Re: [PanoToolsNG] Panoramas, HTML5, local storage & mobile devices - market research

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2010
      On 30 May 2010, at 17:36, "Tom! Striewisch" <tomptlist@...>
      wrote:

      > Ian Wood schrieb:
      >> Is there much interest in a commercial authoring/skinning tool for
      >> this kind of thing? Obviously it would be specific to viewing on
      >> Apple devices at this time.
      >>
      > Yes, there is, at least on my side of the screen. ;-)
      >
      > Tom!

      From the deathly silence I'd been wondering if it was worth doing
      even a proof of concept. ;-)

      Not that the subject line helps.

      To take a specific example and show how this could be useful, let's
      look at hotels. You've shot a series of panoramas (after persuading
      them that Google Hotelview won't be good enough). They can be added to
      the hotel's website as normal, but visitors with an iPad can visit a
      sub-site where they can browse nearly fullscreen with text overlays/
      panoramas/maps/fancy animations/videos etc.

      So far so normal.

      Now they see the 'save me' link and discover that they can bookmark
      the whole branded subsite onto their home screen where it will act
      like a native app. No net connection, it can be viewed on the plane on
      the way or kept as a keepsake of the trip etc.

      Ian
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2010
        Sometime around 30/5/10 (at 19:15 +0100) Ian Wood said:

        >From the deathly silence I'd been wondering if it was worth doing
        >even a proof of concept. ;-)

        Sorry about the silence from my end - I think it is (a) a superb
        idea, and (b) inevitable that *someone* will do this at some point.
        Sooner rather than later, I hope.

        It will rely on browsers being up to the job, but it does seem that
        this is the way things are going.