Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Lumix 8mm Fisheye, just 165 grams!

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      That lens and a GF1 come to less than 500g, and nice small dimensions as well.

      Ian

      On 1 Jun 2010, at 10:09, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

      > Yes, very tempting, indeed.
      > If there wasn't a price tag with over 800 EUR just for the lens.
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Comparing that to the 485 gram Zuiko 8mm... ... it is getting more and more
      >> interesting to try out the mirrorless systems.
      >>
      >> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:39 AM, jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>wrote:
      >>

      >>> http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/g_fisheye_8.html

    • robert
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        Yes, it would seem to be perfect system for a pole, too bad they don't make a full frame "4/3" system since this fisheye is a 16mm equivent and that means 6 around. Not quite as wonderful for a pole system.

        Wonder how it might function if shaved and stuck on a Canon FF DSLR?

        For those of you that have jumped into 4/3 how are the remote control options?

        Regards,

        Robert
      • Robert C. Fisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
          On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:14 AM, robert wrote:

          > Yes, it would seem to be perfect system for a pole, too bad they
          > don't make a full frame "4/3" system since this fisheye is a 16mm
          > equivent and that means 6 around. Not quite as wonderful for a pole
          > system.

          The 4/3rds system is full frame since it's specs indicate a certain
          frame size. Since the frame size is a bit smaller than FF35 or APS-C
          To get coverage similar to an 8mm on either a FF35 or APS-C the lens
          needs to be 4-6mm.

          > Wonder how it might function if shaved and stuck on a Canon FF DSLR?

          Wouldn't work at all since the flange focal distance is really short.
          With micro 4/3 yo can use almost any lens on it due to the very short
          FFD and no mirror. Having such a short FFD and smaller frame is also
          how you can design very small lenses. Lenses for Leica range finders
          are 1/2 the size of Nikon/Canon lenses mainly due to the decreased FFD.

          > For those of you that have jumped into 4/3 how are the remote
          > control options?

          I have been looking into using either a GF-1 or GH-1 for a time lapse
          project and you can use almost any remote with the addition of some
          resistors. A small adapter cable would do the trick.

          > Regards,
          >
          > Robert

          Cheers
          Robert C. Fisher
          VR Photography / Cinematography
          bob@...
          http://www.rcfisher.com
          Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
            On Jun 1, 2010, at 12:14 PM, robert wrote:

            > For those of you that have jumped into 4/3 how are the remote control options?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Robert

            I have an Olympus E-P2 (love it!) and it has the typical USB connector for a wired remote. I bought a wireless remote that has a receiver plugged into the USB and it does everything the wired one can do.

            The tiny micro 4/3 lenses are very nice to use. I have the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and it is just amazing; the kit 14-42 that came with the camera is good and very compact. I am having a whole lot of fun using old Olympus Pen-F lenses. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the build and image quality of those lenses. So far, I have the 38mm, 100mm, 150mm, and 250mm Pen-F lenses. The 100mm is only about the size of a Snickers candy bar. I barely stopped myself from buying the Pen-F 400mm that sold recently on ebay for $1500. My wife said she would kill me in my sleep if I bought it 8-) I don't ' think she has any idea how many of the Pen-F lenses I have, especially since I have two each of the 250mm and 100mm. I may have a problem; is there a support group for obsessive lens collectors? If there is, I bet Luca Vascon is a founding member 8-)

            BTW - I am going to be selling off all of my old Nikon and related pano gear; I will start a separate thread on that, however.

            John

            John Riley
            4Pi-VR Media Solutions
            http://4pi-vr.com