Re: [PanoToolsNG] HTML5 - the true tragedy

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 43 , Jun 3, 2010
      And then... on testing the link, I got nothing at all. Just a white page on
      FF and Chrome on my PC and laptop... and "page not found" on the iMac.

      Then it got back online a few minutes later.

      Looks as if HTML5 is not the new messiah of the internet... but just as
      faulty and bad... if not worse than what we already have. :)

      No surprise if you ask me.

      Trausti

    • Woody Howard
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 9, 2010
        I’m jumping in on the tail-end of the conversation but….. I use the Digimarc
        ( https://www.digimarc.com/solutions/images/ ) digital watermarking service
        when I’m worried about image theft. I haven’t tried it yet with panos but
        I’ll bet it works just the same. Embed the code into one of the cube faces.
        If someone “appropriates” the pano and post it online the service can search
        the web for your images and notify you where they are being used. You can
        even use their partner LicenseStream to do the dirty work (send
        notifications of copyright violations, etc..).

        The annual fee for the service may be considered expensive by some but for
        me it’s worth it. I started using it years ago – within weeks I discovered
        that a former customer “took” some of my elevated photography work and was
        reselling the images as stock photography online. I contacted the perp and
        the stock photo company and was rewarded with a check ! I didn’t get rich
        with that check, but it did supply me with enough cash to cover several
        years of the Digimarc service.

        I’ll be buying Pano Cocoon shortly.

        Woody

        <mailto:panolists%40azurevision.co.uk> >wrote:

        > >On 6 Jun 2010, at 12:33, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
        >>

        >> The VAST majority of professional photographers do exactly that. Go
        >> look at big names like Magnum (standard JPEGs shown via Flash) or
        >> Rankin (not even Flash just HTML) and you'll be hard-pressed to find
        >> encrypted images in general use.
        >

        >Ian, Magnum´s "standard JPEGs" wheter delivered via flash or plain HTML are
        >all branded. Just like many photographers brand the images in their
        >portfolio in some way or other. And most agencies that I know of do
        >likewise. Also, Magnum showcases mostly low resolution, highly compressed
        >images, like this example http://bit.ly/9brZMX . It points to a legit
        Magnum