Re: Sequoia National Park panos (not Mt Whitney!)

  • pedro_silva58
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 3:36 PM
      well, at least they have real trees... if they get lost in the forest they have to do more than stand up :-P

      > A tree that size is truly impossible to understand... be it through
      > pictures, panos or video. One will have to see and feel it in real life.
      >
      > ... on another thought... if there were trees of this size in Denmark, there
      > would probably be a law prohibiting them to exist.
      > There is a law that prohibits natural woods to exist there. Everything has
      > to be clean and nice. If trees fall, they have to be removed, paths can not
      > be overgrown etc. If you own land on which you have trees, you can receive
      > a fine if you don't keep it manicured to the standards of the law.
      >
      > It is great to see nature's incredible things... and not only having to see
      > clean and clear paths of pavement going between the trees.
      >
      > Trausti
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...>wrote:
      >

      > > For those of you who have never been standing in front of the General
      > > Sherman tree it's impossible to grasp the magnificence of this tree, no
      > > matter how well it's shot (thank you, Ron), its sheer size is
      > > staggering. This will put it into perspective for you. Before it broke
      > > off in January of 2006 the largest branch of the tree was 6.8 *FEET* in
      > > diameter and was 130 FEET above the ground. That's a full-sized tree as
      > > far as I'm concerned and it was merely a branch of the General Sherman
      > > tree.
      > >
      > > This tree, as well as the National Park its in, should be on your
      > > things-I-must-see/do-before-I-die list. Up near the top.
      > >

      > > Pat Swovelin
      > > Cool Guy @ Large

    • onezebra1
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3 3:42 PM
        I've been up there years ago; maybe on my next week off I will drive up there and use my pole setup to shoot some photos of the General Sherman tree along with other places around there. Now if I just had a longer pole!
        It is so beautiful up there, I should really try and get up there more often as it's only about a 5 hour drive from here.

        Roger Berry
      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3 10:59 PM
          Panos of sequoias are great! Tree is an amazing creature... yes I am proud that I live in country which 63% of area is covered with the forest. In last 15 years the coverage with the forest has increased from 54% to present 63% ... and we are in the Central Europe...
          :) Bostjan