Panoramas, HTML5, local storage & mobile devices - market research

  • Ian Wood
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2010
      I've been exploring HTML5 webapps recently, and wondering about the
      possibilities for panoramas/tours.

      If you've not been following this stuff, web pages can be set up so
      that Webkit-based browsers such as Mobile Safari on Apple's devices
      and Chrome on Android can bookmark the page in a special way -
      downloading the HTML/media/CSS/JS files and storing them locally so
      that the pages/webapp can be launched and viewed offline without a net
      connection.

      Combine this with 3D CSS panoramas on Apple devices and hopefully
      Canvas-based equivalents on Chrome at some stage and a website could
      offer the end user something like a 'download this pano to your
      device' link. Even if you don't want end users to store panos locally,
      it could be useful for our own portfolio use, especially with a way to
      browse through multiple panoramas. As HTML/CSS it would be
      configurable to use your own branding rather than using PangeaVR or
      another third-party pano viewer.

      I assume that the KRPano license model wouldn't be able to work with
      these kind of local files, so I'd need to expand the 360Cities viewer
      to get it working on iPads and a bit more fully-featured.

      Is there much interest in a commercial authoring/skinning tool for
      this kind of thing? Obviously it would be specific to viewing on Apple
      devices at this time.

      Ian

      P.S. I'll have a go at preparing a proof-of-concept in time for the
      PanoTools meeting in August.
    • Tom! Striewisch
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2010
        Ian Wood schrieb:
        > Is there much interest in a commercial authoring/skinning tool for
        > this kind of thing? Obviously it would be specific to viewing on
        > Apple devices at this time.

        Yes, there is, at least on my side of the screen. ;-)

        Tom!
        ww.langebilder.de
      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2010
          On 30 May 2010, at 17:36, "Tom! Striewisch" <tomptlist@...>
          wrote:

          > Ian Wood schrieb:
          >> Is there much interest in a commercial authoring/skinning tool for
          >> this kind of thing? Obviously it would be specific to viewing on
          >> Apple devices at this time.
          >>
          > Yes, there is, at least on my side of the screen. ;-)
          >
          > Tom!

          From the deathly silence I'd been wondering if it was worth doing
          even a proof of concept. ;-)

          Not that the subject line helps.

          To take a specific example and show how this could be useful, let's
          look at hotels. You've shot a series of panoramas (after persuading
          them that Google Hotelview won't be good enough). They can be added to
          the hotel's website as normal, but visitors with an iPad can visit a
          sub-site where they can browse nearly fullscreen with text overlays/
          panoramas/maps/fancy animations/videos etc.

          So far so normal.

          Now they see the 'save me' link and discover that they can bookmark
          the whole branded subsite onto their home screen where it will act
          like a native app. No net connection, it can be viewed on the plane on
          the way or kept as a keepsake of the trip etc.

          Ian
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2010
            Sometime around 30/5/10 (at 19:15 +0100) Ian Wood said:

            >From the deathly silence I'd been wondering if it was worth doing
            >even a proof of concept. ;-)

            Sorry about the silence from my end - I think it is (a) a superb
            idea, and (b) inevitable that *someone* will do this at some point.
            Sooner rather than later, I hope.

            It will rely on browsers being up to the job, but it does seem that
            this is the way things are going.