Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Lumix 8mm Fisheye, just 165 grams!

  • Robert C. Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:14 AM, robert wrote:

      > Yes, it would seem to be perfect system for a pole, too bad they
      > don't make a full frame "4/3" system since this fisheye is a 16mm
      > equivent and that means 6 around. Not quite as wonderful for a pole
      > system.

      The 4/3rds system is full frame since it's specs indicate a certain
      frame size. Since the frame size is a bit smaller than FF35 or APS-C
      To get coverage similar to an 8mm on either a FF35 or APS-C the lens
      needs to be 4-6mm.

      > Wonder how it might function if shaved and stuck on a Canon FF DSLR?

      Wouldn't work at all since the flange focal distance is really short.
      With micro 4/3 yo can use almost any lens on it due to the very short
      FFD and no mirror. Having such a short FFD and smaller frame is also
      how you can design very small lenses. Lenses for Leica range finders
      are 1/2 the size of Nikon/Canon lenses mainly due to the decreased FFD.

      > For those of you that have jumped into 4/3 how are the remote
      > control options?

      I have been looking into using either a GF-1 or GH-1 for a time lapse
      project and you can use almost any remote with the addition of some
      resistors. A small adapter cable would do the trick.

      > Regards,
      >
      > Robert

      Cheers
      Robert C. Fisher
      VR Photography / Cinematography
      bob@...
      http://www.rcfisher.com
      Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        On Jun 1, 2010, at 12:14 PM, robert wrote:

        > For those of you that have jumped into 4/3 how are the remote control options?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Robert

        I have an Olympus E-P2 (love it!) and it has the typical USB connector for a wired remote. I bought a wireless remote that has a receiver plugged into the USB and it does everything the wired one can do.

        The tiny micro 4/3 lenses are very nice to use. I have the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and it is just amazing; the kit 14-42 that came with the camera is good and very compact. I am having a whole lot of fun using old Olympus Pen-F lenses. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the build and image quality of those lenses. So far, I have the 38mm, 100mm, 150mm, and 250mm Pen-F lenses. The 100mm is only about the size of a Snickers candy bar. I barely stopped myself from buying the Pen-F 400mm that sold recently on ebay for $1500. My wife said she would kill me in my sleep if I bought it 8-) I don't ' think she has any idea how many of the Pen-F lenses I have, especially since I have two each of the 250mm and 100mm. I may have a problem; is there a support group for obsessive lens collectors? If there is, I bet Luca Vascon is a founding member 8-)

        BTW - I am going to be selling off all of my old Nikon and related pano gear; I will start a separate thread on that, however.

        John

        John Riley
        4Pi-VR Media Solutions
        http://4pi-vr.com