D700 vs. 5DMkII dilemma

  • 1drey
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28 9:48 PM
      Recently I've shot a series of panoramas with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 (shaved) combo, given to me by Oleg Gaponyuk (I'm sure most of you have seen his great air pano at http://airpano.ru).

      Have to say that it was a great difference between using above combo and my usual D300+Sigma 8/Nikkor 10,5 - I've spent much less time stitching and post-processing. And it was much easier to catch movement and saturate panos with people! i realized it while stitching a couple of panoramas from that series shot with D300+Sigma 8.
      The quality of panoramas produced with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 was great - sharp 9000x4500 equirects looks great full screen and even allows some zoom-in.

      Here is a link to the final tour: http://www.airpano.ru/files/tverskoy_bulvar/tverskoy_r.html

      Now I seriously consider the purchase of 5DMkII :)
      The only reason why I didn't buy it - I am a Nikon guy and all my gear is from Nikon, including some fast zoom lenses + being professional photographer I shoot not only panoramas. Buying all necessary stuff will require another 4-5 grands in addition to minimal $3000 which will cost me the body and Sigma 10 (even this sum is noticeable for my budget).

      So my thoughts came to D700, naturally. Same $3000, but it will be compatible with my current setup!

      Now I am trying to persuade myself that Sigma 10 in fact doesn't use full resolution of 5DMkII's 21Mpx sensor and that panoramas produced by D700+Sigma 10 will be almost equal in the terms of amount of information to ones shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10.
      Please, please tell me that it is true!

      Andrey

      PS. another pano shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 - http://pano.1drey.com/various/xxc06.html - of course, I could shoot it with D300+Sigma 8, but the resolution would be lower + it would require more time for post processing.
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30 8:41 AM
        Andrey, my friend, the church pano is really, really outstaning and I completely understand your dilemma. Nonetheless the only advice I can give you at the moment is to try to get your hands on a Sony and make your own tests before you make a final decision. You should also follow Ayrtons advice and try the Tokina 10-17 once you are testing anyway.

        I wish you rather few sleepless nights and keep us informed.

        Jürgen

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31 11:39 PM
          Jürgen, thank you for praise and for a word of wisdom!

          Sleepless nights! exactly :-D

          Yes, I plan to hav a close look at the Tokina - still leaning to 5DMkII (over Sony - because of better developed Canon's 'system')

          BTW, here is a fesh pano from 5DMkII+Sigma10: http://pano.1drey.com/various/sexton02.html

          Cheers,
          Andrey

          > Andrey, my friend, the church pano is really, really outstaning and I completely understand your dilemma. Nonetheless the only advice I can give you at the moment is to try to get your hands on a Sony and make your own tests before you make a final decision. You should also follow Ayrtons advice and try the Tokina 10-17 once you are testing anyway.
          >
          > I wish you rather few sleepless nights and keep us informed.
          >
          > Jürgen

        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2010
            On 5-31-2010 11:39 PM, 1drey's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
            typed ...:
            > Jürgen, thank you for praise and for a word of wisdom!
            >
            > Sleepless nights! exactly :-D
            >
            > Yes, I plan to hav a close look at the Tokina - still leaning to
            > 5DMkII (over Sony - because of better developed Canon's 'system')

            You should consider using the 5DII and a Tokina 10-17mm zoomed to 12mm
            to fill the sensor top to bottom.

            > BTW, here is a fesh pano from 5DMkII+Sigma10:
            > http://pano.1drey.com/various/sexton02.html

            *Nice* low light-level work but there's something wrong with the pano.
            I turned the volume up to 11 and I still can't hear anything. =8^)

            > Cheers,
            > Andrey
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Andrey, my friend, the church pano is really, really outstaning and I
            >> completely understand your dilemma. Nonetheless the only advice I can
            >> give you at the moment is to try to get your hands on a Sony and make
            >> your own tests before you make a final decision. You should also
            >> follow Ayrtons advice and try the Tokina 10-17 once you are testing
            >> anyway.
            >>
            >> I wish you rather few sleepless nights and keep us informed.
            >>
            >> Jürgen

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large