Did all of you pay $699.00 for Photoshop?

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
      Is there a way to get it cheaper? I mean, $699.00 for software
      is breath taking -- for me anyway...
    • Paulo Fernandes
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
        If you think that's bad...

        Adobe doesn't offer a upgrade path to education institutions, to upgrade our
        18 licenses they're asking for a minimum 18000�!! Taking in consideration we
        graduate about 30 to 35 professionals that are going to use Adobe's products
        for the rest of their lifes (Design, Multimedia, Cinema and Photography) and
        that we're not making profit (we're a private non profit university) we
        honestly think that it's a bit to expensive to shell out 18000� every two
        years...

        Just a rant...

        Best Regards,

        Paulo Fernandes
        Multimedia

        [image: logo-ggp-mail.png]

        Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multim�dia
        Cal�ada do Lidador, 22, 1�Andar
        4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375

        On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way to get it cheaper? I mean, $699.00 for software
        > is breath taking -- for me anyway...

      • Stephani Hill
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
          http://www.adobeinfo.com/storecodes/

          You can get 15% off if you are a member of certain groups or associations. If you are a student or you work for a school, you can get it much cheaper with an academic/educational discount. You do have to provide your student/faculty ID. I am still on CS3 because there is no way I could afford it even with a discount!

          Stephani
        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
            The sweetest deal I know of is from Wacom.

            I got the new Intuos4 for $349, which includes Photoshop Elements and an upgrade offer to CS5 for $299. So in the end I paid just as much, but got a brand new Wacom tablet out of it (my old one was terribly scratched and smaller). No regrets at all.
            http://www.wacom.com/intuos/medium.php

            Blochi

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
              Am 22.06.2010 19:14, schrieb Stephani Hill:
              > You can get 15% off if you are a member of certain groups or associations.

              And? Is PanotoolsNG eligible for the rebate? Or at least IVRPA?

            • Matt Smith
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                Hey, that is a great way to get both, I went to look.

                Now, anyone know who shot their product 360's

                Matt Smith
                PhotoSpherix
                317.396.5791
                360 Product Photography
                Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                http://www.photospherix.com

                On Jun 22, 2010, at 1:26 PM, Christian Bloch wrote:

                > The sweetest deal I know of is from Wacom.
                >
                > I got the new Intuos4 for $349, which includes Photoshop Elements
                > and an upgrade offer to CS5 for $299. So in the end I paid just as
                > much, but got a brand new Wacom tablet out of it (my old one was
                > terribly scratched and smaller). No regrets at all.
                > http://www.wacom.com/intuos/medium.php
                >
                > Blochi
                >
                > On Jun 22, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Ken Warner wrote:
                >
                >> Is there a way to get it cheaper? I mean, $699.00 for software
                >> is breath taking -- for me anyway...

              • Bostjan Burger
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                  Photoshop CS5 extended was 1300€ here in Slovenia (EU)...that is 1690$. Anyway everything here is with the double price as in US. From Gas to cars... and salaries are half of US for the same job done... I have not a clue why... kind a global 'hidden' tax supporting US? (lol)
                  Bostjan

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                    If you are a member of PPA, PIA or GATF you qualify. Those are the only 3 that I am aware of. The Wacom plan sounds like a winner though. Even if you don't need a new tablet, you could always resell it.

                    Stephani
                    On Jun 22, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Erik Krause wrote:

                    > Am 22.06.2010 19:14, schrieb Stephani Hill:
                    >> You can get 15% off if you are a member of certain groups or associations.
                    >
                    > And? Is PanotoolsNG eligible for the rebate? Or at least IVRPA?
                    >
                    > --
                    > Erik Krause
                    > http://www.erik-krause.de

                  • John Riley
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                      That seems way too high! On the Adobe Education site, they list the individual Student and Higher Ed Faculty price for PS Extended 5 as $199 and the Design Premium suite for $499. Institutional licensing is usually even lower. In 2007, I purchased Design Premium CS3 for $295 at my university on our State Contract (South Carolina, USA). It is $30 extra for a physical DVD or you can download a disk image for free. I would imagine that you would get even better pricing for 18 installations. You are right about the "no upgrade" policy, which is why I am still using CS3. CS4 just wasn't that compelling for me.

                      I know that Adobe really screws over the EU in general and Britain in particular (it seems they calculate the exchange rate as $1 = £1 = €1, LOL!) Isn't there some sort of government contract pricing in Portugal?

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...
                      (h)864-461-3504
                      (c)864-431-7075
                      (w)864-503-5775

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                        I realize I am heading into left field with this question, so I apologize if it is completely out of line....Do you have to buy the software in the country where you reside? Is it against the law to purchase in the US and have it shipped or would it be just as expensive that way?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                          On Jun 22, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

                          > Photoshop CS5 extended was 1300� here in Slovenia (EU)...that is 1690$. Anyway everything here is with the double price as in US. From Gas to cars... and salaries are half of US for the same job done... I have not a clue why... kind a global 'hidden' tax supporting US? (lol)

                          I imagine the tax in question is in your countries to support your wonderful social welfare programs. National healthcare and such. Wish we had it.

                          John Riley
                          johnriley@...
                          (h)864-461-3504
                          (c)864-431-7075
                          (w)864-503-5775

                        • Will Brown
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                            If you buy the smaller, cheaper intuos for $229, I think you still
                            qualify for the $299 upgrade
                            On Jun 22, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Matt Smith wrote:

                            > Hey, that is a great way to get both, I went to look.
                            >
                            > Now, anyone know who shot their product 360's
                            >
                            > Matt Smith
                            > PhotoSpherix
                            > 317.396.5791
                            > 360 Product Photography
                            > Indianapolis, Indiana USA
                            > http://www.photospherix.com
                            >
                            > On Jun 22, 2010, at 1:26 PM, Christian Bloch wrote:
                            >
                            > > The sweetest deal I know of is from Wacom.
                            > >
                            > > I got the new Intuos4 for $349, which includes Photoshop Elements
                            > > and an upgrade offer to CS5 for $299. So in the end I paid just as
                            > > much, but got a brand new Wacom tablet out of it (my old one was
                            > > terribly scratched and smaller). No regrets at all.
                            > > http://www.wacom.com/intuos/medium.php
                            > >
                            > > Blochi
                            > >
                            > > On Jun 22, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Ken Warner wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> Is there a way to get it cheaper? I mean, $699.00 for software
                            > >> is breath taking -- for me anyway...

                          • Bjørn K Nilssen
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                              On 22 Jun 2010 at 14:01, John Riley wrote:

                              > On Jun 22, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Bostjan Burger wrote:
                              >
                              > > Photoshop CS5 extended was 1300EUR here in Slovenia (EU)...that is 1690$. Anyway
                              > everything here is with the double price as in US. From Gas to cars... and salaries are
                              > half of US for the same job done... I have not a clue why... kind a global 'hidden' tax
                              > supporting US? (lol)
                              >
                              > I imagine the tax in question is in your countries to support your wonderful social
                              > welfare programs. National healthcare and such. Wish we had it.

                              The tax/VAT is probably not included in that price. Here in Norway the VAT is 25% on top
                              of the US price x 2 :-((
                              And it is not possible to buy from a shop in US, as they are not allowed to sell it to
                              other countries.
                              I really wish I wasn't so addicted to PS...
                              I hate to support a company that screws their loyal non-US customers like that. But I
                              guess that's just how capitalism works when a big company has no real competitors?

                            • jrgen_schrader
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                                699 and still complaining? - ROFL
                                Adobe Shop Germany 1.199 EUR + 19% VAT = 1.485 US$ + VAT!
                                (But at least you get free shipping, har, har.)

                                Now, who wonders why people don't feel guilty using pirated software?

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                                > On 22 Jun 2010 at 14:01, John Riley wrote:
                                >

                                > > On Jun 22, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Bostjan Burger wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Photoshop CS5 extended was 1300EUR here in Slovenia (EU)...that is 1690$. Anyway
                                > > everything here is with the double price as in US. From Gas to cars... and salaries are
                                > > half of US for the same job done... I have not a clue why... kind a global 'hidden' tax
                                > > supporting US? (lol)
                                > >
                                > > I imagine the tax in question is in your countries to support your wonderful social
                                > > welfare programs. National healthcare and such. Wish we had it.
                                >
                                > The tax/VAT is probably not included in that price. Here in Norway the VAT is 25% on top
                                > of the US price x 2 :-((
                                > And it is not possible to buy from a shop in US, as they are not allowed to sell it to
                                > other countries.
                                > I really wish I wasn't so addicted to PS...
                                > I hate to support a company that screws their loyal non-US customers like that. But I
                                > guess that's just how capitalism works when a big company has no real competitors?
                                >
                                > --
                                > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

                              • Roger D. Williams
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                                  On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 02:55:31 +0900, John Riley <johnriley@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > That seems way too high! On the Adobe Education site, they list the
                                  > individual Student and Higher Ed Faculty price for PS Extended 5 as $199
                                  > and the Design Premium suite for $499. Institutional licensing is
                                  > usually even lower. In 2007, I purchased Design Premium CS3 for $295 at
                                  > my university on our State Contract (South Carolina, USA). It is $30
                                  > extra for a physical DVD or you can download a disk image for free. I
                                  > would imagine that you would get even better pricing for 18
                                  > installations. You are right about the "no upgrade" policy, which is
                                  > why I am still using CS3. CS4 just wasn't that compelling for me.
                                  >
                                  > I know that Adobe really screws over the EU in general and Britain in
                                  > particular (it seems they calculate the exchange rate as $1 = £1 = €1,
                                  > LOL!) Isn't there some sort of government contract pricing in Portugal?

                                  If you think they screw the EU you should see what they do in Japan!

                                  Perhaps they are trying to pay back for Pearl Harbor?

                                  Roger W.

                                  --
                                  Business: www.adex-japan.com
                                  Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 22, 2010
                                    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 03:00:19 +0900, Stephani Hill
                                    <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

                                    > I realize I am heading into left field with this question, so I
                                    > apologize if it is completely out of line....Do you have to buy the
                                    > software in the country where you reside? Is it against the law to
                                    > purchase in the US and have it shipped or would it be just as expensive
                                    > that way?

                                    Once again I find myself on the same wavelength as you, Stephani.

                                    Adobe in the US will NOT ship purchases made from them to addresses
                                    outside the US. At least, they won't to Japan. One suggestion I did
                                    get was that as they (kindly!) allow for the fact that people resident
                                    in the US may move abroad, and take their software with them, they
                                    will honor the warranty for programs bought in the US but later
                                    used elsewhere. But if they learn that you got someone to send you
                                    the program from the US, forget it. It counts as a second-hand
                                    purchase and only the original purchaser gets the warranty.

                                    I investigated downloads, which they were offering for the first
                                    month or so, but the downloads were trials of the extended version
                                    only and I couldn't confirm whether or not that would necessarily
                                    involve me in paying for the EXTENDED upgrade when it came time
                                    for payment.

                                    In my case a PanoToolNG listmember bought and sent me PS CS2, but I
                                    cannot even REGISTER this for the goodies they promise you when you
                                    buy it. I actually wanted one of the fonts on offer and was annoyed
                                    to be deprived of what I had paid for... It becomes clear from my
                                    registration data that I live outside the US and this prevents
                                    completion of the process.

                                    Now a friend is bringing me an upgrade to CS5 from Hong Kong, and I
                                    am trusting that the product code from my CS2 will unlock the upgrade.

                                    The Japanese office of Adobe offered me an upgrade that cost as
                                    much as the entire (new) program in the US, if you can believe that!
                                    I couldn't, but was eventually convinced that they were serious.
                                    The only justification the smarmy guy who talked to me on the phone
                                    could gives was "the superior service that I would receive in Japan
                                    as a result of my payment." Ha!

                                    Roger W.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 23, 2010
                                      The download (and installed program, for that matter) is identical for all Photoshop flavors. Only the serial number distinguishes Regular from Extended, Demo from Registered. Essentially, a Regular Registered Serial just keeps the extended functions locked away... Adobe really values your investment in a large harddrive ;)

                                      On Jun 22, 2010, at 7:34 PM, Roger D. Williams wrote:

                                      > investigated downloads, which they were offering for the first
                                      > month or so, but the downloads were trials of the extended version
                                      > only and I couldn't confirm whether or not that would necessarily
                                      > involve me in paying for the EXTENDED upgrade when it came time
                                      > for payment.

                                    • Paul Fretheim
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 23, 2010
                                        I found a place that sold a CRAK for Photoshop CS2 for $49 or something.
                                        I don't know if such deals still exist, but if they do not treat your
                                        entire country fairly I wouldn't blame you if you searched the web for
                                        CRACKS of Photoshop. I am reviewing InDesign CS5 right now with a
                                        download trial and if I think it is worth it I will pay the $199 upgrade
                                        fee at the end of the trial.
                                      • John Riley
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 23, 2010
                                          On Jun 23, 2010, at 3:22 PM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                                          > I found a place that sold a CRAK for Photoshop CS2 for $49 or something.
                                          > I don't know if such deals still exist, but if they do not treat your
                                          > entire country fairly I wouldn't blame you if you searched the web for
                                          > CRACKS of Photoshop. I am reviewing InDesign CS5 right now with a
                                          > download trial and if I think it is worth it I will pay the $199 upgrade
                                          > fee at the end of the trial.

                                          Would you complain if someone sold your images or copies of your National Park CDs (without permission and paying no royalties to you) for $20 each?

                                          John

                                          John Riley
                                          johnriley@...
                                          (h)864-461-3504
                                          (c)864-431-7075
                                          (w)864-503-5775

                                        • Roger D. Williams
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 23, 2010
                                            On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 02:57:58 +0900, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > The download (and installed program, for that matter) is identical for
                                            > all Photoshop flavors. Only the serial number distinguishes Regular from
                                            > Extended, Demo from Registered. Essentially, a Regular Registered Serial
                                            > just keeps the extended functions locked away... Adobe really values
                                            > your investment in a large harddrive ;)
                                            >

                                            > On Jun 22, 2010, at 7:34 PM, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> investigated downloads, which they were offering for the first
                                            >> month or so, but the downloads were trials of the extended version
                                            >> only and I couldn't confirm whether or not that would necessarily
                                            >> involve me in paying for the EXTENDED upgrade when it came time
                                            >> for payment.

                                            Thank you. I wish I had thought to ask my question here; that answer
                                            would have had my CS5 up, running and paid for by now...

                                            Roger W.

                                            --
                                            Business: www.adex-japan.com
                                            Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                                          • mick crane
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 24, 2010
                                              On Wed, June 23, 2010 8:53 pm, John Riley wrote:

                                              > On Jun 23, 2010, at 3:22 PM, Paul Fretheim wrote:
                                              >

                                              >> I found a place that sold a CRAK for Photoshop CS2 for $49 or
                                              >> something. I don't know if such deals still exist, but if they do not
                                              >> treat your entire country fairly I wouldn't blame you if you searched
                                              >> the web for CRACKS of Photoshop. I am reviewing InDesign CS5 right now
                                              >> with a download trial and if I think it is worth it I will pay the $199
                                              >> upgrade fee at the end of the trial.
                                              >
                                              > Would you complain if someone sold your images or copies of your National
                                              > Park CDs (without permission and paying no royalties to you) for $20
                                              > each?

                                              image editors these days are like the roads and railways infrastructure
                                              and should be paid for from taxation in my opinion.
                                            • Paul Fretheim
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 24, 2010
                                                On Jun 23, 2010, at 3:22 PM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                                                > I found a place that sold a CRAK for Photoshop CS2 for $49 or something.
                                                > I don't know if such deals still exist, but if they do not treat your
                                                > entire country fairly I wouldn't blame you if you searched the web for
                                                > CRACKS of Photoshop. I am reviewing InDesign CS5 right now with a
                                                > download trial and if I think it is worth it I will pay the $199 upgrade
                                                > fee at the end of the trial.

                                                Would you complain if someone sold your images or copies of your
                                                National Park CDs (without permission and paying no royalties to you)
                                                for $20 each?

                                                Please note I said "If your entire country is treated unfairly" and I
                                                treat all countries the same. And "I will be paying the upgrade fee."
                                                I didn't say I bought the CRACK only that I was aware of it. I have
                                                been a legally licensed owner of Photoshop since my school in Seattle
                                                was a beta test site and Photoshop fit on a 440 k floppy and was in
                                                black and white only.
                                              • Roger Howard
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 24, 2010
                                                  On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

                                                  > I found a place that sold a CRAK for Photoshop CS2 for $49 or something.
                                                  > I don't know if such deals still exist, but if they do not treat your
                                                  > entire country fairly I wouldn't blame you if you searched the web for
                                                  > CRACKS of Photoshop. I am reviewing InDesign CS5 right now with a
                                                  > download trial and if I think it is worth it I will pay the $199 upgrade
                                                  > fee at the end of the trial.

                                                  Wow, incredibly uncool.