Report on PTStitcher Results

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
      With helpful advice received here (thanks, Erik, Sacha and Wim),
      I have managed to test PTStitcherNG (V 0.7) with a troublesome
      project that Smartblend handled well but took an unconscionably long
      time to process. This was AFTER setting environment TMP and TEMP
      variables appropriately and closing down things like file indexing,
      etc., that might further slow things down. Perhaps I am too
      impatient. 45 minutes to an hour for a four-shot panorama 9,000
      x 4,500 pixels seems far too long to me.

      It is the hands-down winner in terms of speed, but the results come
      just about mid-way between the PTgui native stitcher-blender and
      Smartblend.

      There were three problem areas (half people, or people with semi-
      transparent bits, or in one case, a person with two halves that
      didn't quite belong together.

      The half people and semi-transparent people were eliminated, but the
      badly assembled person remains a strange shape. Perhaps I can play
      with the "weighting" of the images either side of the join and
      get a whole person from one or the other side of the seam...

      It seems that PTStitcherNG is well worth trying in difficult
      cases (and is certainly quick and easy enough to use!) but cannot
      be expected to do quite as good a job as Smartblend.

      I think I will wait until it is has been internalized within PTgui
      before using it on a regular basis, as I cannot see how to use it
      every time without modifying the batch file onto which I drop the
      PTgui *.pts project file. Or perhaps I should say I can think of
      ways in which a modified batch file could work if I were prepared
      to modify my normal workflow and move files and programs around
      to suit, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble at this stage. But
      if there's a better way of using PTSitcherNG I would like to hear
      of it.

      But wow! PTStitcher is FAST!! Oh by the way, I didn't realize that
      if you try to use pseudo HDR within PTgui you can't use PTStitcher.
      Or is there a way I haven't found?

      A friend plans to bring me an upgrade copy of PS CS5 from Hongkong
      next month, so I will be able to play with the latest PS blending
      after that.

      Boy, I am glad I didn't try crowd scenes until I was experienced
      at producing panoramas without many people.

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
        Hello,

        just found at the QTVR-List: a new free (personal use) online Viewer for
        Panoramas for the iPhone and iPad:
        http://www.vrhabitat.com/#vr5

        Tom!
        www.langebilder.de
      • Tom! Striewisch

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
            I've been having a quick look myself. Biggest issue is the lack of
            momentum when panning, but it's nice and smooth, fairly responsive and
            zooming works quite well.

            Keith's already put up a version using the panoviewer comparison images:
            http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/comparisons/ios/vr5/

            Ian

            On 13 Jun 2010, at 19:51, Tom! Striewisch wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > just found at the QTVR-List: a new free (personal use) online Viewer
            > for
            > Panoramas for the iPhone and iPad:
            > http://www.vrhabitat.com/#vr5
            >
            > Tom!
            > www.langebilder.de
          • Willy Kaemena
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
              I guess there is room for improvement as this it the first release.

              Here my first test http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/test which I can see online on my iPhone, however would be interesting to know how this looks on an iPad. Anybody out there with an iPad?

              At the moment I have no clue how to make it offline viewable.

              Willy Kaemena

              On Jun 13, 2010, at 21:14, Ian Wood wrote:

              > I've been having a quick look myself. Biggest issue is the lack of
              > momentum when panning, but it's nice and smooth, fairly responsive and
              > zooming works quite well.
              >
              > Keith's already put up a version using the panoviewer comparison images:
              > http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/comparisons/ios/vr5/
              >
              > Ian
              >
              > On 13 Jun 2010, at 19:51, Tom! Striewisch wrote:
              >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > just found at the QTVR-List: a new free (personal use) online Viewer
              > > for
              > > Panoramas for the iPhone and iPad:
              > > http://www.vrhabitat.com/#vr5
              > >
              > > Tom!
              > > www.langebilder.de

            • Ian Wood
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
                On 13 Jun 2010, at 20:25, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                > I guess there is room for improvement as this it the first release.

                For a first release it's pretty good. There's a lot of stuff that isn't immediately obvious like the autorotation cancelling on interaction etc. Kudos to the author!

                > Here my first test http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/test which I can see online on my iPhone, however would be interesting to know how this looks on an iPad. Anybody out there with an iPad?

                It looks great on the iPad.

                > At the moment I have no clue how to make it offline viewable.

                You're probably missing files from the cache manifest (the list of files to be stored locally) but you'll have to wait until I'm back at a full computer to check.

                Ian

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
                  >At the moment I have no clue how to make it offline viewable.

                  It does seem a little mysterious. When I made my test it wouldn't
                  play online (it behaved more like a simple cropped image), and it
                  prompted me to save it to the 'home screen'. That opens up entirely
                  locally, even working when I'm in airplane mode - no external
                  connection at all. Pretty good for use as a portfolio but not for
                  making work available for easy online viewing by others.

                  Your example, on the other hand, worked as a pano directly. And the
                  saved item has to connect to the original site in order to play, like
                  a regular bookmark.

                  Strange difference. Did you do anything other than swap images? I
                  presume you did as you have a small 'rotate' badge beneath the circle
                  arrow graphic.

                • Willy Kaemena
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
                    No Keith, I swapped only images and planted a counter.....;-)

                    and it worked right away on the iphone. on MAC OS Safari however, changing the agent to iPhone shows a static pic...

                    Willy
                    On Jun 13, 2010, at 21:58, Keith Martin wrote:

                    > >At the moment I have no clue how to make it offline viewable.
                    >
                    > It does seem a little mysterious. When I made my test it wouldn't
                    > play online (it behaved more like a simple cropped image), and it
                    > prompted me to save it to the 'home screen'. That opens up entirely
                    > locally, even working when I'm in airplane mode - no external
                    > connection at all. Pretty good for use as a portfolio but not for
                    > making work available for easy online viewing by others.
                    >
                    > Your example, on the other hand, worked as a pano directly. And the
                    > saved item has to connect to the original site in order to play, like
                    > a regular bookmark.
                    >
                    > Strange difference. Did you do anything other than swap images? I
                    > presume you did as you have a small 'rotate' badge beneath the circle
                    > arrow graphic.

                  • bigwade
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
                      I must say speed IS impressive. (incl. blending, static image)
                      Thanks Wim for help to get the stitcher working in PTGui !

                      A 2 row project with 20 images 5DMK2 100 mm with different focus points took
                      PTGui over 1 Hour on my macbook and about 5-7 minutes with PTSitcher.
                      ±100x34 degree project, ±9500x37000 pix.
                      It's a pitty PTStitcher can't communicate with the horizontal compression of
                      PTGui because that's what I need for this project.
                    • Ian Wood
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 13, 2010
                        I don't think you'll be able to do that from MobileMe hosting, you
                        need to be able to set the MIME type for .manifest files so that the
                        browser knows what to do with them.

                        The .manifest file is the one which tells the browser which files to
                        download and store locally for offline viewing.

                        Ian