective doesn't show it. But I can
            assure you: it works. ;-) But it doesn't lock automatically.

            This kind of belay and rappel device is nothing but a refined version of
            the original Sticht plate.

            You have several views here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/ATC_Guide
            If you pull the ropes down into the narrower slots, you get more friction.

          • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
              It's this

              http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/belay-devices/reverso-3