Re: D700 vs. 5DMkII dilemma

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 8:41 AM
      Andrey, my friend, the church pano is really, really outstaning and I completely understand your dilemma. Nonetheless the only advice I can give you at the moment is to try to get your hands on a Sony and make your own tests before you make a final decision. You should also follow Ayrtons advice and try the Tokina 10-17 once you are testing anyway.

      I wish you rather few sleepless nights and keep us informed.

      Jürgen

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "1drey" <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

      > Recently I've shot a series of panoramas with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 (shaved) combo, given to me by Oleg Gaponyuk (I'm sure most of you have seen his great air pano at http://airpano.ru).
      >
      > Have to say that it was a great difference between using above combo and my usual D300+Sigma 8/Nikkor 10,5 - I've spent much less time stitching and post-processing. And it was much easier to catch movement and saturate panos with people! i realized it while stitching a couple of panoramas from that series shot with D300+Sigma 8.
      > The quality of panoramas produced with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 was great - sharp 9000x4500 equirects looks great full screen and even allows some zoom-in.
      >
      > Here is a link to the final tour: http://www.airpano.ru/files/tverskoy_bulvar/tverskoy_r.html
      >
      > Now I seriously consider the purchase of 5DMkII :)
      > The only reason why I didn't buy it - I am a Nikon guy and all my gear is from Nikon, including some fast zoom lenses + being professional photographer I shoot not only panoramas. Buying all necessary stuff will require another 4-5 grands in addition to minimal $3000 which will cost me the body and Sigma 10 (even this sum is noticeable for my budget).
      >
      > So my thoughts came to D700, naturally. Same $3000, but it will be compatible with my current setup!
      >
      > Now I am trying to persuade myself that Sigma 10 in fact doesn't use full resolution of 5DMkII's 21Mpx sensor and that panoramas produced by D700+Sigma 10 will be almost equal in the terms of amount of information to ones shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10.
      > Please, please tell me that it is true!
      >
      > Andrey
      >
      > PS. another pano shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 - http://pano.1drey.com/various/xxc06.html - of course, I could shoot it with D300+Sigma 8, but the resolution would be lower + it would require more time for post processing.

    • 1drey
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 11:39 PM
        Jürgen, thank you for praise and for a word of wisdom!

        Sleepless nights! exactly :-D

        Yes, I plan to hav a close look at the Tokina - still leaning to 5DMkII (over Sony - because of better developed Canon's 'system')

        BTW, here is a fesh pano from 5DMkII+Sigma10: http://pano.1drey.com/various/sexton02.html

        Cheers,
        Andrey

        > Andrey, my friend, the church pano is really, really outstaning and I completely understand your dilemma. Nonetheless the only advice I can give you at the moment is to try to get your hands on a Sony and make your own tests before you make a final decision. You should also follow Ayrtons advice and try the Tokina 10-17 once you are testing anyway.
        >
        > I wish you rather few sleepless nights and keep us informed.
        >
        > Jürgen

      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2010
          On 5-31-2010 11:39 PM, 1drey's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
          typed ...:
          > Jürgen, thank you for praise and for a word of wisdom!
          >
          > Sleepless nights! exactly :-D
          >
          > Yes, I plan to hav a close look at the Tokina - still leaning to
          > 5DMkII (over Sony - because of better developed Canon's 'system')

          You should consider using the 5DII and a Tokina 10-17mm zoomed to 12mm
          to fill the sensor top to bottom.

          > BTW, here is a fesh pano from 5DMkII+Sigma10:
          > http://pano.1drey.com/various/sexton02.html

          *Nice* low light-level work but there's something wrong with the pano.
          I turned the volume up to 11 and I still can't hear anything. =8^)

          > Cheers,
          > Andrey
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Andrey, my friend, the church pano is really, really outstaning and I
          >> completely understand your dilemma. Nonetheless the only advice I can
          >> give you at the moment is to try to get your hands on a Sony and make
          >> your own tests before you make a final decision. You should also
          >> follow Ayrtons advice and try the Tokina 10-17 once you are testing
          >> anyway.
          >>
          >> I wish you rather few sleepless nights and keep us informed.
          >>
          >> Jürgen

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large