Re: Canon 5DMkII vs Nikon D700

  • 1drey
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2010

      > here are a couple of D700/10.5mm 5dMkII/10.5mm panos:
      > D700:
      > http://www.mediavr.com/bondixmas.htm
      > 5dMkII
      > http://www.mediavr.com/defqonsydney2009.htm
      > (Nikkor 10.5)
      > which might give you some ideas of color palette differences of the cameras. Basically I think the D700 had better low light and nicer color but the 5dmkII definitely looks sharper at normal ISOs. I hated sharp noise of the shutter release of the D700. I like the LCD screen on the Canon better.
      >
      > Peter M

      Thank you, Peter!

      Yes, the answer seems obvious now - if we look at the resolution, 5DMkII wins hands down :(

      BTW, I also liked very much how The function of Live View is realized in 5DMkII! Great for focus critical panoramas like ones I shoot inside the cars.

      But the controls layout... that's where Nikon clearly wins.

      Andrey
    • uricogan
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2010

        > here are a couple of D700/10.5mm 5dMkII/10.5mm panos:
        > D700:
        > http://www.mediavr.com/bondixmas.htm

        That page refuses to display on my Firefox 3.6.3, Mac OS 10.5.8, QT version 7.6.6 plugin installed and active. It displays correctly on Safari and Opera

        > 5dMkII
        > http://www.mediavr.com/defqonsydney2009.htm
        > (Nikkor 10.5)
      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2010
          Andrey
          you must use
          D700 plus the Tokina 10-17mm shaved
          @
          12mm

          nothing beats it !
          :-)

          best
          AYRTON

          On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 6:51 AM, 1drey <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

          > Recently I've shot a series of panoramas with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 (shaved)
          > combo, given to me by Oleg Gaponyuk (I'm sure most of you have seen his
          > great air pano at http://airpano.ru).
          >
          > Have to say that it was a great difference between using above combo and my
          > usual D300+Sigma 8/Nikkor 10,5 - I've spent much less time stitching and
          > post-processing. And it was much easier to catch movement and saturate panos
          > with people! i realized it while stitching a couple of panoramas from that
          > series shot with D300+Sigma 8.
          > The quality of panoramas produced with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 was great - sharp
          > 9000x4500 equirects looks great full screen and even allows some zoom-in.
          >
          > Here is a link to the final tour:
          > http://www.airpano.ru/files/tverskoy_bulvar/tverskoy_r.html
          >
          > Now I seriously consider the purchase of 5DMkII :)
          > The only reason why I didn't buy it - I am a Nikon guy and all my gear is
          > from Nikon, including some fast zoom lenses + being professional
          > photographer I shoot not only panoramas. Buying all necessary stuff will
          > require another 4-5 grands in addition to minimal $3000 which will cost me
          > the body and Sigma 10 (even this sum is noticeable for my budget).
          >
          > So my thoughts came to D700, naturally. Same $3000, but it will be
          > compatible with my current setup!
          >
          > Now I am trying to persuade myself that Sigma 10 in fact doesn't use full
          > resolution of 5DMkII's 21Mpx sensor and that panoramas produced by
          > D700+Sigma 10 will be almost equal in the terms of amount of information to
          > ones shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10.
          > Please, please tell me that it is true!
          >
          > Andrey
          >
          > PS. another pano shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 -
          > http://pano.1drey.com/various/xxc06.html - of course, I could shoot it
          > with D300+Sigma 8, but the resolution would be lower + it would require more
          > time for post processing.

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2010

            > Andrey
            > you must use
            > D700 plus the Tokina 10-17mm shaved
            > @
            > 12mm
            >
            > nothing beats it !
            > :-)

            Yes I forgot about the resolution gain you would get by using a zoom fisheye and zooming it til it fills the vertical dimension of the sensor.
            I like the extra coverage a shaved 10.5mm Nikkor gives over other shaved fisheyes but that has a cost in resolution too on full frame camera. Still I am happy with the 5DMkII over the D700 for that lens. Also 5dMkII has better video, a wide range of 3drd party accessories for video making, good sync possibilities for stereo stills and panoramas.

            Peter M
          • 1drey
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2010
              Ayrton,

              Could you share a set of sample images from D700+Tokina at 12mm?

              Yes, this combo can be great in the terms of shooting in low light conditions, but it requires 4 around - exactly as my D300+Sigma 8/3,5 combo.

              Cheers,
              Andrey