Re: Panorama Resolution Limits

  • hd_de_2000
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2010

      > Thanks for that Helmut. I have caught the same question once upon a time,
      > but since I am not into math at all, I simply accepted there being no limit
      > at all.
      >
      > My thinking went: If one uses the Hubble telescope to zoom in as far as it
      > can, then shoot a 360 pano, the result would surely be more than the 512
      > meters. And for an even bigger pano, one could use the coming James Webb
      > telescope for the same, and get many times bigger pano as a result.
      >
      > Am I completely off track in that thinking? If I am, then what is it I
      > missed?

      If you're not concerend with DOF, then the only parameter determining resolution is the physical aperture size, ~2.4m for the Hubble telescope. This would be a panorama 27 million pixel wide, and the hyperfocal distance 10568km. From these results you can conclude that we have miserable wether right now preventing me from riding my bike.

      Helmut Dersch
    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2010
        :) ouch! 27 million pixels ... that's a panorama 72 kilometers wide and 36
        km high.... MOAP (Mother Of All Panoramas), miniaturizing Mt. Everest,
        which is "only" a little under 9 km's above sea level where highest.

        Many thanks for the numbers, quite interesting to think about.

        Trausti

        On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:23 AM, hd_de_2000 <der@...> wrote:

        > If you're not concerend with DOF, then the only parameter determining
        > resolution is the physical aperture size, ~2.4m for the Hubble telescope.
        > This would be a panorama 27 million pixel wide, and the hyperfocal distance
        > 10568km. From these results you can conclude that we have miserable wether
        > right now preventing me from riding my bike.
        >
        > Helmut Dersch

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 8 , May 30, 2010
          >:) ouch! 27 million pixels ... that's a panorama 72 kilometers wide

          There's no hard-wired link between pixel count and physical size. At
          300ppi (approx 118 pixels/cm) you'd be looking at a panorama of only
          1.42 miles or 2.28 km wide...

          ...heh. Did I really say "only"?

        • prague
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2010
            hey groovy, that's the width of this pano - 192000 pixels :-)

            http://www.360cities.net/prague-18-gigapixels

            it seems that any larger gigapixels out there have been refocused to shoot each row (which i did not do, shooting this)