Panosalado help

  • mikh2161
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 10, 2010
      As the Panosalado site seems to be down, I was wondering if someone here could help me by explaining what I need to do to upgrade the version of Panosalado on my website to version 2, as well as what benefits the new version offers. Thanks!

      I downloaded version 2 and it seems to be in uncompiled source format, whereas I do not own a copy of Flash so am unable to compile it myself.

      Mike
    • mikh2161
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 21, 2010
        No replies. *sniff* :(

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mikh2161" <mikh2161@...> wrote:

        > As the Panosalado site seems to be down, I was wondering if someone here could help me by explaining what I need to do to upgrade the version of Panosalado on my website to version 2, as well as what benefits the new version offers. Thanks!
        >
        > I downloaded version 2 and it seems to be in uncompiled source format, whereas I do not own a copy of Flash so am unable to compile it myself.
        >

        > Mike

      • korlam gautam
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 21, 2010
          u can compile the source using the flex SDK which is a free download from
          the Adobe Flex Developer site . I havnt done it myself but I heard it is
          possible to do so.

          Details here : http://bit.ly/bqEn20

          Korlam Gautam,
          Fourth Year Undergraduate Student,
          Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.

          On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:08 PM, mikh2161 <mikh2161@...> wrote:

          > No replies. *sniff* :(
          >

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "mikh2161" <mikh2161@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > As the Panosalado site seems to be down, I was wondering if someone here
          > could help me by explaining what I need to do to upgrade the version of
          > Panosalado on my website to version 2, as well as what benefits the new
          > version offers. Thanks!
          > >
          > > I downloaded version 2 and it seems to be in uncompiled source format,
          > whereas I do not own a copy of Flash so am unable to compile it myself.
          > >

          > > Mike

        • Jan Martin
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 22, 2010
            I always thought that the missing flash executable is the biggest hindrance
            for the success of panosalado.

            I really makes things complicated for the non-programmer.
            Especially because there also is no click-by-click HowTo for the three most
            relevant operating systems.

            Maybe someone other than Patrick and Zephyr - who are always time stressed -
            likes to volunteer to write the HowTo?

            I did a few click-by-click HowTo's e.g. for stitching fisheye images with
            hugin myself, but flash is not part of my skills set.

            Jan

            --
            http://www.diy-streetview.org

          • mikh2161
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 23, 2010
              I was able to download the pre-compiled SWF files for the previous version. I just need the updated ones for version 2.0 (and notes on changes in their usage).

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 23, 2010
                Crap. I don't know anything about Flash development. Those instructions have 38 bullet points. That means 38 things I could screw up.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, korlam gautam <korlamgautam@...> wrote:

                > u can compile the source using the flex SDK which is a free download from
                > the Adobe Flex Developer site . I havnt done it myself but I heard it is
                > possible to do so.
                >
                > Details here : http://bit.ly/bqEn20
              • Darren
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 28, 2010
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mikh2161" <mikh2161@...> wrote:

                  > Crap. I don't know anything about Flash development. Those instructions have 38 bullet points. That means 38 things I could screw up.

                  I tend to agree. I find it odd that I cannot locate a 'compiled' version of the Panosalado2 modules on the web (using Google).

                  :/
                • thebritishareyourmasters
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 29, 2010
                    I've managed to get Panosalado2 up and running. I compiled/edited it using Eclipse and the free Flex SDK.

                    I would say there's not really enough information to get it up and running in the documentation that comes with the current download ... even if you know what you are doing with Flex. I had to trawl through the source code trying to understand it in order to get it running and there is some guesswork involved.

                    Has anyone heard anything from the Panosalado people recently?

                    I'd also say that it appears the current download doesn't really have a 'configuration' file as such - the configuration is done though a .as file that has to be compiled at the moment. So there's still some (fairly easy) work to do to make a 'compiled' version available. (As far as I can tell).

                    It also seems to be pretty bare bones at the moment with lots of stubs where functionality seems planned. It's really just an expansion of the new 3d Flash 10 functionality. Which is good because it's really easy to extend in Flex.

                    I'd be happy to put up a step-by-step guide to getting it working, maybe with a 'compiled' version - but, since the was a fair amount of guesswork and I'd have to write some extensions/fixes of my own, I'm reluctant to do so without hearing from the Panosalado people for fear of creating a fork in the project.

                    If they have stopped supporting it though, I'm going to be using it soon, forking it anyway so I may as well publish what I do.

                    Anyway ... Panosalado people, if you are listening, it would be good to hear something from you.

                    Alex

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "mikh2161" <mikh2161@...> wrote:

                    > As the Panosalado site seems to be down, I was wondering if someone here could help me by explaining what I need to do to upgrade the version of Panosalado on my website to version 2, as well as what benefits the new version offers. Thanks!
                    >
                    > I downloaded version 2 and it seems to be in uncompiled source format, whereas I do not own a copy of Flash so am unable to compile it myself.
                    >

                    > Mike

                  • Darren
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 30, 2010
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "thebritishareyourmasters" <thebritishareyourmasters@...> wrote:

                      > I've managed to get Panosalado2 up and running. I compiled/edited it using Eclipse and the free Flex SDK.
                      >
                      > I would say there's not really enough information to get it up and running in the documentation that comes with the current download ... even if you know what you are doing with Flex. I had to trawl through the source code trying to understand it in order to get it running and there is some guesswork involved.
                      >
                      > Has anyone heard anything from the Panosalado people recently?
                      >
                      > I'd also say that it appears the current download doesn't really have a 'configuration' file as such - the configuration is done though a .as file that has to be compiled at the moment. So there's still some (fairly easy) work to do to make a 'compiled' version available. (As far as I can tell).
                      >
                      > It also seems to be pretty bare bones at the moment with lots of stubs where functionality seems planned. It's really just an expansion of the new 3d Flash 10 functionality. Which is good because it's really easy to extend in Flex.
                      >
                      > I'd be happy to put up a step-by-step guide to getting it working, maybe with a 'compiled' version - but, since the was a fair amount of guesswork and I'd have to write some extensions/fixes of my own, I'm reluctant to do so without hearing from the Panosalado people for fear of creating a fork in the project.
                      >
                      > If they have stopped supporting it though, I'm going to be using it soon, forking it anyway so I may as well publish what I do.
                      >
                      > Anyway ... Panosalado people, if you are listening, it would be good to hear something from you.
                      >
                      > Alex

                      I applaud your efforts!

                      Here is a brief synopsis of my own efforts:

                      1) Download the old-but-working binaries from who-knows-where many months back. Manage to get 'preview' and 'hotspots' working with my own supplied pano images. Choppy viewing with artifacts, but it works. Binaries date from Aug 31/2009.

                      2) Download newer binaries (http://code.google.com/p/universalmap/updates/list). Manage to get basic viewing of my own pano images, but fail to get 'preview' working. Much nicer viewing: faster and no artifacts, but sad that the stuff I had working in #1 doesn't work. Binaries date from Sep 29/2009.

                      3) Recently get newest (?) source from Google site (http://os.ivrpa.org/panosalado/downloads) and follow the best instructions I could find for compiling (http://code.google.com/p/universalmap/wiki/PanoSaladoGettingStarted) even though this is total 'greek' to me, and I had to do this in 'Windows' rather than my comfortable 'Linux' world. Successfully (?) compile 'PanoSalado.swf', but fail to view any images with it. No sample HTML and/or XML is supplied, and older instructions talk about needing to create 'ModuleLoader.swf' as well, but no 'ModuleLoader.as' source exists (no longer needed?). Source dates are 'Feb 9/2010'.

                      Gratefully, your recent efforts give me new hope, but also scare me a lot i.e. I have no (current) desire other than to acquire working binary 'swf' modules, working 'html/xml', and the ability to supply my own images (not somehow compiled 'into' the 'swf' modules or weird stuff like that). I did not know that 'Eclipse' was required (?).

                      So...I also would like to hear from the authors of this great software, certainly for future development -- but also for help/docs for the *existing* version which is only in source right now.

                      In the meantime, do *you* have working binaries/html/xml/etc. that I can simply plug my images into?

                      Thanks!
                    • thebritishareyourmasters
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 30, 2010
                        The version I'm dealing with is I think the latest: Panosalado2, which is no longer based on Pavervision3d and is therefore (though I have no experience of previous versions) I imagine a whole load better in terms of rendering quality and speed. Flash 10 added a bunch of 3d stuff natively which makes creating such an engine relatively straightforward (compared to before!).

                        In terms of there being any .swf that you just add your images to, I was unable to find anything like that in the download and there doesn't even seem to be an xml way of configuring it - you would have to compile an Actionscript file (Eclipse is just a general purpose development environment, you could also compile using the Flex SDK on the command line). Though, given the paucity of the documentation, there may be one.

                        Having said that, it would be a fairly straightforward task to create a simple .swf plug-in solution based on what there is. But I'm reluctant to do that without hearing anything from the developers ... even if it's just 'we're not active on this any more' ... because guesswork would be required and it may end up not being in line with any current development they are doing.

                        Surely these developers must be watching somewhere?! ... they put all this effort in, seems strange to abandon it without even really releasing it.

                        Alex

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Darren" <darethehair@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        >
                        > Gratefully, your recent efforts give me new hope, but also scare me a lot i.e. I have no (current) desire other than to acquire working binary 'swf' modules, working 'html/xml', and the ability to supply my own images (not somehow compiled 'into' the 'swf' modules or weird stuff like that). I did not know that 'Eclipse' was required (?).
                        >
                        > So...I also would like to hear from the authors of this great software, certainly for future development -- but also for help/docs for the *existing* version which is only in source right now.
                        >
                        > In the meantime, do *you* have working binaries/html/xml/etc. that I can simply plug my images into?

                      • mick crane
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 30, 2010
                          On Fri, July 30, 2010 6:48 pm, thebritishareyourmasters wrote:
                          you really need to change the name
                          thanks
                          mick(brit)
                        • Mark D. Fink
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 30, 2010
                            What's wrong with the Briti sharing their masters? :o)

                          • Darren
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 30, 2010
                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "thebritishareyourmasters" <thebritishareyourmasters@...> wrote:

                              > The version I'm dealing with is I think the latest: Panosalado2, which is no longer based on Pavervision3d and is therefore (though I have no experience of previous versions) I imagine a whole load better in terms of rendering quality and speed. Flash 10 added a bunch of 3d stuff natively which makes creating such an engine relatively straightforward (compared to before!).
                              >
                              > In terms of there being any .swf that you just add your images to, I was unable to find anything like that in the download and there doesn't even seem to be an xml way of configuring it - you would have to compile an Actionscript file (Eclipse is just a general purpose development environment, you could also compile using the Flex SDK on the command line). Though, given the paucity of the documentation, there may be one.
                              >
                              > Having said that, it would be a fairly straightforward task to create a simple .swf plug-in solution based on what there is. But I'm reluctant to do that without hearing anything from the developers ... even if it's just 'we're not active on this any more' ... because guesswork would be required and it may end up not being in line with any current development they are doing.
                              >
                              > Surely these developers must be watching somewhere?! ... they put all this effort in, seems strange to abandon it without even really releasing it.
                              >
                              > Alex

                              Alex, just to be clear, are you saying that you have *not* yet reached the point that you can view panos with your self-compiled Panosalado2?
                            • thebritishareyourmasters
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 30, 2010
                                I can compile and create my own panos with Panosalado2. But that's because I can write Actionscript 3. So could anyone who knows AS3 pretty well and is willing to put in some effort to understand the Panosalado code. (found here: http://os.ivrpa.org/panosalado/)

                                I could potentially create a pre-compiled swf for people who don't know AS3 but I'd prefer to hear from the developers first, for the reasons in my last posts.

                                Alex

                                (Sorry about the username (though I stand by it completely!) ... this is my Yahoo Fantasy (American) Football login ... where a bit of (usually misplaced) bragging is essential.)

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 31, 2010
                                  On Fri, July 30, 2010 8:32 pm, Mark D. Fink wrote:
                                  > What's wrong with the Briti sharing their masters? :o)

                                  I noticed that too =^)