Re:Lone Pine Lake and Whitney Portal

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 8:46 AM
      There are several views of Lone Pine Lake on my new product, "Take Home
      Mt. Whitney in Virtual Reality."

      There is a tremendous amount of snow this year and the snowpack is deep
      and ubiquitous for this time of year. I live in Independence, which is
      a popular resupply point for trekkers on the Pacific Crest Trail. I
      have yet to see my first trekker this spring.

      There is a very high and difficult pass between the Mt. Whitney area and
      Kearsarge Pass, which is the pass above Independence. The dangerous
      pass is Forester Pass which is just about exactly 4,000 meters high nad
      lies on the Kings/Kern divide. It's the highest pass on the trail
      between Mexico and Canada.

      I plan to cross it later this summer. I have been to the foot of the
      pass on both sides, but never over it. There are parts of the pass that
      require ice axes and glacier travel skills when the switchbacks are
      still covered with the ice clad drifts of the winter snowpack, as they
      must be now, June 3rd.

      I talked to a guy last spring who had saved a young woman's life after
      she managed to self arrest at the edge of a big sheer drop but could not
      climb back up. She had lost her footing while crossing one of the snow
      covered sections of the trail. He lowered a rope down and with a few
      people pulling they managed to pull her back up to a safer location. If
      she had not been carrying an ice ax which she was able to use for self
      arrest she would have catapulted over the edge to her death.

      http://inyopro.com/images/sheperds_alpine_meadow.html

      http://inyopro.com/images/tyndall_plateau_boulders.html

      http://inyopro.com/images/overlooking_forester_pass.html
    • Ron Rack
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3 1:17 PM
        Nice panos from the Mt Whitney area by Paul and Roger and the other
        week from J�rgen so I thought I would throw some into the mix. Just
        recently spent 1 day in the area so I could hit only the major tourist
        areas. Actually, I was on the other side (west) of the Sierras in
        Sequoia National Park only a few miles as the crow flies from Mt.
        Whitney. The big trees are on the west side of Sequoia NP and Mt
        Whitney is also in Sequoia NP on the eastern edge. I shot about a
        dozen panos but only have a few posted as of yet. Of course I have
        "General Sherman" the largest tree in the world and a couple other
        sequoias. Also in the pano from the top of Moro Rock, I was able to
        get a few interesting features such as a passing thunderstorm, a
        passing Swift (bird), and a kinda' rare phenomena called a
        "circumhorizontal arc" all in the same pano!

        Moro Rock
        <http://rackphoto.com/pp/2010/05/22/moro-rock-sequoia-national-park/>

        Sequoia Trees
        <http://rackphoto.com/pp/special-projects/sequoia-national-park/>

        ron rack
        http://360around.com

        On Jun 3, 2010, at 11:46 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

        > There are several views of Lone Pine Lake on my new product, "Take
        > Mt. Whitney in Virtual Reality."
        >
        > There is a tremendous amount of snow this year and the snowpack is
        > deep
        > and ubiquitous for this time of year. I live in Independence, which is
        > a popular resupply point for trekkers on the Pacific Crest Trail. I
        > have yet to see my first trekker this spring.
        >
        > There is a very high and difficult pass between the Mt. Whitney area
        > and
        > Kearsarge Pass, which is the pass above Independence. The dangerous
        > pass is Forester Pass which is just about exactly 4,000 meters high
        > nad
        > lies on the Kings/Kern divide. It's the highest pass on the trail
        > between Mexico and Canada.
        >
        > I plan to cross it later this summer. I have been to the foot of the
        > pass on both sides, but never over it. There are parts of the pass
        > that
        > require ice axes and glacier travel skills when the switchbacks are
        > still covered with the ice clad drifts of the winter snowpack, as they
        > must be now, June 3rd.
        >
        > I talked to a guy last spring who had saved a young woman's life after
        > she managed to self arrest at the edge of a big sheer drop but could
        > not
        > climb back up. She had lost her footing while crossing one of the snow
        > covered sections of the trail. He lowered a rope down and with a few
        > people pulling they managed to pull her back up to a safer location.
        > If
        > she had not been carrying an ice ax which she was able to use for self
        > arrest she would have catapulted over the edge to her death.
        >
        > http://inyopro.com/images/sheperds_alpine_meadow.html
        >
        > http://inyopro.com/images/tyndall_plateau_boulders.html
        >
        > http://inyopro.com/images/overlooking_forester_pass.html

      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3 3:07 PM
          On 6-3-2010 1:17 PM, Ron Rack's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
          typed ...:
          > Nice panos from the Mt Whitney area by Paul and Roger and the other
          > week from Jürgen so I thought I would throw some into the mix. Just
          > recently spent 1 day in the area so I could hit only the major tourist
          > areas. Actually, I was on the other side (west) of the Sierras in
          > Sequoia National Park only a few miles as the crow flies from Mt.
          > Whitney. The big trees are on the west side of Sequoia NP and Mt
          > Whitney is also in Sequoia NP on the eastern edge. I shot about a
          > dozen panos but only have a few posted as of yet. Of course I have
          > "General Sherman" the largest tree in the world and a couple other
          > sequoias. Also in the pano from the top of Moro Rock, I was able to
          > get a few interesting features such as a passing thunderstorm, a
          > passing Swift (bird), and a kinda' rare phenomena called a
          > "circumhorizontal arc" all in the same pano!
          >
          > Moro Rock
          > <http://rackphoto.com/pp/2010/05/22/moro-rock-sequoia-national-park/>
          >
          > Sequoia Trees
          > <http://rackphoto.com/pp/special-projects/sequoia-national-park/>

          For those of you who have never been standing in front of the General
          Sherman tree it's impossible to grasp the magnificence of this tree, no
          matter how well it's shot (thank you, Ron), its sheer size is
          staggering. This will put it into perspective for you. Before it broke
          off in January of 2006 the largest branch of the tree was 6.8 *FEET* in
          diameter and was 130 FEET above the ground. That's a full-sized tree as
          far as I'm concerned and it was merely a branch of the General Sherman tree.

          This tree, as well as the National Park its in, should be on your
          things-I-must-see/do-before-I-die list. Up near the top.

          > ron rack
          > http://360around.com
          >

          > On Jun 3, 2010, at 11:46 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:
          >
          >> There are several views of Lone Pine Lake on my new product, "Take
          >> Mt. Whitney in Virtual Reality."
          >>
          >> There is a tremendous amount of snow this year and the snowpack is
          >> deep
          >> and ubiquitous for this time of year. I live in Independence, which is
          >> a popular resupply point for trekkers on the Pacific Crest Trail. I
          >> have yet to see my first trekker this spring.
          >>
          >> There is a very high and difficult pass between the Mt. Whitney area
          >> and
          >> Kearsarge Pass, which is the pass above Independence. The dangerous
          >> pass is Forester Pass which is just about exactly 4,000 meters high
          >> nad
          >> lies on the Kings/Kern divide. It's the highest pass on the trail
          >> between Mexico and Canada.
          >>
          >> I plan to cross it later this summer. I have been to the foot of the
          >> pass on both sides, but never over it. There are parts of the pass
          >> that
          >> require ice axes and glacier travel skills when the switchbacks are
          >> still covered with the ice clad drifts of the winter snowpack, as they
          >> must be now, June 3rd.
          >>
          >> I talked to a guy last spring who had saved a young woman's life after
          >> she managed to self arrest at the edge of a big sheer drop but could
          >> not
          >> climb back up. She had lost her footing while crossing one of the snow
          >> covered sections of the trail. He lowered a rope down and with a few
          >> people pulling they managed to pull her back up to a safer location.
          >> If
          >> she had not been carrying an ice ax which she was able to use for self
          >> arrest she would have catapulted over the edge to her death.
          >>
          >> http://inyopro.com/images/sheperds_alpine_meadow.html
          >>
          >> http://inyopro.com/images/tyndall_plateau_boulders.html
          >>
          >> http://inyopro.com/images/overlooking_forester_pass.html

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large

        • Trausti Hraunfjord
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3 3:27 PM
            A tree that size is truly impossible to understand... be it through
            pictures, panos or video. One will have to see and feel it in real life.

            ... on another thought... if there were trees of this size in Denmark, there
            would probably be a law prohibiting them to exist.
            There is a law that prohibits natural woods to exist there. Everything has
            to be clean and nice. If trees fall, they have to be removed, paths can not
            be overgrown etc. If you own land on which you have trees, you can receive
            a fine if you don't keep it manicured to the standards of the law.

            It is great to see nature's incredible things... and not only having to see
            clean and clear paths of pavement going between the trees.

            Trausti

            On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...>wrote:

            > For those of you who have never been standing in front of the General
            > Sherman tree it's impossible to grasp the magnificence of this tree, no
            > matter how well it's shot (thank you, Ron), its sheer size is
            > staggering. This will put it into perspective for you. Before it broke
            > off in January of 2006 the largest branch of the tree was 6.8 *FEET* in
            > diameter and was 130 FEET above the ground. That's a full-sized tree as
            > far as I'm concerned and it was merely a branch of the General Sherman
            > tree.
            >
            > This tree, as well as the National Park its in, should be on your
            > things-I-must-see/do-before-I-die list. Up near the top.
            >

            > Pat Swovelin
            > Cool Guy @ Large

          • pedro_silva58
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3 3:36 PM
              well, at least they have real trees... if they get lost in the forest they have to do more than stand up :-P

              > A tree that size is truly impossible to understand... be it through
              > pictures, panos or video. One will have to see and feel it in real life.
              >
              > ... on another thought... if there were trees of this size in Denmark, there
              > would probably be a law prohibiting them to exist.
              > There is a law that prohibits natural woods to exist there. Everything has
              > to be clean and nice. If trees fall, they have to be removed, paths can not
              > be overgrown etc. If you own land on which you have trees, you can receive
              > a fine if you don't keep it manicured to the standards of the law.
              >
              > It is great to see nature's incredible things... and not only having to see
              > clean and clear paths of pavement going between the trees.
              >
              > Trausti
              >
              > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Pat Swovelin <panoramas@...>wrote:
              >

              > > For those of you who have never been standing in front of the General
              > > Sherman tree it's impossible to grasp the magnificence of this tree, no
              > > matter how well it's shot (thank you, Ron), its sheer size is
              > > staggering. This will put it into perspective for you. Before it broke
              > > off in January of 2006 the largest branch of the tree was 6.8 *FEET* in
              > > diameter and was 130 FEET above the ground. That's a full-sized tree as
              > > far as I'm concerned and it was merely a branch of the General Sherman
              > > tree.
              > >
              > > This tree, as well as the National Park its in, should be on your
              > > things-I-must-see/do-before-I-die list. Up near the top.
              > >

              > > Pat Swovelin
              > > Cool Guy @ Large

            • onezebra1
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3 3:42 PM
                I've been up there years ago; maybe on my next week off I will drive up there and use my pole setup to shoot some photos of the General Sherman tree along with other places around there. Now if I just had a longer pole!
                It is so beautiful up there, I should really try and get up there more often as it's only about a 5 hour drive from here.

                Roger Berry
              • Bostjan Burger
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3 10:59 PM
                  Panos of sequoias are great! Tree is an amazing creature... yes I am proud that I live in country which 63% of area is covered with the forest. In last 15 years the coverage with the forest has increased from 54% to present 63% ... and we are in the Central Europe...
                  :) Bostjan