PangeaVR for iPad is now available!

  • Brian Greenstone
    Message 1 of 19 , May 26, 2010
      Hi all! PangeaVR for the iPad is finally available on the app store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/pangeavr-hd/id373454824?mt=8

      I'm really happy with the way it came out, and I hope everyone likes it. I've already submitted a 1.0.1 update that fixes some bugs, but if you find anything major please let me know.

      The database is the same as from PangeaVR for the iPhone/iPod, so most of the panoramas you'll see right now are the old 2048x1024 resolution ones. However, there are a handful of people who have already updated their portfolios to include the new hi-rez panoramas at 4096x2048. I strongly encourage anyone who has submitted a portfolio to update it with the hi-rez images because they look amazing! You can find all the info you need about the new <linkhd> tag here: http://pangeasoft.net/pano/pangeavr/advanced.html

      Anyone who would like to submit their portfolio to the database but hasn't yet can find the info here: http://pangeasoft.net/pano/pangeavr/instructions-hd.html

      Enjoy!

      -Brian

      PS. Here's the official press release:

      ---- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ----

      Pangea Software Announces PangeaVR HD for iPad

      AUSTIN, TX – May 26, 2010 - Pangea Software, Inc., one of the leading app developers for the Apple iPhone and iPad announces the release of their VR panorama viewer "PangeaVR HD".

      PangeaVR HD is an app that allows the user to interactively view full-screen 360º VR panoramas on the iPad. It is a huge step forward in the evolution of their PangeaVR app for the iPhone that was released in 2008. The interface has been completely redesigned and it now supports high-resolution panoramas up to 4028x1024 in size. Panoramic photographers who wish to be able to display their VR panoramas on their iPad can now easily install them by using iTunes' file sharing capability.

      "Since PangeaVR came out for the iPhone there have been over 300 photographers from around the world who have added their panoramas to our database," says Brian Greenstone, President of Pangea Software. "There are now thousands of stunning panoramas ranging from a saké brewery in Japan to the interior of an Aston Martin to the top of Machu Picchu. Playing with PangeaVR is like going on a vacation to every corner of the planet."

      Using PangeaVR HD, the user can browse the huge panorama database, install their own panoramas, bookmark photographers that they like, and archive individual panoramas. Real estate agents who need to be able to show virtual tours of homes will find PangeaVR HD especially helpful.

      PangeaVR HD can be purchased on the App Store today for $14.99 at: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=373454824&mt=8

      The free version of PangeaVR for the iPhone and the paid version of PangeaVR Pro for the iPhone are both still available as well. The full details and screenshots of PangeaVR HD can be found on the Pangea Software web site at: http://pangeasoft.net/pano/pangeavr/instructions-hd2.html

      Members of the media requesting review copies of PangeaVR HD should contact brian@...

      ####

      About Pangea Software:

      Founded in 1987 by Brian Greenstone, Pangea Software, Inc. is a versatile and progressive software developer that is independently owned and operated. Based in Austin, TX, the award-winning Pangea team is focused on creating original titles for the Apple/Mac platform that are fun for the entire family.

      www.pangeasoft.net
    • Willy Kaemena
      Message 2 of 19 , May 26, 2010
        Thanks Brian

        I checked by chance a couple of hours ago and it was not yet online. I already started to make a set of larger equirects and will now change the XMLs tomorrow. Thanks for the update.

        Willy

        On May 26, 2010, at 20:01, Brian Greenstone wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > The free version of PangeaVR for the iPhone and the paid version of PangeaVR Pro for the iPhone are both still available as well. The full details and screenshots of PangeaVR HD can be found on the Pangea Software web site at: http://pangeasoft.net/pano/pangeavr/instructions-hd2.html
        >
        > Members of the media requesting review copies of PangeaVR HD should contact brian@...
        >
        > ####
        >
        > About Pangea Software:
        >
        > Founded in 1987 by Brian Greenstone, Pangea Software, Inc. is a versatile and progressive software developer that is independently owned and operated. Based in Austin, TX, the award-winning Pangea team is focused on creating original titles for the Apple/Mac platform that are fun for the entire family.

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 19 , May 26, 2010
          Hi Brian
          THANKS
          Congratulations on this :-)

          Tell me,
          is there a way to have both resolutions, to make it faster for people using
          the iPhone to see it ???
          I guess the bigger resolution, to show better on the iPAD sceen, will make
          it slower for iphone users ...

          What are your toughts on this ?

          Thanks
          AYRTON

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
        • Willy Kaemena
          Message 4 of 19 , May 26, 2010
            Ayrton
            read the instructions on Brian's site...

            you have to provide two resolutions and the new XML tag will point to the higher resolution pano....

            That easy

            Willy

          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 19 , May 26, 2010
              I love the responsiveness, but I implore you to think of any other way to
              bring up the menu than double click.

              Showing a new client your app shows this menu up dozens of times
              unexpectedly.

              Maybe a transparent corner overlay?

              And also to show two versions of the menu for portrait and landscape…

[...]

              &mt=8> &mt=8

              The free version of PangeaVR for the iPhone and the paid version of PangeaVR
              Pro for the iPhone are both still available as well. The full details and
              screenshots of PangeaVR HD can be found on the Pangea Software web site at:
              http://pangeasoft.net/pano/pangeavr/instructions-hd2.html

              Members of the media requesting review copies of PangeaVR HD should contact
              brian@... <mailto:brian%40pangeasoft.net>

              ####

              Message 6 of 19 , May 26, 2010
                On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                > Ayrton
                > read the instructions on Brian's site...
                >
                > you have to provide two resolutions and the new XML tag will point to the
                > higher resolution pano....

                SORRY :-)
                Thanks Willy
                always helping me :-)

                abraços
                AYRTON

> [...]
                > > > PangeaVR Pro for the iPhone are both still available as well. The full
                > > > details and screenshots of PangeaVR HD can be found on the Pangea
                > Software
                > > > web site at: http://pangeasoft.net/pano/pangeavr/instructions-hd2.html
                > > >
                > > > Members of the media requesting review copies of PangeaVR HD should
                > contact
                > > > brian@...
                > > >

                > > > ####
                > > >
                > > > About Pangea Software:
                > > >
                > > > Founded in 1987 by Brian Greenstone, Pangea Software, Inc. is a
                > versatile
                > > > and progressive software developer that is independently owned and
                > operated.
                > > > Based in Austin, TX, the award-winning Pangea team is focused on
                > creating
                > > > original titles for the Apple/Mac platform that are fun for the entire

                ------------
                | A Y R |
                | T O N |
              • Brian Greenstone
                Message 7 of 19 , May 26, 2010
                  That was how it worked in the iPhone version, but not in the iPad version. Now you just tap the red X in the corner to bring up the menu.

                  -Brian

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 26, 2010
                    Brian,
                    another question

                    Everytime I want to go to URL with a XML
                    to be able to download the equiretangular image
                    everytime I have to type it again,
                    'cause it always open up showing "la grange" URL !?!

                    There's another way to avoid this ?

                    THANKS

                    AYRTON

                    On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Brian Greenstone <brian@...>wrote:

                    > That was how it worked in the iPhone version, but not in the iPad version.
                    > Now you just tap the red X in the corner to bring up the menu.
                    >
                    > -Brian
                    >
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I love the responsiveness, but I implore you to think of any other way to
                    > > bring up the menu than double click.
                    > >
                    > > Showing a new client your app shows this menu up dozens of times
                    > > unexpectedly.
                    > >
                    > > Maybe a transparent corner overlay?
                    > >
                    > > And also to show two versions of the menu for portrait and landscape…

                    ------------
                    | A Y R |
                    | T O N |
                  • Bostjan Burger
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 26, 2010
                      I spent few weeks in Netherlands last month and had shot about 1K of panos covering almost all geographic hotspots of the country. It was not planed but as an example I get a pano of princess Maxime in Hague e.t.c. Now I wonder if I really need to blur all the faces, car license plates, boat license numbers and names, house numbers as I saw on GE Street View. Do I need to blur the face of the princess or 'only' faces of the people nearby…? I am really confused. The way as GE Street View is NO GO for me as the panos would be crippled… on the other hand when I look at the TV News broadcasting faces and licenses plates are clear … so why TV can but VR panorama not?  The example of the experiment of the Canal View of Amsterdam – shot handheld and with the help of risen monopod to about 3.5 m high – 4 shots: http://www.burger.si/Netherlands/Amsterdam/03.html.%c2%a0I did the same experiment with the purpose to find out how many panoramas can I take
                      with the handheld method, stitch them, program the virtual tour and publish it… all in one working day (I work about 14 hour per day/ 7 day per week ;) ): http://www.burger.si/Ljubljana/map_Ljubljana_prtrg_ljgrad.html.  The result was 180 VR panoramas… the nadirs were automatically blurred with the batch process. If I need to blur all the faces, shop names, license plates, house numbers… the time needed only for »blurring« would be at least additional day or even two… and result would be …khm… something »idiotic« ...

                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                        On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:58:38 +0900, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I spent few weeks in Netherlands last month and had shot about 1K of
                        > panos covering almost all geographic hotspots of the country.

                        I've always thought that Holland was good panorama country. The horizontal
                        dimensions of the scenes are so much larger than the vertical except in
                        the cities!

                        > It was not planed but as an example I get a pano of princess Maxime in
                        > Hague e.t.c. Now I wonder if I really need to blur all the faces, car
                        > license plates, boat license numbers and names, house numbers as I saw
                        > on GE Street View. Do I need to blur the face of the princess or 'only'
                        > faces of the people nearby…? I am really confused. The way as GE Street
                        > View is NO GO for me as the panos would be crippled… on the other hand
                        > when I look at the TV News broadcasting faces and licenses plates are
                        > clear … so why TV can but VR panorama not? The example of the
                        > experiment of the Canal View of Amsterdam – shot handheld and with the
                        > help of risen monopod to about 3.5 m high – 4 shots:
                        > http://www.burger.si/Netherlands/Amsterdam/03.html. I did the same
                        > experiment with the purpose to find out how many panoramas can I take
                        > with the handheld method, stitch them, program the virtual tour and
                        > publish it… all in one working day (I work about 14 hour per day/ 7 day
                        > per week ;)

                        I will be interested in the replies we get from our Dutch friends. I am
                        afraid that the law elsewhere is unlikely to be strictly applicable. We
                        are very fortunate here in Japan. There is no blanket rule, but it is
                        understood that if someone sees they are going to be in your picture
                        and asks you not to include them you politely agree and face away, or
                        wait till they are out of view. There are far fewer aggressive attempts
                        to force one view or defend another. More polite give and take. Although
                        I think if you demonstrated unwillingness to act as expected, things
                        might escalate rather quickly. That almost never happens, though. THere
                        seems to be a fairly well established consensus on what is acceptable.

                        The only possible exception is when commercials filmed in public
                        places show recognizable faces. Then, people who appear can ask for
                        a performer's fee or require that the shot be no longer used. This
                        happened to my best friend in Japan, who at the time was a rather
                        prominent market researcher serving many major companies. He was
                        horrified to see his face very distinctibe and easily recognizable
                        face in closeup used in a beer commercial. He objected and the
                        commercial was immediately discontinued. I think he also got a
                        case of beer and a groveling apology out of it...

                        > ): http://www.burger.si/Ljubljana/map_Ljubljana_prtrg_ljgrad.html. The
                        > result was 180 VR panoramas… the nadirs were automatically blurred with
                        > the batch process. If I need to blur all the faces, shop names, license
                        > plates, house numbers… the time needed only for »blurring« would be at
                        > least additional day or even two… and result would be …khm… something
                        > »idiotic« ...

                        The tour of Ljubjiana is really beautiful, very light and bright... It
                        would be a shame to deface these people, so many of them young and
                        good looking!

                        Roger W.

                        --
                        Business: www.adex-japan.com
                        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                          To the best of my knowledge, you don't need to blur anything, and you
                          shouldn't blur anything. Pictures are shot to be seen, not to be obscured
                          and vandalized in other ways. If your panos are shot in public areas, or in
                          private areas with the accept of the property owner, you have no obligation
                          to blur anything or anyone.

                          There are some people who have taken it upon themselves to follow in the
                          footsteps of Google Street view, and blur people's faces. This is something
                          that is NOT required by any law, nor should it ever be allowed to become
                          law.

                          License numbers on cars, house numbers, boat names.... same thing. I simply
                          refuse to "believe" (accept) that freedoms have been cut so much away in
                          Holland, that one can't take a picture there, without wrapping a few plastic
                          bags over the lens, to give that new "freedom blur" look.

                          Trausti

                          There are some

                          On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

                          > I spent few weeks in Netherlands last month and had shot about 1K of panos
                          > covering almost all geographic hotspots of the country. It was not planed
                          > but as an example I get a pano of princess Maxime in Hague e.t.c. Now I
                          > wonder if I really need to blur all the faces, car license plates, boat
                          > license numbers and names, house numbers as I saw on GE Street View. Do I
                          > need to blur the face of the princess or 'only' faces of the people nearby�?
                          > I am really confused. The way as GE Street View is NO GO for me as the panos
                          > would be crippled� on the other hand when I look at the TV News broadcasting
                          > faces and licenses plates are clear � so why TV can but VR panorama not?
                          > The example of the experiment of the Canal View of Amsterdam � shot
                          > handheld and with the help of risen monopod to about 3.5 m high � 4 shots:
                          > http://www.burger.si/Netherlands/Amsterdam/03.html. I did the same
                          > experiment with the purpose to find out how many panoramas can I take
                          > with the handheld method, stitch them, program the virtual tour and publish
                          > it� all in one working day (I work about 14 hour per day/ 7 day per week ;)
                          > ): http://www.burger.si/Ljubljana/map_Ljubljana_prtrg_ljgrad.html. The
                          > result was 180 VR panoramas� the nadirs were automatically blurred with the
                          > batch process. If I need to blur all the faces, shop names, license plates,
                          > house numbers� the time needed only for �blurring� would be at least
                          > additional day or even two� and result would be �khm� something �idiotic�

                        • Keith Martin
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                            Sometime around 26/5/10 (at 21:01 -0400) Sacha Griffin said:

                            >Showing a new client your app shows this menu up dozens of times
                            >unexpectedly.
                            >
                            >Maybe a transparent corner overlay?

                            YES! I've been meaning to bring this up for a long time.

                            I find that the popup panel appears every time I hand someone the
                            iPhone to play with a pano, and it *always* makes them think they've
                            done something wrong. This is my number 1 gripe with
                            PangeaVR/PangeaVR Pro on my iPhone. I haven't tried it on an iPad,
                            but I assume that it behaves the same. :-(

                            A corner overlay of some sort makes much more sense. Just a simple,
                            clean "x in a circle" graphic would do the job nicely and not freak
                            people out.

                            Separately, I find the process of archiving panos locally to be
                            rather clunky. I would much rather be able to archive an individual
                            pano at the point of browsing the scrolling list than have to enter
                            the URL to an XML file and get every pano linked from that document.
                            (Also, I've found that if I update my XML file to include new panos
                            they invariably don't get archived properly, showing a different pano
                            instead. The cure is to clear out all local archive content and start
                            from scratch - a bit of a downer.)

                            PangeaVR was a fabulous first step, and it looks like the underlying
                            logic is progressing well. Just a bit of UI and UX reevaluation (the
                            virtual wheel UI is not so good for such long lists) and it could be
                            a stunning tool.

                          • Keith Martin
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                              >just tap the red X in the corner to bring up the menu.

                              Sounds much better! Any chance of something similar for the iPhone version?

                            • Keith Martin
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                                Sometime around 26/5/10 (at 23:58 -0700) Bostjan Burger said:

                                >Now I wonder if I really need to blur all the faces, car license
                                >plates, boat license numbers and names, house numbers as I saw on GE
                                >Street View.

                                No. And PLEASE don't do this. Google has done it as a PR exercise,
                                but it isn't a requirement. (Unless, possibly, if you publish images
                                *of* people in Germany *from* Germany? Jeffrey, you said something
                                about this last week in Prague...)

                                Blurring faces and numberplates is not a requirement. Don't deface
                                (literally) your work.

                              • Keith Martin
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                                  Sometime around 27/5/10 (at 16:48 +0900) Roger D. Williams said:

                                  >We
                                  >are very fortunate here in Japan. There is no blanket rule, but it is
                                  >understood that if someone sees they are going to be in your picture
                                  >and asks you not to include them you politely agree and face away, or
                                  >wait till they are out of view.

                                  Not a law, but it is common courtesy.

                                  Basic rules of thumb that apply in most parts of the world: If you're
                                  going to use an image in a commercial context then you have to be
                                  very careful. If you're going to use it in an editorial context
                                  (which includes publishing on your own site as a collection of 'look
                                  at this cool place!' images) there's little to nothing that anyone
                                  can do about it if they appear in your shots.

                                  >I think if you demonstrated unwillingness to act as expected, things
                                  >might escalate rather quickly.

                                  Courtesy considerations aside, you are perfectly within your rights
                                  not to delete a photo you took if you don't want to. Forcing someone
                                  to do this (or doing it directly to someone's shots) is classed as
                                  assault in most Western countries - even if it is done by the police,
                                  unless they have a warrant.

                                  Even if you took shots where you shouldn't, for example on private
                                  property without permission, you are not legally obliged to delete
                                  them. Although you are also not allowed to publish them, and of
                                  course it might mean other charges, for example trespass, might be
                                  pressed if they're applicable.

                                  Personally, I find a friendly smile goes a very long way.

                                  >He objected and the
                                  >commercial was immediately discontinued.

                                  That's because of (1) commercial use and (2) probable implication of
                                  support for the product. Both big legal problems for the publisher of
                                  the image, hence the immediate response. It would be the same with
                                  still photos used in a print advert.

                                • Keith Martin
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                                    Having spoken my 'grumpy old man' piece about PangeaVR Pro's iPhone
                                    UI I've taken a look at the screenshots for the iPad version. Brian,
                                    this looks really nice. Yet another reason for me to (gulp) splash
                                    out on one of those things...

                                  • Brian Greenstone
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                                      Is this the iPhone or iPad version? They work very differently in regards to the URL stuff.

                                      -Brian

                                      > Brian,
                                      > another question
                                      >
                                      > Everytime I want to go to URL with a XML
                                      > to be able to download the equiretangular image
                                      > everytime I have to type it again,
                                      > 'cause it always open up showing "la grange" URL !?!
                                      >
                                      > There's another way to avoid this ?
                                      >
                                      > THANKS
                                      >
                                      > AYRTON
                                    • Sacha Griffin
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                                        Yes, something like that would be good on the iphone version as well. Maybe
                                        a transparent triangle in a corner would look nice..

                                        And for expert users, maybe an option to keep it the way it was with the
                                        double click.

                                        That was how it worked in the iPhone version, but not in the iPad version.
                                        Now you just tap the red X in the corner to bring up the menu.

                                        -Brian

                                        "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                                        > I love the responsiveness, but I implore you to think of any other way to
                                        > bring up the menu than double click.
                                        >
                                        > Showing a new client your app shows this menu up dozens of times
                                        > unexpectedly.
                                        >
                                        > Maybe a transparent corner overlay?
                                        >
                                        > And also to show two versions of the menu for portrait and landscape.

                                      • prague
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 27, 2010
                                          Can I solve this definitely for once and for all if it's not clear to anyone?

                                          Not that I'm privy to any information that you're not. But since this is my job I feel that I should be sure to understand it.

                                          Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong about any of these points.

                                          -Google blurs ALL the faces in streetview for 2 main reasons I guess: 1) it's good PR. 2) it's easier to use the same workflow for all images. It's good, for them, to show the public that they respect the idea that some people want privacy even though they are completely able to publish all these photos without blurring anything. Except in a couple of countries which are particularly paranoid - Germany (no offense guys), maybe France, and Switzerland (where there is still no streetview online, they have some very very strict privacy laws WRT photography in public, i guess) Anyway I understand and agree with google's position - streetview isn't artistic, it is a navigation tool, and people are in this case a distraction more than anything, and eliminating any discusion about it regardless of what the local law might be, is a win for them. ("we" make a different type of image, this is clear)

                                          -As Hans pointed out once this has had the VERY unpleasant collateral damage of making some people out there think that it is now the law that anytime you snap a picture in public that you have to blur the faces. this is not the case.

                                          -Laws for commercial photography apply - you can't shoot portraits of strangers in public and sell these photos which contain *only* a face. That's not allowed. If the photo is not for sale but rather is journalism (this definition i'm not quite entirely clear on) then it's ok. panoramas by their very nature almost never contain people as the sole or primary subject matter.

                                          -of course if someone asks it pays to be courteous and respect people's wishes (although to be clear there's no law about this either in most places)

                                          I don't really feel like starting a long discussion on this here, it has been discussed before.

                                          So, don't blur the princess, don't blur the license plates, don't blur anything. This is the world, this is photography, and in the world exist many photos and license plates. so be it.