Re: Sigma 8mm and glare. etc.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2010
      Am 19.06.2010 23:21, schrieb Rick Drew:
      > I noticed a while back that the Sigma 8mm (and I'm sure many others) have an
      > area at the rear of the lens to insert gelatin filters. Has anyone had
      > experience using this for glare removal? Obviously there's no practical way
      > to put a polarizing filter in front of the lens.

      Willem-Jan Markerink, the previous maintainer of the fishlist (now
      maintained by Luca Vascon), had some circular polarizing film (you need
      circular a polarizer to not fool the exposure meter). He used to sell
      precisely cut round pieces that you can fit in the rear filter holder if
      you sacrifice one of the other filters (the Zenitar was deliverd with
      red, yellow and green filter). I got one many years ago for my Zenitar
      but used it only one time.

      Yes it works (at least somehow). However, if you shoot the sky you get a
      dark blue stripe across it. But sure it removes glare on non-metallic
      surfaces (like leaves, skin, cars, glass etc). With the Zenitar the
      drawback was that you have to adjust it in the right angle before you
      attach the lens to the camera. With a circular fisheye you simply could
      turn the whole camera until the effect is as desired.

      If you don't have a source for circular polarizing film perhaps you can
      butcher 3D-glasses like they are used in 3D-cinemas. They use left and
      right circular polarizing film in order to separate images for left and
      right eye. For photography you must use the the other way round (eye
      side to object).

      best regards