Hugin equivalent from command line

  • rockviolin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2010
      I'm working on a time-lapse panorama project. It's very close to working exactly how I want it to work. Here's what I've done/am doing now:

      1. Programmed a PTZ webcam to take images at defined angles at fixed intervals. The filenames of the images are basically the date+time+"pos"+position+".jpg"

      2. Initially took one set of photos, and copied them into my working directory as juust "pos0.jpg" "pos1.jpg" etc., and used Hugin to position the photos, create the control points, and so on, and produced the first panorama. Perfect.

      3. Now I am able to create a completely automated process where, for each new set of images, a script takes care of copying the images into the working directory, and uses the makefile (.mk) file created by Hugin to create a panorama.

      Like I said, it works almost perfectly, except for one thing: it does not adjust the individual images' brightness level to match each other, so the seams between the images are usually rather evident.

      If I use Hugin to manually do it, if I just place the new images in the working directory, pull up the .pto project file in Hugin, and just hit the "Align..." button on the Assistant tab, followed by the "Create panorama" button, the panorama comes out perfect without me having to make any decisions, just "Align..." then "Create Panorama."

      I just need to know exactly what Hugin is doing when you hit "Align...". I've spent hours trying to figure it out, but as we all know the documentation is very lacking in such details.

      It's very frustrating because Hugin describes itself as just a "GUI front end" to the Pano Tools, so you'd think it would be easy to replicate what it is doing. Not so much.

      All I need is for the brightness of the images to be adjusted before being "nona"-ed and "enblend"-ed so that the seams are not so evident. The "Align"+"Create Panorama" buttons do exactly what I want. I just need it to work on a server -- automatically, and headlessly.

      Can anyone help?

      Thank you.
    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010
        On Sun 27-Jun-2010 at 00:29 -0000, rockviolin wrote:

        > 3. Now I am able to create a completely automated process where,
        > for each new set of images, a script takes care of copying the
        > images into the working directory, and uses the makefile (.mk)
        > file created by Hugin to create a panorama.
        >
        > Like I said, it works almost perfectly, except for one thing: it
        > does not adjust the individual images' brightness level to match
        > each other, so the seams between the images are usually rather
        > evident.

        You need to use the vig_optimize tool as described here:

        http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_scripting_in_a_nutshell#Optimising_photometric_parameters

        With a recent Hugin snapshot you can also use new autooptimiser -m
        switch.

        --
        Bruno
      • nburtey
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2010
          > I'm working on a time-lapse panorama project. It's very close to working exactly how I want it to work. Here's what I've done/am doing now:
          >
          > 1. Programmed a PTZ webcam to take images at defined angles at fixed intervals. The filenames of the images are basically the date+time+"pos"+position+".jpg"

          This project seems really interesting !

          Would you like to share the camera you're using ?

          The motor is enough accurate to use a template ?

          Best regards,

          Nicolas Burtey
          http://www.nicolasburtey.net
        • Tom Hansen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2010
            I'm using an Axis 213 PTZ camera. The PTZ system on this model is very
            accurate. There is occasional problems with the camera housing shaking
            a bit in heavy weather, but it does not severely affect the results. I
            also have an older Axis 2130PTZ unit that is nearly identical to this
            one. It has been in continuous service since 2003 and is just as
            accurate, even after all this use.

            I will share more details as the project progresses. The sponsor of
            this project wants to be the first to see the results, which is
            understandable! I will post complete details relatively soon.

            I can tell you that I was able to substantially address the issue that I
            first posted about by adjusting the options being passed to enblend in
            the Makefile to increase the number of levels and to change the
            colometric corrections. It doesn't always give exactly the same results
            as using Hugin manually-- in some cases, particularly in low light, the
            seams are a bit more evident, vaguely -- but overall the results are
            extremely close, and often are better, in my subjective view.

            -Tom

            On 06/28/2010 06:43 AM, nburtey wrote:

            > > I'm working on a time-lapse panorama project. It's very close to
            > working exactly how I want it to work. Here's what I've done/am doing now:
            > >
            > > 1. Programmed a PTZ webcam to take images at defined angles at fixed
            > intervals. The filenames of the images are basically the
            > date+time+"pos"+position+".jpg"
            >
            > This project seems really interesting !
            >
            > Would you like to share the camera you're using ?
            >
            > The motor is enough accurate to use a template ?
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Nicolas Burtey
            > http://www.nicolasburtey.net

          • Tom Hansen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
              Here is a link to the project page that I have created:
              http://waterbase.uwm.edu/datamap/cams/master.php

              It's still a work in progress. Basically it was created for a team of
              scientists to monitor beach conditions, in particular with regard to
              rain events. [See the date 2010/06/27 for a really good example of what
              we are observing.] So it's not perhaps as polished as a page intended
              for public consumption, but it works.

              As a follow-up to my original post, I played around with autooptimize
              and vig_optimize and neither tool seemed to work at all to balance the
              exposures. What really worked well in the end was to take the Makefile
              generated by hugin and change the following parameter lines:

              NONA_OPTS= -e exposure
              ENBLEND_OPTS= -f1768x587 --fine-mask -c -l 16

              I know, the "-e exposure" is wrong, it's supposed to be some exposure
              value. But it works somehow, so I left it in. The end result is probably
              90% as good as if I used hugin manually on each set of images. But of
              course, with dozens of new image sets generated per day, that's just not
              going to happen!

              The only thing is that I wish there existed a tool that could
              automatically make fine adjustments to the arrangement of the images to
              compensate for the slight variations in alignment caused by vibration of
              the camera in the wind. But I'm honestly quite happy with how it turned
              out as it is.

              --
              Tom Hansen
              Senior Information Processing Consultant

              nburtey wrote:

              > > I'm working on a time-lapse panorama project. It's very close to
              > working exactly how I want it to work. Here's what I've done/am doing now:
              > >
              > > 1. Programmed a PTZ webcam to take images at defined angles at fixed
              > intervals. The filenames of the images are basically the
              > date+time+"pos"+position+".jpg"
              >
              > This project seems really interesting !
              >
              > Would you like to share the camera you're using ?
              >
              > The motor is enough accurate to use a template ?
              >
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Nicolas Burtey
              > http://www.nicolasburtey.net

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2010
                Adjusting the alignments would work if you compared each image to a baseline
                image and corrected the viewpoints only (not ypr).
                That would alleviate the per-image wiggling perhaps for awhile while the
                images are similar.
                You'd need to update your baseline set based on when the windspeeds reach
                acceptable levels to optimize against the evolution of the details.

                Sacha Griffin
                Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                http://www.seeit360.net
                http://www.southern-digital.com