You NEVER have to Blur Faces - was Re: Confused... hm.. Am I?

  • prague
    Message 1 of 19 , May 27 6:27 AM
      Can I solve this definitely for once and for all if it's not clear to anyone?

      Not that I'm privy to any information that you're not. But since this is my job I feel that I should be sure to understand it.

      Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong about any of these points.

      -Google blurs ALL the faces in streetview for 2 main reasons I guess: 1) it's good PR. 2) it's easier to use the same workflow for all images. It's good, for them, to show the public that they respect the idea that some people want privacy even though they are completely able to publish all these photos without blurring anything. Except in a couple of countries which are particularly paranoid - Germany (no offense guys), maybe France, and Switzerland (where there is still no streetview online, they have some very very strict privacy laws WRT photography in public, i guess) Anyway I understand and agree with google's position - streetview isn't artistic, it is a navigation tool, and people are in this case a distraction more than anything, and eliminating any discusion about it regardless of what the local law might be, is a win for them. ("we" make a different type of image, this is clear)

      -As Hans pointed out once this has had the VERY unpleasant collateral damage of making some people out there think that it is now the law that anytime you snap a picture in public that you have to blur the faces. this is not the case.

      -Laws for commercial photography apply - you can't shoot portraits of strangers in public and sell these photos which contain *only* a face. That's not allowed. If the photo is not for sale but rather is journalism (this definition i'm not quite entirely clear on) then it's ok. panoramas by their very nature almost never contain people as the sole or primary subject matter.

      -of course if someone asks it pays to be courteous and respect people's wishes (although to be clear there's no law about this either in most places)

      I don't really feel like starting a long discussion on this here, it has been discussed before.

      So, don't blur the princess, don't blur the license plates, don't blur anything. This is the world, this is photography, and in the world exist many photos and license plates. so be it.