OmniGlobe projector

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2010
      Don't know if it's ever come up on the list before, but I saw several of
      these at a museum conference this week and while their resolution wasn't as
      good as I would have liked, they looked like they could be quite handy for a
      panoramic exhibition too:

      http://www.arcscience.com/

      Basically a globe with an internal projector, giving you a spherical surface
      on which to project... most of the examples were using data overlaid on an
      image of the earth - weather or population data, for instance - and were
      quite effective.

      -R

    • michael crane
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2010
        anybody from munich ?
        in the science museum there is an example you stand in front of a little
        set and you see yourself there in the minature stage. How do they do that
        ??
      • Roger Howard
        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2010
          It was a meeting of the American Association of Museums, but this years
          theme was "Museums Without Borders" and there were a large number of
          attendees from institutions from outside the US, including a number of
          presenters speaking in Spanish and Chinese (with realtime translation).
          There was a focus on reducing the obsession with new technology except as a
          means to an end - museums, like most of us, have a tendency to get impressed
          with the latest "shiny object" and spend lots of their limited funds on
          dead-end tech-driven projects... some of the most refressing sessions were
          about how to better focus on the objectives/mission of an installation, and
          then fit technology to the problem (or, in many cases, avoid it entirely)
          rather than someone saying "hey, let's use iPads - that'd be cool! Now...
          what can we do with them?".

          The OmniGlobe projectors were on display by a few science museums, mainly,
          as a means to display geographic data in a natural format.

          As for the display in Munich, haven't seen it but sounds like a
          straightforward AR (augmented reality) application. I've seen great examples
          of this technology, but also many lame ones (Denver Art Museum talked about
          their use of AR which, after installation, it became obvious did not do
          anything to enhance the understanding of art, but rather became a fun toy
          for kids to play with and avoid the art).

        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2010
            Roger Howard wrote:
            > .....it became obvious did not do
            > anything to enhance the understanding of art, but rather became a fun toy
            > for kids to play with and avoid the art)......

            Hello Roger,

            Some time ago I had a PC tablet from Aldo Hoeben in my hands, on the display
            was a spherical pano.
            When I moved the tablet around the pano was also moving in sync.
            The combination of the pano content, the hardware and the technology is art
            and moving the tablet in all directions, from close to the floor to high
            above me with stretched arms was really fun to do so that is why I like the
            combination of art and fun a lot.
            For me there is absolutely no need to understand the art, it is all about
            what art is doing for/with/in me.

            Some time ago I made a series of panos for a nature reserve parc, the panos
            where displayed on touch screen monitors in an exhibition to inform the
            visitors about the parc.
            Instead of exploring the scenes a large group of young school children
            played with the touch sceens and explored all the possibilities of the
            screens, they didn't care about the panos and all they did was playing.

            I really loved it to see there enthusiasm and I was glad to see how they mis
            used the intentional purpose of the screens and the panos because I knew
            that those kids where exploring the world in their own way.

            Wim
          • michael crane
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2010
              On Thu, May 27, 2010 9:31 pm, Roger Howard wrote:

              > As for the display in Munich, haven't seen it but sounds like a
              > straightforward AR (augmented reality) application.
              The thing I saw was some years ago and done with mirrors. I have never
              figured out how it is done.
              you are stood on a little balustrade and look into a scene and there you
              are tiny in the duplicate balustrade in front of you.
            • Roger Howard
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
                On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

                > For me there is absolutely no need to understand the art, it is all about
                > what art is doing for/with/in me.

                By this I was referring to art museums, where there mission is, afterall, to
                educate about art - where technology is used for its own sake in this
                context (like in schools) it's a failure, even if it is novel and fun for
                the user.

                -R