Canon 5DMkII vs Nikon D700

  • 1drey
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2010
      Recently I've shot a series of panoramas with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 (shaved) combo, given to me by Oleg Gaponyuk (I'm sure most of you have seen his great air pano at http://airpano.ru).

      Have to say that it was a great difference between using above combo and my usual D300+Sigma 8/Nikkor 10,5 - I've spent much less time stitching and post-processing. And it was much easier to catch movement and saturate panos with people! i realized it while stitching a couple of panoramas from that series shot with D300+Sigma 8.
      The quality of panoramas produced with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 was great - sharp 9000x4500 equirects looks great full screen and even allows some zoom-in.

      Here is a link to the final tour: http://www.airpano.ru/files/tverskoy_bulvar/tverskoy_r.html

      Now I seriously consider the purchase of 5DMkII :)
      The only reason why I didn't buy it - I am a Nikon guy and all my gear is from Nikon, including some fast zoom lenses + being professional photographer I shoot not only panoramas. Buying all necessary stuff will require another 4-5 grands in addition to minimal $3000 which will cost me the body and Sigma 10 (even this sum is noticeable for my budget).

      So my thoughts came to D700, naturally. Same $3000, but it will be compatible with my current setup!

      Now I am trying to persuade myself that Sigma 10 in fact doesn't use full resolution of 5DMkII's 21Mpx sensor and that panoramas produced by D700+Sigma 10 will be almost equal in the terms of amount of information to ones shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10.
      Please, please tell me that it is true!

      Andrey

      PS. another pano shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 - http://pano.1drey.com/various/xxc06.html - of course, I could shoot it with D300+Sigma 8, but the resolution would be lower + it would require more time for post processing.
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2010
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "1drey" <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

        > Recently I've shot a series of panoramas with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 (shaved) combo, given to me by Oleg Gaponyuk (I'm sure most of you have seen his great air pano at http://airpano.ru).
        >
        > Have to say that it was a great difference between using above combo and my usual D300+Sigma 8/Nikkor 10,5 - I've spent much less time stitching and post-processing. And it was much easier to catch movement and saturate panos with people! i realized it while stitching a couple of panoramas from that series shot with D300+Sigma 8.
        > The quality of panoramas produced with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 was great - sharp 9000x4500 equirects looks great full screen and even allows some zoom-in.
        >
        > Here is a link to the final tour: http://www.airpano.ru/files/tverskoy_bulvar/tverskoy_r.html
        >
        > Now I seriously consider the purchase of 5DMkII :)
        > The only reason why I didn't buy it - I am a Nikon guy and all my gear is from Nikon, including some fast zoom lenses + being professional photographer I shoot not only panoramas. Buying all necessary stuff will require another 4-5 grands in addition to minimal $3000 which will cost me the body and Sigma 10 (even this sum is noticeable for my budget).
        >
        > So my thoughts came to D700, naturally. Same $3000, but it will be compatible with my current setup!
        >
        > Now I am trying to persuade myself that Sigma 10 in fact doesn't use full resolution of 5DMkII's 21Mpx sensor and that panoramas produced by D700+Sigma 10 will be almost equal in the terms of amount of information to ones shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10.
        > Please, please tell me that it is true!
        >
        > Andrey
        >
        > PS. another pano shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 - http://pano.1drey.com/various/xxc06.html - of course, I could shoot it with D300+Sigma 8, but the resolution would be lower + it would require more time for post processing.

        here are a couple of D700/10.5mm 5dMkII/10.5mm panos:
        D700:
        http://www.mediavr.com/bondixmas.htm
        5dMkII
        http://www.mediavr.com/defqonsydney2009.htm
        (Nikkor 10.5)
        which might give you some ideas of color palette differences of the cameras. Basically I think the D700 had better low light and nicer color but the 5dmkII definitely looks sharper at normal ISOs. I hated sharp noise of the shutter release of the D700. I like the LCD screen on the Canon better.

        Peter M
      • 1drey
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2010

          > here are a couple of D700/10.5mm 5dMkII/10.5mm panos:
          > D700:
          > http://www.mediavr.com/bondixmas.htm
          > 5dMkII
          > http://www.mediavr.com/defqonsydney2009.htm
          > (Nikkor 10.5)
          > which might give you some ideas of color palette differences of the cameras. Basically I think the D700 had better low light and nicer color but the 5dmkII definitely looks sharper at normal ISOs. I hated sharp noise of the shutter release of the D700. I like the LCD screen on the Canon better.
          >
          > Peter M

          Thank you, Peter!

          Yes, the answer seems obvious now - if we look at the resolution, 5DMkII wins hands down :(

          BTW, I also liked very much how The function of Live View is realized in 5DMkII! Great for focus critical panoramas like ones I shoot inside the cars.

          But the controls layout... that's where Nikon clearly wins.

          Andrey
        • uricogan
          Message 4 of 7 , May 29, 2010

            > here are a couple of D700/10.5mm 5dMkII/10.5mm panos:
            > D700:
            > http://www.mediavr.com/bondixmas.htm

            That page refuses to display on my Firefox 3.6.3, Mac OS 10.5.8, QT version 7.6.6 plugin installed and active. It displays correctly on Safari and Opera

            > 5dMkII
            > http://www.mediavr.com/defqonsydney2009.htm
            > (Nikkor 10.5)
          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 7 , May 29, 2010
              Andrey
              you must use
              D700 plus the Tokina 10-17mm shaved
              @
              12mm

              nothing beats it !
              :-)

              best
              AYRTON

              On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 6:51 AM, 1drey <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

              > Recently I've shot a series of panoramas with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 (shaved)
              > combo, given to me by Oleg Gaponyuk (I'm sure most of you have seen his
              > great air pano at http://airpano.ru).
              >
              > Have to say that it was a great difference between using above combo and my
              > usual D300+Sigma 8/Nikkor 10,5 - I've spent much less time stitching and
              > post-processing. And it was much easier to catch movement and saturate panos
              > with people! i realized it while stitching a couple of panoramas from that
              > series shot with D300+Sigma 8.
              > The quality of panoramas produced with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 was great - sharp
              > 9000x4500 equirects looks great full screen and even allows some zoom-in.
              >
              > Here is a link to the final tour:
              > http://www.airpano.ru/files/tverskoy_bulvar/tverskoy_r.html
              >
              > Now I seriously consider the purchase of 5DMkII :)
              > The only reason why I didn't buy it - I am a Nikon guy and all my gear is
              > from Nikon, including some fast zoom lenses + being professional
              > photographer I shoot not only panoramas. Buying all necessary stuff will
              > require another 4-5 grands in addition to minimal $3000 which will cost me
              > the body and Sigma 10 (even this sum is noticeable for my budget).
              >
              > So my thoughts came to D700, naturally. Same $3000, but it will be
              > compatible with my current setup!
              >
              > Now I am trying to persuade myself that Sigma 10 in fact doesn't use full
              > resolution of 5DMkII's 21Mpx sensor and that panoramas produced by
              > D700+Sigma 10 will be almost equal in the terms of amount of information to
              > ones shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10.
              > Please, please tell me that it is true!
              >
              > Andrey
              >
              > PS. another pano shot with 5DMkII+Sigma 10 -
              > http://pano.1drey.com/various/xxc06.html - of course, I could shoot it
              > with D300+Sigma 8, but the resolution would be lower + it would require more
              > time for post processing.

              ------------
              | A Y R |
              | T O N |
            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 7 , May 29, 2010

                > Andrey
                > you must use
                > D700 plus the Tokina 10-17mm shaved
                > @
                > 12mm
                >
                > nothing beats it !
                > :-)

                Yes I forgot about the resolution gain you would get by using a zoom fisheye and zooming it til it fills the vertical dimension of the sensor.
                I like the extra coverage a shaved 10.5mm Nikkor gives over other shaved fisheyes but that has a cost in resolution too on full frame camera. Still I am happy with the 5DMkII over the D700 for that lens. Also 5dMkII has better video, a wide range of 3drd party accessories for video making, good sync possibilities for stereo stills and panoramas.

                Peter M
              • 1drey
                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2010
                  Ayrton,

                  Could you share a set of sample images from D700+Tokina at 12mm?

                  Yes, this combo can be great in the terms of shooting in low light conditions, but it requires 4 around - exactly as my D300+Sigma 8/3,5 combo.

                  Cheers,
                  Andrey