Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Surprising Peleng

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2010
      On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:01:12 +0900, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

      > Am 01.06.2010 09:42, schrieb Roger D. Williams:

      >> I've been truly astonished by the quality this lens gives
      >> me on the K-x. I've just finished a comparison between my
      >> usual kit, D300 plus Sigma 8mm and the K-x plus Peleng 8mm.
      >>
      >> In almost every respect that matters I preferred the Peleng
      >> image! It was sharper, clearer, with better colour and
      >> contrast.
      >
      > The Peleng has a big drawback: It produces a strong flare if shooting
      > against a light source. If the light is in the center the flare is all
      > around the image circle making the outer parts of the image unusable. If
      > it is off-center it's on the opposite side of the circle. An example can
      > be seen here:
      > http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6868/8mm35sfg4.jpg
      > (from http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic13566_post152898.html )
      >
      > With sun in the image:
      > http://www.panograf.at/objektiv-vergleich-peleng-sigma-8mm-fisheye.html

      I shot 17 panoramas, one after another, all on the same sunny
      day, one of the few in the year when we in Japan have blue
      skies. I must say that I agree with you, Erik. Against a bright
      light (the sun, for instance!), flare can be a big problem.
      Off-center flare is less of a problem with reasonable overlap.
      The most trouble I have is with flare affecting the nadir,
      where cloning out the discolouration can be a pain. I don't
      often look at the viewfinder but I've resolved to do so more
      often in future, as flare is quite easily visible and can be
      minimised by moving into the shade. But sometimes the best
      spot to take the panorama is out there in the sun... and this
      is when the Peleng doesn't do so well.

      I do stand by my general assessment, though, and I know that
      you, Erik, have achieved splendid results with the Peleng.

      Oh, and I found that checking the PTgui "remove flare" option
      can sometimes help, although it does tend to intensify shadows
      too strongly for my taste.

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com