Dodecacoptero

  • Michel Thoby
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2 7:57 AM
      I have read that this panorama:
      http://www.abaco-digital.es/virtual.php?src=dodeka
      was a "Primera fotografía esférica con dodecacoptero" and elsewhere that it was shot from an altitude of about 70 m from a RC helicopter under which a Nikon D3 + 10.5 combo was mounted.
      I have learnt that the allowable payload of this 12--engine flying platform is possibly more than 3 kg: if true this figure is rather impressive.

      From video images one can see the "dodecaptero" on early flights:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wp0c2znJQo
      The way to shoot Panorama is shown near the end of the video. The fisheye lens seems to be unshaved and six shots may be needed.

      Would Ignacio Ferrando Margeli be kind to tell us more about this aerial panorama photographic means?

      Michel Thoby

    • Bostjan Burger
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2 8:10 AM
        Hi Michel,
        quite a number of enterprises offers the IRC chopter VRps. I did first one allready in the year 2000 but it was very bad with the stiching and it was only cylindrical. But idea is same with the nowadays DSLR cameras. You can use the translate interface and read this article in Slovenian language: http://www.e-fotografija.si/templates/?a=1820&z=0
        :) Bostjan

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2 9:06 AM
          Nice.

          2010/6/2 Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...>

          quite a number of enterprises offers the IRC chopter VRps. I did first one
          > allready in the year 2000 but it was very bad with the stiching and it was
          > only cylindrical. But idea is same with the nowadays DSLR cameras. You can
          > use the translate interface and read this article in Slovenian language:
          > http://www.e-fotografija.si/templates/?a=1820&z=0
          >

          > We are doing our first high pole panoramas:
          http://www.recorridosvirtuales.com/blogger/toluca/toluca.html

          Not as high as an helicopter pano, but high enough to obtain interesting
          results.

          --
          L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
          felipe@...

        • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3 2:46 AM
            Hello,

            I was waiting to do more interesting work to present to you.. but I see that news spreads fast on Internet :-))

            Ok, we have build this "Dodecacopter" to made sphericals but instead of other solutions that I have see, I was very interested on use the same high quality gear that I normally use... so we have designed it to have enough payload... all the frame is made with carbon fiber and also the landing gear from photoshipone... the fly is electronically controlled with a lot of sensors and we have developed also an automatic shoot system, so when the model is on place it stays alone and with only a command it made all the photos...

            we just start to use it and we have only made one pano, I used the D3 with the 16mm

            I hope to do more samples soon

            regards

            El 02/06/2010, a las 16:57, Michel Thoby escribi�:

            > I have read that this panorama:
            > http://www.abaco-digital.es/virtual.php?src=dodeka
            > was a "Primera fotograf�a esf�rica con dodecacoptero" and elsewhere that it was shot from an altitude of about 70 m from a RC helicopter under which a Nikon D3 + 10.5 combo was mounted.
            > I have learnt that the allowable payload of this 12--engine flying platform is possibly more than 3 kg: if true this figure is rather impressive.
            >
            > From video images one can see the "dodecaptero" on early flights:
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wp0c2znJQo
            > The way to shoot Panorama is shown near the end of the video. The fisheye lens seems to be unshaved and six shots may be needed.
            >
            > Would Ignacio Ferrando Margeli be kind to tell us more about this aerial panorama photographic means?
            >
            > Michel Thoby

            Ignacio Ferrando Margel�

            Abaco Digital

            http://www.abaco-digital.com

          • Michel Thoby
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3 3:39 AM
              Hello Ignacio,

              To "use the same quality gear that you normally use" you said. Well, this first trial seems to show that you are on the right track.
              As the D3 is one of the heaviest SLR and as the 16 mm needs so many shots (i.e. ~ 6 shots around), you have proved that the system is designed with large operational margin if it were used with less demanding gears.

              Thank you for the prompt response!

              Michel

              Le 3 juin 2010 à 11:46, Ignacio Ferrando Margelí a écrit :

              > Hello,
              >
              > I was waiting to do more interesting work to present to you.. but I see that news spreads fast on Internet :-))
              >
              > Ok, we have build this "Dodecacopter" to made sphericals but instead of other solutions that I have see, I was very interested on use the same high quality gear that I normally use... so we have designed it to have enough payload... all the frame is made with carbon fiber and also the landing gear from photoshipone... the fly is electronically controlled with a lot of sensors and we have developed also an automatic shoot system, so when the model is on place it stays alone and with only a command it made all the photos...
              >
              > we just start to use it and we have only made one pano, I used the D3 with the 16mm
              >

              > I hope to do more samples soon
              >
              > regards
              >

              > El 02/06/2010, a las 16:57, Michel Thoby escribió:
              >
              >> I have read that this panorama:
              >> http://www.abaco-digital.es/virtual.php?src=dodeka
              >> was a "Primera fotografía esférica con dodecacoptero" and elsewhere that it was shot from an altitude of about 70 m from a RC helicopter under which a Nikon D3 + 10.5 combo was mounted.
              >> I have learnt that the allowable payload of this 12--engine flying platform is possibly more than 3 kg: if true this figure is rather impressive.
              >>
              >> From video images one can see the "dodecaptero" on early flights:
              >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wp0c2znJQo
              >> The way to shoot Panorama is shown near the end of the video. The fisheye lens seems to be unshaved and six shots may be needed.
              >>
              >> Would Ignacio Ferrando Margeli be kind to tell us more about this aerial panorama photographic means?
              >>
              >> Michel Thoby

              > Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
              >
              > Abaco Digital
              >
              > http://www.abaco-digital.com

            • prague
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3 6:00 AM
                Ignacio,

                on my 50 megabit connetion, I waited probably a minute (felt like more) for the 4MB pano to load. (I'm in europe.) And when it does load, the sky is totally posterized.

                Maybe this is only a demo, but you might want to check some image / server settings.

                jeffrey

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:

                > Hello Ignacio,
                >
                > To "use the same quality gear that you normally use" you said. Well, this first trial seems to show that you are on the right track.
                > As the D3 is one of the heaviest SLR and as the 16 mm needs so many shots (i.e. ~ 6 shots around), you have proved that the system is designed with large operational margin if it were used with less demanding gears.
                >
                > Thank you for the prompt response!
                >
                > Michel
                >
                > Le 3 juin 2010 � 11:46, Ignacio Ferrando Margel� a �crit :
                >

                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I was waiting to do more interesting work to present to you.. but I see that news spreads fast on Internet :-))
                > >
                > > Ok, we have build this "Dodecacopter" to made sphericals but instead of other solutions that I have see, I was very interested on use the same high quality gear that I normally use... so we have designed it to have enough payload... all the frame is made with carbon fiber and also the landing gear from photoshipone... the fly is electronically controlled with a lot of sensors and we have developed also an automatic shoot system, so when the model is on place it stays alone and with only a command it made all the photos...
                > >
                > > we just start to use it and we have only made one pano, I used the D3 with the 16mm
                > >

                > > I hope to do more samples soon
                > >
                > > regards
                > >

                > > El 02/06/2010, a las 16:57, Michel Thoby escribi�:
                > >
                > >> I have read that this panorama:
                > >> http://www.abaco-digital.es/virtual.php?src=dodeka
                > >> was a "Primera fotograf�a esf�rica con dodecacoptero" and elsewhere that it was shot from an altitude of about 70 m from a RC helicopter under which a Nikon D3 + 10.5 combo was mounted.
                > >> I have learnt that the allowable payload of this 12--engine flying platform is possibly more than 3 kg: if true this figure is rather impressive.
                > >>
                > >> From video images one can see the "dodecaptero" on early flights:
                > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wp0c2znJQo
                > >> The way to shoot Panorama is shown near the end of the video. The fisheye lens seems to be unshaved and six shots may be needed.
                > >>
                > >> Would Ignacio Ferrando Margeli be kind to tell us more about this aerial panorama photographic means?
                > >>
                > >> Michel Thoby

                > > Ignacio Ferrando Margel�
                > >
                > > Abaco Digital
                > >
                > > http://www.abaco-digital.com

                > > --

              • Bostjan Burger
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3 6:27 AM
                  Jeff,
                  sorry but there must be, or it was something wrong with your connection ... I have same 'speed' connection as you and Ignacios IRC chopter VRp loads within few seconds acctually immediatelly... and the VRP is with very good picture.
                  :) Bostjan

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3 6:50 AM
                    Fantastic job Ignacio .. congratulations . I dream with such a "toy" .

                    Fernando
                    Salvador Bahia
                    Brazil.

                    On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

                    > Jeff,
                    > sorry but there must be, or it was something wrong with your connection ...
                    > I have same 'speed' connection as you and Ignacios IRC chopter VRp loads
                    > within few seconds acctually immediatelly... and the VRP is with very good
                    > picture.
                    > :) Bostjan
                    >
                    > --- On Thu, 6/3/10, prague <360cities@... <360cities%40gmail.com>>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > From: prague <360cities@... <360cities%40gmail.com>>
                    > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Dodecacoptero
                    > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Date: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 3:00 PM
                    >

                    > Ignacio,
                    >
                    > on my 50 megabit connetion, I waited probably a minute (felt like more) for
                    > the 4MB pano to load. (I'm in europe.) And when it does load, the sky is
                    > totally posterized.
                    >
                    > Maybe this is only a demo, but you might want to check some image / server
                    > settings.
                    >
                    > jeffrey

                  • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 3 7:49 AM
                      Yes, but I will be happy if Mr. Nikon decide to made a new Dxxx with better quality of the D3 and lighter....:-))) that will increase the autonomy...

                      El 03/06/2010, a las 12:39, Michel Thoby escribió:

                      > Hello Ignacio,
                      >
                      > To "use the same quality gear that you normally use" you said. Well, this first trial seems to show that you are on the right track.
                      > As the D3 is one of the heaviest SLR and as the 16 mm needs so many shots (i.e. ~ 6 shots around), you have proved that the system is designed with large operational margin if it were used with less demanding gears.
                      >
                      > Thank you for the prompt response!
                      >
                      > Michel

                      Ignacio Ferrando Margelí

                      Abaco Digital

                      http://www.abaco-digital.com

                    • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3 7:53 AM
                        Jeffrey,

                        I'm using the AutoQuality pluging I'm not sure if your problem comes from there... nobody have said me nothing

                        regards

                        El 03/06/2010, a las 15:00, prague escribi�:

                        > Ignacio,
                        >
                        > on my 50 megabit connetion, I waited probably a minute (felt like more) for the 4MB pano to load. (I'm in europe.) And when it does load, the sky is totally posterized.
                        >
                        > Maybe this is only a demo, but you might want to check some image / server settings.
                        >
                        > jeffrey
                        >
                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello Ignacio,
                        > >
                        > > To "use the same quality gear that you normally use" you said. Well, this first trial seems to show that you are on the right track.
                        > > As the D3 is one of the heaviest SLR and as the 16 mm needs so many shots (i.e. ~ 6 shots around), you have proved that the system is designed with large operational margin if it were used with less demanding gears.
                        > >
                        > > Thank you for the prompt response!
                        > >
                        > > Michel
                        > >
                        > > Le 3 juin 2010 ��� 11:46, Ignacio Ferrando Margel��� a ���crit :
                        > >

                        > > > Hello,
                        > > >
                        > > > I was waiting to do more interesting work to present to you.. but I see that news spreads fast on Internet :-))
                        > > >
                        > > > Ok, we have build this "Dodecacopter" to made sphericals but instead of other solutions that I have see, I was very interested on use the same high quality gear that I normally use... so we have designed it to have enough payload... all the frame is made with carbon fiber and also the landing gear from photoshipone... the fly is electronically controlled with a lot of sensors and we have developed also an automatic shoot system, so when the model is on place it stays alone and with only a command it made all the photos...
                        > > >
                        > > > we just start to use it and we have only made one pano, I used the D3 with the 16mm
                        > > >

                        > > > I hope to do more samples soon
                        > > >
                        > > > regards
                        > > >

                        > > > El 02/06/2010, a las 16:57, Michel Thoby escribi���:

                        > > > Ignacio Ferrando Margel���
                        > > >
                        > > > Abaco Digital
                        > > >
                        > > > http://www.abaco-digital.com

                        > > > --

                        Ignacio Ferrando Margel�

                        Abaco Digital

                        http://www.abaco-digital.com

                      • Hans
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 3 9:45 AM
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@...> wrote:

                          > Ignacio,
                          >
                          > on my 50 megabit connetion, I waited probably a minute (felt like more) for the 4MB pano to load. (I'm in europe.) And when it does load, the sky is totally posterized.

                          I do not see any specially large posterizing on my 27" iMac.
                          And loading takes 26 seconds on my 15 megabit.

                          Hans

                          > Maybe this is only a demo, but you might want to check some image / server settings.
                          >
                          > jeffrey
                          >
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hello Ignacio,
                          > >
                          > > To "use the same quality gear that you normally use" you said. Well, this first trial seems to show that you are on the right track.
                          > > As the D3 is one of the heaviest SLR and as the 16 mm needs so many shots (i.e. ~ 6 shots around), you have proved that the system is designed with large operational margin if it were used with less demanding gears.
                          > >
                          > > Thank you for the prompt response!
                          > >
                          > > Michel
                          > >
                          > > Le 3 juin 2010 � 11:46, Ignacio Ferrando Margel� a �crit :
                          > >

                          > > > Hello,
                          > > >
                          > > > I was waiting to do more interesting work to present to you.. but I see that news spreads fast on Internet :-))
                          > > >
                          > > > Ok, we have build this "Dodecacopter" to made sphericals but instead of other solutions that I have see, I was very interested on use the same high quality gear that I normally use... so we have designed it to have enough payload... all the frame is made with carbon fiber and also the landing gear from photoshipone... the fly is electronically controlled with a lot of sensors and we have developed also an automatic shoot system, so when the model is on place it stays alone and with only a command it made all the photos...
                          > > >
                          > > > we just start to use it and we have only made one pano, I used the D3 with the 16mm
                          > > >

                          > > > I hope to do more samples soon
                          > > >
                          > > > regards
                          > > >

                          > > > El 02/06/2010, a las 16:57, Michel Thoby escribi�:

                          > > > Ignacio Ferrando Margel�
                          > > >
                          > > > Abaco Digital
                          > > >
                          > > > http://www.abaco-digital.com

                          > > > --

                        • AYRTON
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 3 1:21 PM
                            Ignacio
                            CONGRATZS it is wonderfull.

                            and I'm happy we are gonna meet in person this year :-)

                            See you
                            best
                            AYRTON

                            2010/6/3 Ignacio Ferrando Margelí <fotografia@...>

                            > Hello,
                            >
                            > I was waiting to do more interesting work to present to you.. but I see
                            > that news spreads fast on Internet :-))
                            >
                            > Ok, we have build this "Dodecacopter" to made sphericals but instead of
                            > other solutions that I have see, I was very interested on use the same high
                            > quality gear that I normally use... so we have designed it to have enough
                            > payload... all the frame is made with carbon fiber and also the landing gear
                            > from photoshipone... the fly is electronically controlled with a lot of
                            > sensors and we have developed also an automatic shoot system, so when the
                            > model is on place it stays alone and with only a command it made all the
                            > photos...
                            >
                            > we just start to use it and we have only made one pano, I used the D3 with
                            > the 16mm
                            >

                            > I hope to do more samples soon
                            >
                            > regards
                            >

                            > El 02/06/2010, a las 16:57, Michel Thoby escribió:
                            >
                            > > I have read that this panorama:
                            > > http://www.abaco-digital.es/virtual.php?src=dodeka
                            > > was a "Primera fotografía esférica con dodecacoptero" and elsewhere that
                            > it was shot from an altitude of about 70 m from a RC helicopter under which
                            > a Nikon D3 + 10.5 combo was mounted.
                            > > I have learnt that the allowable payload of this 12--engine flying
                            > platform is possibly more than 3 kg: if true this figure is rather
                            > impressive.
                            > >
                            > > From video images one can see the "dodecaptero" on early flights:
                            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wp0c2znJQo
                            > > The way to shoot Panorama is shown near the end of the video. The fisheye
                            > lens seems to be unshaved and six shots may be needed.
                            > >
                            > > Would Ignacio Ferrando Margeli be kind to tell us more about this aerial
                            > panorama photographic means?
                            > >
                            > > Michel Thoby

                            > Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
                            >
                            > Abaco Digital
                            >
                            > http://www.abaco-digital.com

                            ------------
                            | A Y R |
                            | T O N |
                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 3 1:41 PM
                              1.9 mbps connection in Peru
                              27 seconds to load from start to stop.
                              No banding in the sky
                              You have some great equipment with a very nice result.
                              ... boys and their toys... :)

                              Trausti

                            • prague
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 4 4:14 AM
                                yes, 30 seconds now for me.

                                still FAR too long to wait, in my opinion, to be able to see something "nice". why not use piecewise loading/multires?

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "prague" <360cities@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Ignacio,
                                > >
                                > > on my 50 megabit connetion, I waited probably a minute (felt like more) for the 4MB pano to load. (I'm in europe.) And when it does load, the sky is totally posterized.
                                >

                                > I do not see any specially large posterizing on my 27" iMac.
                                > And loading takes 26 seconds on my 15 megabit.
                                >
                                > Hans
                                >

                                > > Maybe this is only a demo, but you might want to check some image / server settings.
                                > >
                                > > jeffrey
                                > >
                                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby <thobymichel@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hello Ignacio,
                                > > >
                                > > > To "use the same quality gear that you normally use" you said. Well, this first trial seems to show that you are on the right track.
                                > > > As the D3 is one of the heaviest SLR and as the 16 mm needs so many shots (i.e. ~ 6 shots around), you have proved that the system is designed with large operational margin if it were used with less demanding gears.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thank you for the prompt response!
                                > > >
                                > > > Michel
                                > > >
                                > > > Le 3 juin 2010 � 11:46, Ignacio Ferrando Margel� a �crit :

                              • Ignacio Ferrando Margelí
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 4 7:52 AM
                                  Jeffrey,

                                  I have ALL my work coded with FPP and until now I can't not use multires...

                                  regards

                                  El 04/06/2010, a las 13:14, prague escribi�:

                                  > yes, 30 seconds now for me.
                                  >
                                  > still FAR too long to wait, in my opinion, to be able to see something "nice". why not use piecewise loading/multires?
                                  >
                                  > Messages in this topic (14)
                                  > RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 1
                                  > Visit Your Group
                                  > --
                                  > Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.
                                  >

                                  > Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.
                                  >

                                  > Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.
                                  >

                                  > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use
                                  > .

                                  Ignacio Ferrando Margel�

                                  Abaco Digital

                                  http://www.abaco-digital.com

                                • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 4 8:52 AM
                                    On 3 Jun 2010 at 11:46, Ignacio Ferrando Margelí wrote:

                                    > Hello,
                                    >
                                    > I was waiting to do more interesting work to present to you.. but I see that news
                                    > spreads fast on Internet :-))

                                    Yes they do :)
                                    Looks very interesting!
                                    Would you share some info on how you made it?
                                    Type of motors/ESCs/props/gears(?) etc. Gyros and other controllers/micros?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 4 3:47 PM
                                      Correct. Not yet.