Re: Canon 5DMkII vs Nikon D700

  • uricogan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2010

      > here are a couple of D700/10.5mm 5dMkII/10.5mm panos:
      > D700:
      > http://www.mediavr.com/bondixmas.htm

      That page refuses to display on my Firefox 3.6.3, Mac OS 10.5.8, QT version 7.6.6 plugin installed and active. It displays correctly on Safari and Opera

      > 5dMkII
      > http://www.mediavr.com/defqonsydney2009.htm
      > (Nikkor 10.5)
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2010
        Andrey
        you must use
        D700 plus the Tokina 10-17mm shaved
        @
        12mm

        nothing beats it !
        :-)

        best
        AYRTON

        On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 6:51 AM, 1drey <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

        > Recently I've shot a series of panoramas with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 (shaved)
        > combo, given to me by Oleg Gaponyuk (I'm sure most of you have seen his
        > great air pano at http://airpano.ru).
        >
        > Have to say that it was a great difference between using above combo and my
        > usual D300+Sigma 8/Nikkor 10,5 - I've spent much less time stitching and
        > post-processing. And it was much easier to catch movement and saturate panos
        > with people! i realized it while stitching a couple of panoramas from that
        > series shot with D300+Sigma 8.
        > The quality of panoramas produced with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 was great - sharp
        > 9000x4500 equirects looks great full screen and even allows some zoom-in.
        >
        > Here is a link to the final tour:
        > http://www.airpano.ru/files/tverskoy_bulvar/tverskoy_r.html
        >
        > Now I seriously consider the purchase of 5DMkII :)
        > The only reason why I didn't buy it - I am a Nikon guy and all my gear is
        > from Nikon, including some fast zoom lenses + being professional
        > photographer I shoot not only panoramas. Buying all necessary stuff will
        > require another 4-5 grands in addition to minimal $3000 which will cost me
        > the body and Sigma 10 (even this sum is noticeable for my budget).
        >
        > So my thoughts came to D700, naturally. Same $3000, but it will be
        > compatible with my current setup!
        >
        > Now I am trying to persuade myself that Sigma 10 in fact doesn't use full
        > resolution of 5DMkII's 21Mpx sensor and that panoramas produced by
        > D700+Sigma 10 will be almost equal in the terms of amount of information to
        > ones shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10.
        > Please, please tell me that it is true!
        >
        > Andrey
        >
        > PS. another pano shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 -
        > http://pano.1drey.com/various/xxc06.html - of course, I could shoot it
        > with D300+Sigma 8, but the resolution would be lower + it would require more
        > time for post processing.

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2010

          > Andrey
          > you must use
          > D700 plus the Tokina 10-17mm shaved
          > @
          > 12mm
          >
          > nothing beats it !
          > :-)

          Yes I forgot about the resolution gain you would get by using a zoom fisheye and zooming it til it fills the vertical dimension of the sensor.
          I like the extra coverage a shaved 10.5mm Nikkor gives over other shaved fisheyes but that has a cost in resolution too on full frame camera. Still I am happy with the 5DMkII over the D700 for that lens. Also 5dMkII has better video, a wide range of 3drd party accessories for video making, good sync possibilities for stereo stills and panoramas.

          Peter M
        • 1drey
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2010
            Ayrton,

            Could you share a set of sample images from D700+Tokina at 12mm?

            Yes, this combo can be great in the terms of shooting in low light conditions, but it requires 4 around - exactly as my D300+Sigma 8/3,5 combo.

            Cheers,
            Andrey