Surprising Peleng

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
      I fell for the Asahi Spotmatic, the first SLR camera I ever
      used, more years ago than I care to remember, and recently
      I fell for the little Pentax K-x, thinking I could use it
      to get some value out of the many M42-mount lenses I own,
      excellent glass, some of them, but worth only peanuts as
      trade-ins. One was the Peleng 8mm fisheye, my first circular
      fisheye. Before that I had used the Zenith full-frame
      fisheye.

      I've been truly astonished by the quality this lens gives
      me on the K-x. I've just finished a comparison between my
      usual kit, D300 plus Sigma 8mm and the K-x plus Peleng 8mm.

      In almost every respect that matters I preferred the Peleng
      image! It was sharper, clearer, with better colour and
      contrast.

      It did have much larger CA but this was easily cured by
      running the RAW files through Silkypix (I had to do the
      same with the Sigma files, using DX0). With the Sigma I
      might just have been able to do without the CA-removal
      stage, but CA was easily removed from Peleng images and
      there was no detectable CA problem with either in the
      final panoramas.

      The K-x gave me a slightly bigger panorama, 9,000 x 4,500
      rather than the 8,000 x 4,000 of the Nikon/Sigma combination.
      But it was the better quality that astonished me. I could
      hardly believe my eyes... It was particularly evident on
      zooming in with a full-screen display.

      Of course I might well have made some clumsy mistake that
      prevented the Sigma from giving its best, although I don't
      THINK so. I mean, it could have been slightly defocused,
      I suppose. Frankly, that's what it looks like...

      Of course, now that the Samyang is cheaper than the Peleng
      I suppose there is little room left for this camera on
      the panorama lover's shelf. Pity!

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2010
        Am 01.06.2010 09:42, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
        > I've been truly astonished by the quality this lens gives
        > me on the K-x. I've just finished a comparison between my
        > usual kit, D300 plus Sigma 8mm and the K-x plus Peleng 8mm.
        >
        > In almost every respect that matters I preferred the Peleng
        > image! It was sharper, clearer, with better colour and
        > contrast.

        The Peleng has a big drawback: It produces a strong flare if shooting
        against a light source. If the light is in the center the flare is all
        around the image circle making the outer parts of the image unusable. If
        it is off-center it's on the opposite side of the circle. An example can
        be seen here:
        http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6868/8mm35sfg4.jpg
        (from http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic13566_post152898.html )

        With sun in the image:
        http://www.panograf.at/objektiv-vergleich-peleng-sigma-8mm-fisheye.html

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2010
          On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:01:12 +0900, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

          > Am 01.06.2010 09:42, schrieb Roger D. Williams:

          >> I've been truly astonished by the quality this lens gives
          >> me on the K-x. I've just finished a comparison between my
          >> usual kit, D300 plus Sigma 8mm and the K-x plus Peleng 8mm.
          >>
          >> In almost every respect that matters I preferred the Peleng
          >> image! It was sharper, clearer, with better colour and
          >> contrast.
          >
          > The Peleng has a big drawback: It produces a strong flare if shooting
          > against a light source. If the light is in the center the flare is all
          > around the image circle making the outer parts of the image unusable. If
          > it is off-center it's on the opposite side of the circle. An example can
          > be seen here:
          > http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6868/8mm35sfg4.jpg
          > (from http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic13566_post152898.html )
          >
          > With sun in the image:
          > http://www.panograf.at/objektiv-vergleich-peleng-sigma-8mm-fisheye.html

          I shot 17 panoramas, one after another, all on the same sunny
          day, one of the few in the year when we in Japan have blue
          skies. I must say that I agree with you, Erik. Against a bright
          light (the sun, for instance!), flare can be a big problem.
          Off-center flare is less of a problem with reasonable overlap.
          The most trouble I have is with flare affecting the nadir,
          where cloning out the discolouration can be a pain. I don't
          often look at the viewfinder but I've resolved to do so more
          often in future, as flare is quite easily visible and can be
          minimised by moving into the shade. But sometimes the best
          spot to take the panorama is out there in the sun... and this
          is when the Peleng doesn't do so well.

          I do stand by my general assessment, though, and I know that
          you, Erik, have achieved splendid results with the Peleng.

          Oh, and I found that checking the PTgui "remove flare" option
          can sometimes help, although it does tend to intensify shadows
          too strongly for my taste.

          Roger W.